Sign in to follow this  

WR250 vs XT250 - Confused!

I'm not a well educated as I should be but my girl and I are looking to ride together. I sat on an XT250 (used to ride a 1981 XT250 back in the day) and I loved that it was comfortable. Didn't like how low it was. Then, I sat on a WR250 and I like the seat height, but the seat was uncomfortable (I'm not expecting a Lexus) and it was heavy. Question, do they basically, being 250's, reach the same speed and what will I notice in performance? I know the XT250 is right for her and I'll be honest, there's a little feeling of "girl bike" on the XT250 but at the end of the day, I know I'm going to want to enjoy the bike and the ride. All this was in the dealership. Can someone help me figure out what is the difference - is it torque or ? I know this is probably a pathetic question, but was taught the only dumb question is the one not asked. Thank you. (Christmas present for ourselves).

xt 250: air cooled, 5 speed and more trail than off road oriented

. lower rpm motor and more luggable.

wr 250r/x: liquid cooled 6 speed with more offroad capable suspension. motor likes to pull better at upper rpms.

i do not know the top speed on the xt but the wr will hit 90mph with stock gearing. gearing is one of the things you will need to adjust for your riding area.

Comparing an XT to the WR is like comparing VW Beetle to a Porsche.

One is very simple, reliable, and basic.

The other has better suspension, engine, and is much improved in just about any way you want to measure it.

I love my WR250R. But before I bought it, I looked at the XT250.....for about three seconds. The XT was simply too small for me. Once I added some taller bars to the WR, it fit me perfectly.

i looked at both the WR250R and the XT250, both were 2009 and newer, i went with the XT250 for a few reasons.

Very reliable, alot more affordable, only thing required to do is change the engine oil and oil filter every couple thousand miles (oil and filter about $12 bucks), 5 speed (not so much shifting to do while street riding) and the most important was IT IS SO FREAKING COMFORTABLE TO RIDE OFF ROAD AND ESPECIALLY ON ROAD! (ive had a few dirt bikes before, and the XT250 is the most comfortable BY FAR)

The WR250R is nice too, one of the things i really liked about it was its FI so that is nice, but i just wanted more simplicity and reliability, i go off roading for about 2 hours every weekend (got a spot 11 miles from my garage) and i wanted something to be nice and comfy on the road, i am 5'9 and weigh about 160 pounds and have had my XT250 to 83mph (it had a little more to give, but i stopped cause it was FAST!, lol)

even tho im kinda short at 5'9, i could reach the ground on both bikes, but the XT250 just fealt alot better, so its fine at trail riding (does everything i throw at it) and its plenty fast for me on the street as well, super comfortable and REALLY gets 75-80 mpg.

so the choice is up to you, some people want more speed and better off roading i guess, so the WR250R should fit them better, for me, the XT250 fits just right, not to mention i got a great deal on it as well.

here's mine

xt24.jpg

xt12.jpg

Either one you choose should be nice, just dont listen to all that (XT250 is a glorified scooter talk) cause from personal experience, its truly a great bike.

I have the WRR. The XT is sort of the replacement for the XT225, but not the same bike.

The WRR is the more serious of the two.

If you are an aggressive off road rider, the very obvious suspension/chassis upgrades of the WRR components alone are worth the additional cost. If you are more of a "trail rider' then the XT may be for you. I tend to be at the aggressive end, although at my age, the prospect of extended hospital stays tempers my riding.

I like my WRR very much, but it has some shortcomings (what doesn't?) that have all been addressed. You're right: the stock seat is very much like the seats on the competition bikes, where sitting is not a normal riding position. I'm not a competition rider, so I had my seat redone. It isn't a touring bike seat, but is a lot better. It (and the XT) both need bash plates. I have the Flatland item. The tires on both are crap, but they wear out and need changing anyway. The gearing on the WRR is too high stock, but that was fixed when the rear tire was changed.

Neither is perfect out of the box, but I don't think I'm too far off base if I say that it will take you quite a bit longer to outgrow the capabilities of the WRR; as opposed to the XT. Most of us WRR owners have made the same mods, and are all waiting for the 450cc version. I think we'll have a long wait. But the WRR has gone everywhere and done everything I've wanted to do, so it works very well for me. Ideally, it needs to lose 40 pounds and gain 20 horsepower, but that's crazy talk and I know it.

