Sign in to follow this  

Kawasaki wont Shut Off ????

Bizzare....put a clean carb back on the bike and started up the bike and she idled really high...tried to dial in a lower rpm, however decided to shut off the bike with the kill switch...that didn't work....tried uplugging the spark plug boot....that didn't work.....had to shut off gas and she died in a few seconds...

Not sure what can cause such a phenomenom.....running too rich?

Too lean, too much compression, not high enough MON number of fuel. In some situations gasoline Internal combustion engines will run without a spark at the plug just like a Diesel (compression ignition). Another cool tidbit, your two stroke will also run backwards. All your normal forward gears would then perform equally as well in reverse, that is if you can control it with rear steering arrangement.

Just curious, what was it like taking the plug cap off while it was running? Did it bite you?

did the bike work before the cleaning(shut off I mean)?

Didn't bite me when I pulled off the plug.....was waiting for it.

I just picked up this beater for $250 (89 kdx200) wasn't running. Got it running and noticed coolant in exhaust pipe....ripped off the head, put in a new head gasket. Ran good for about 1 mile the other day then the needle jet broke off in carb. Had to use a CR250 needle because the needle that was in the bike was bent and eventually broke too.

Did notice the throttle sticking when I first got it running....and that needle 1172 was all bent up.

Today, I picked up another Keihin pwk carb thinking the old brass in the needle jet sleeve was worn out. Ordered new jets and needles 1173N coming from sudco tomorrow....

pressure test the engine before trying to run it again. something doesnt sound right. if it holds pressure, than its something else. check your carb boot for cracks that may run all the way threw it, sucking in air. could suck air in threw the exhaust flange. my banshee did that with aftermarket pipes and melted a hole in the piston.

I'm going to take out the "honda" needle jet tomorrow when the correct 1173n needle comes in. I also had the "honda" needle at the leanest condition.

Could the KIPS cause such a problem?

took the needle and put it on the lowest setting (raised needle). Turned in the air screw all the way. Fired her up and ran much better, started to smoke a little......ran up and down the country street I live on with no street lights and my lights dont work yet using my sneakers as a brake as I haven't fixed those yet either.......now and then the idle will stick, but not as bad as before and the bike DID shut off when I used the kill switch, everytime. When the throttle sticks a little it sometimes comes down, sometimes you give it a little more gas and it comes down.....the more throttle you give it, the chances are it may stick more......letting out the clutch in gear helps to bring down the throttle.

I swaped the throttle cable with my kdx175 yesterday.

Could it be the slide throttle body? This is the same part I took off the old carb?

Bizzare....put a clean carb back on the bike and started up the bike and she idled really high...tried to dial in a lower rpm, however decided to shut off the bike with the kill switch...that didn't work....tried uplugging the spark plug boot....that didn't work.....had to shut off gas and she died in a few seconds...

Not sure what can cause such a phenomenom.....running too rich?

I actually had this happen to met a few days ago. I had my throttle cable routed wrong from putting the bike back together, and so I took the cable off of the throttle and put it were it was supposed to be. Well I forgot to adjust the cable back to the same position it was before, so my throttle was about 1/4 open. The bike didn't shut off till it ran out of fuel. Shocked the heck out out my hand too.

But as someone else has already said, the 2 stroke is a lot like a diesel.

If there is enough fuel there, the engine will keep running.

something is still causing the rpm's to increase now and then...especially when i give the biek more throttle......for a little while today, before the bike heated up, the sticky throttle was not too bad.....however after a little driving without any liquid coolant, the sticky throttle increased....i guess.

When you say "sticky throttle" do you mean the throttle is sticking at any other position other than closed or do you mean the rpm is hanging above idle when you are not turning the throttle?

Swap the carb, lube the throttle cable, clean the throttle tube and housing (no grease) and reinstall everything. Before you put the subframe on, make sure the throttle is operating normally and 'snapping' back closed.

Something sounds wrong with that original carb or the top cap might be cross threaded.

Replaced the carb already, except the replacement carb didn't have the slide so I reused the old one....which is probably my next attempt.

I noticed the top cap of the throttle (where the cable goes into carb) didn't have a gasket so I made one with permatex....didn't help, or I didn't do a good job. The cap doesnt go on without a little finagling due to the threading being a little messed up, but the cap does go on straight and tight.