Sign in to follow this  

KLX450R or upgrade my KDX200

Trying to decide whether to get a klx450r or give my kdx200 the total Fredette treatment, motor and suspension. I am a senior c hare scramble racer and trail rider. I will keep the kdx if I get the klx. Any input is appreciated and does anyone have feed back on Fredette upgrades? From the research Ive done the klx seems like a good choice.

I have read quite a bit about the KDX mods, as I owned a 2002 KDX220 recently. You can spend alot of money on those mods. My solution was to sell the KDX and buy a KTM 300 XC, which is a much better trail bike. It has better suspension and tons more power..low, mid, and top end. By the time you spend all of that money on mods, you could buy a nice KTM. The KLX wouldnt be my first choice for big bore 4t bikes, although I have read decent reviews. I would probably look at the WR 450 or KTM 450 EXC.

I agree with moto_rider, you are best off venturing out and getting a euro enduro bike. I too went from a KDX (few mods) to an EXC300 and it was a great upgrade in every way. My father (51 years old) went from a kdx220 to an EXC200 and he couldn't be happier. The size is up to you but if you do get one, visit the ktm section because there are some things you will want to know when you get one (getting a softer seat, locktite certain bolts, etc). KTMs can also be modified a lot for different power deliveries.

KTMs are set up for taller riders, so if you are smaller Gas Gas is another great option.

I also went from a KDX 200 hybrid to a KTM 300 and love it.One of my riding buddies has a 08 KLX 450r that I ride sometimes,and its also a great offroad bike.The KLX is quite a bit more heavy than the 300,it just depends what you want to ride 2 or 4 stroke.He has had no problems with the 450 as of yet:thumbsup:

I have a 08 KLX 450 im looking to get rid of... Its as new as it gets (400 miles on the ODO). skid plate.. oversize bars.. might even throw in a steering stabilizer...

The KLX 450 is a sweet bike. I bought it about 6 months ago with intentions of doing some dual sporting... but that never happened. Then I blew my load on a 2012 KTM 250xc.... now I could use a refill of the ol bank account.

I have a 08 KLX 450 im looking to get rid of... Its as new as it gets (400 miles on the ODO). skid plate.. oversize bars.. might even throw in a steering stabilizer...

The KLX 450 is a sweet bike. I bought it about 6 months ago with intentions of doing some dual sporting... but that never happened. Then I blew my load on a 2012 KTM 250xc.... now I could use a refill of the ol bank account.

A 2012 KTM 250xc would make me blow my load too :lol:

A 2012 KTM 250xc would make me blow my load too :)

really funny! and yes thats exactly what I meant when I worded it that way... that is until the $8k i spent and the issues Im still fighting on the xc...:lol:

i have had all three bikes. The KDX doesn't produce enough power no matter what you have Jeff F do to it. The KTM 200 is far better (i own one) and the KTM 300 is terrific, but feels larger than the 200's. The KLX is a whole different world with torque everywhere, although I just bought one so time will tell regarding my final opinion. I tore my KLX up in one day. Note, it is pretty heavy compared to the other bikes but I do love the power. It is all about what you can find used, in good shape and at a decent price. If I could buy new, I would chose the KTM 300 with electric start or the ktm 450.