Even geared down, I still get about 65 MPG mixed on and off road. I don't spare the horses and run the snot out of it. The D606 tires I run are noisy on the road, but mine is altered more towards the dirt end. I have another bike for street use, so most of my mods make the WRR more dirt worthy, and less street oriented. After 44 years of motorcycles and riding, I don't miss carburetors. I doubt I'll go back unless forced to do so.

WR250 vs XT250 - Confused!

Then, I sat on a WR250

Just to clarify, which WR250 were you sitting on - WR250R, WR250X, WR250F ?

Note - there was even a WR250 2-stroke years ago...

I just went on an all day dual sport ride with about 10 experienced off-road riders. KTM450exc, WR450F (converted), several DRZ400's, a brand new KLX250 and an XT250...I was on my WR250r. All of them worked well both off-road and on the highway. We were all on the gas most of the time, and there wasn't much catch-up by anyone, dirt or street. All bikes worked well off-road in rough terrain conditions. My WR250 has a modified rear suspension, a safari tank, and an aftermarket seat, with gearing only one-tooth down on the rear -My gripe is that to make it work for me I have too much money in it, just for basics. The stock rear shock sucks IMO, big time. I think it was as fast as any on the hiway, faster than most, real top speed uprite was about 80 MPH - but who rides that fast on a dual sport anyway - we were playing games. The oldest rider (in his late sixties I would guess) kept up fine on his XT250.

Whatever bike you get, dial it in for your own comfort and go --- you might want to check out the kawasaki KLX250 - it's quite cheaper than the WRR, has better grunt down low, good suspension with a better rear shock, better stock tank range (the KLX with us was on it's shake-down ride and he just made the entire loop, about 160 miles, on his stock tank using reserve).

The only drawbike I see with the XT250 is that if you are an aggressive off-road guy, the front suspension will eventually let you down - otherwise, so what.

I have the WRR. The XT is sort of the replacement for the XT225, but not the same bike.

The WRR is the more serious of the two.

If you are an aggressive off road rider, the very obvious suspension/chassis upgrades of the WRR components alone are worth the additional cost. If you are more of a "trail rider' then the XT may be for you. I tend to be at the aggressive end, although at my age, the prospect of extended hospital stays tempers my riding.

I like my WRR very much, but it has some shortcomings (what doesn't?) that have all been addressed. You're right: the stock seat is very much like the seats on the competition bikes, where sitting is not a normal riding position. I'm not a competition rider, so I had my seat redone. It isn't a touring bike seat, but is a lot better. It (and the XT) both need bash plates. I have the Flatland item. The tires on both are crap, but they wear out and need changing anyway. The gearing on the WRR is too high stock, but that was fixed when the rear tire was changed.

Neither is perfect out of the box, but I don't think I'm too far off base if I say that it will take you quite a bit longer to outgrow the capabilities of the WRR; as opposed to the XT. Most of us WRR owners have made the same mods, and are all waiting for the 450cc version. I think we'll have a long wait. But the WRR has gone everywhere and done everything I've wanted to do, so it works very well for me. Ideally, it needs to lose 40 pounds and gain 20 horsepower, but that's crazy talk and I know it.

Even geared down, I still get about 65 MPG mixed on and off road. I don't spare the horses and run the snot out of it. The D606 tires I run are noisy on the road, but mine is altered more towards the dirt end. I have another bike for street use, so most of my mods make the WRR more dirt worthy, and less street oriented. After 44 years of motorcycles and riding, I don't miss carburetors. I doubt I'll go back unless forced to do so.

While we're talking xts, tell us about your xt1200. Reviews have that as bad-*ss!

While we're talking xts, tell us about your xt1200. Reviews have that as bad-*ss!

Think of it as a giant Yamaha Enduro, that can loaf along at 80 MPH, carry all your stuff, and go on any road, but not a Dirt Bike. At almost 600 pounds, it is a bit much on true technical stuff. I've already tried that, and have a rock dent in the header to show for it. All day comfort, 44-48 mpg and enough engine and space for you, wife, dog, luggage, etc.

A proper description is an All-Road bike, with Road being the operative word. Anywhere you can take your F150 4WD, this can go. I almost caught up to some dirt bikes on a rocky section, but I don't think they were trying that hard, and I was. Roomy and surprisingly competent as a mountain road strafing device as well as climbing steep, rocky hills.

I'd recommend one.

Love the WR but the seat and I have never gotten along. My friend just had his redone by Fisher and I like it.