Sign in to follow this  

85 xr100

i am new to forum.... i got 85 xr100 its pretty much ragged out, rims are mostly straight,hold air...ect. son is getting for christmas,needs to learn to change gears. it should last a few years,can be a slow resto project so he can learn more than just changing gears. Problem is kid i bought it from said it had a carb problem,had to tow to get started...Checked oil level good enough poured in gas kicked an adjusted carb an points til it ran for minuet or two .So changed the oil an sprayed most of the crud off with hose,4hrsof kickin an more adjusting NOT A THING. I know just enough to be dangerous can use all the help i can get christmas isa gettn closer.

got spark got gas will run for a couple of seconds every now and then.need direction of where to go,leg is killing me. also need right side muffler plastic.

I would start by making sure the valves are in spec, there are how to's for the valves listed within the forum. Also ensure that your cam chain has the appropriate tension, its a pretty straight forward procedure. Doing both of the above will save you a lot of heartache down the road !

I would certainly pull apart the carb ensure that your jets are nice and clean. I had a problem with my low speed jet getting clogged repeatedly as gunk ran out of the lines and the carb after running it for the first time in 7 years !

By the way I am in NC as well, if you are in the Raleigh area and you need assistance let me know. I am not a pro but I rebuilt my XR pretty much from the ground up.

Valve clearance on stock motor is 0.05mm or 0.002" for both intake and exhaust. I highly recommend getting a clymer manual. Check amazon or ebay. It will make your life much easier.

thanks for all the info,just waiting on misc parts and manual,currently at local shop good thing too...would never have known fuel screw tip was broken off.will post video on youtube at shaneridesagain.

why would the flywheel have movement in it?...drain plug looks stripped can i go larger? i'am sure i got screwed on price paid but i'am in it now,looks as though its going resto. any help is greatly appreciated and needed.

According to some, Pre CDI flywheel's are noted for being difficult to keep tight on the crank (probably because a very few people actually have the correct tool to hold the flywheel while torquing down the nut). Socalxr has mentioned the problem here many times.

If you're buying a manual, the Clymer tends to be a little easier to navigate than the OE.

PM me your email address and will send you a FREE :bonk: manual in pdf format. Helping out a fellow Thumper Talker. :smirk:

• Like 1

You print it out, it is alot of pages. It is FREE...:bonk:

• Like 1