Sign in to follow this  

After wash maintenance

Hi, just wondering what things you're meant to do to your bike after it's been cleaned. What i do is jet wash it then apply wd40 on the chain to get the water of it then lube it and just spray wd40 on chain adjuster bolts, footpegs and general nuts and bolts to stop em goin rusty, then jut leave the bike to dry on its own. But i there anything else that you're meant to do that i missed?? Thnx :lol::)

clean the air filter

change the oil

check for any kind of loose nuts bolts sprockets

I dry my bike with those microfiber drying towels after I wash it. I find that they take off any dirt that is left and prevents the dried up water droplets from appearing.

If I don't wipe it down, it really doesn't look that clean.

I lube the chain first , then i use No Touch Tire Care spray , and spray the entire bike , let it set for a few , then wipe it all down with a towel , it makes the plastic shine , the tires look like new again , and it actually helps the next time i ride because the dirt does not stick as easily , it still sticks , but it comes off easier

i clean and detail my bike to the T i mean you could eat off it ..polish the metal bits and all plastic wiped and every crevice dirt is removed ..then you go riding ..then- i spray it down with hose/soap and it usually comes clean with minimal detailing afterwards due to the prep work of detailing it in the first place..i dont spray wd 40 thats cheating!! on street bikes its easier just bugs on fairing and chain lube on wheels to wipe off...i use simple green /hot water when its time to sell......

After washing, I start the bike and let it idle for a few minutes, then take an easy run down the street. The hot engine and wind evaporates all the water off critical parts and the centrifugal force ejects all the water from the chain and wheels. I put the bike up dry when I'm done.

They are called dirt bikes for a reason. I ride it, park it, and go drink beer.:lol: If I wanted to detail a bike all day I wouldn't have sold my Harley.

MAX!!!

They are called dirt bikes for a reason. I ride it, park it, and go drink beer.:lol: If I wanted to detail a bike all day I wouldn't have sold my Harley.

MAX!!!

That's hilarious. Pretty true though.

^ yeah but at the same time I paid good money for my bike...I don't want it sitting looking all crappy and dirty. I like my things to look nice no matter what they are

True, but I've found the resale on the bikes that I've kept stain free is a lot higher than the bikes that I've put away dirty. Get dirt off the bike ASAP and it will stay looking almost new indefinitely. That can mean several $100 more in your pocket when it's time to sell it.

True, but I've found the resale on the bikes that I've kept stain free is a lot higher than the bikes that I've put away dirty. Get dirt off the bike ASAP and it will stay looking almost new indefinitely. That can mean several $100 more in your pocket when it's time to sell it.

This is true. After washing I use a leaf blower to remove all the water and after changing the air filter I'll warm the bike up to make sure all the moisture is gone. Then I spray everything down with Pledge furniture polish. Keeps my bike looking new.

i actually try to avoid water, if the track is nicely prepped and you have perfect conditions there is little dirt that accumulates on the bike. i find that when spraying it (or pressure washer) that the water gets into places it shouldn't... when i do wash it i use a waterproof contact cleaner and spray the inside of the levers (where they pivot), all electrics, the chain, footpegs, linkage and swing arm seals, etc... i find the stuff gets accumulated water out of the mechanisms, connections and seals.

i actually try to avoid water, if the track is nicely prepped and you have perfect conditions there is little dirt that accumulates on the bike.

Wow, if I tried to avoid water here in the PNW, and waited for "perfect conditions" I would never be able to ride! If I was so worried about how pretty my bike looked sitting in the garage I would probably not want to take my bike out for a couple hour ride after work to blow off steam a day or two a week on my property either. If I wasn't able to ride very often, I might be a little more meticulous though. If I'm unable to ride, I at least like to be around it wrenching and such.

That's being said, I wash the big stuff off, and save the meticulous cleaning for when I plan on doing my maintenance, before a long weekend trip when I need to do a good inspection for any loose bolts, damage, and ect...

If I'm doing a detailed cleaning, I wash it thoroughly with a hose and simple green, (dish soap on seat and plastics) run the bike for awhile to evaporate the moisture, a coat of WD40 on the metal parts/engine, tire foam on the plastics, then dry and oil chain.

WD40 on everything!

Anything that is a moving part at least, and it makes plastics look AMazing!

WD40 on plastics will dull them down eventually, due to its petroleum base :)

Try silicone spray, or some non-petroleum based thing.

All the shine of WD40, without the dulling! :lol:

MAX!!!

I ride it,clean it and have a beer at the same time,plus resale I allways seem to get better $$$$ than others.

CANUCK!!!!!