Sign in to follow this  

Seat Reccomendations, please?

I just bought a NEW 2009 WR250F. I must say that I love the bike. It's awesome...and the dealer is supposed to pull the exhaust baffle, cut rev limiter wire, and do the throttle stop mod this week or weekend.

Anyway, the worst thing about the bike....actually, the only thing I don't like, is the seat. I'm doing a lot of trail riding, and this seat is horribly hard...and since I'm a skinny type of guy, I don't have much for "natural" padding down there.

I want a seat that is softer, but still not ghetto looking. I want something that may or may not be exactly the same appearance as the original, but I do want it to look like it was meant to be on the bike. In other words, I don't want it to be obvious to everybody that doesn't even own a bike, that it's not original.

And of course, I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I really don't want to have to do the seat work myself, meaning that I don't want to peel off the cover and put it back on. I just want to replace the whole seat.

thanks!!

I have an SDG tall seat on my YZf... It's like riding on a couch. I have ridden for six hours with just a few short breaks, and my skinny backside doesn't hurt. They sell complete seats for around $100. Two bolts and done, fit perfectly.

With the WR 07+, you don't have a lot of options for a complete seat. SDG makes them for YZF but not WRF. You can buy seat cover & foam from Guts Racing or you can modify your current foam by drilling holes in the foam, etc.

Are you looking for a taller seat or just softer? (I assume just softer?) IF only softer, then your seat will soften up a bit from just riding so keep the faith.

And btw, softer seats are not really where it's at, anyway. A soft seat will trap in you the foam and make it harder to move forward/back on the seat.

How about this- get a pair of bicycle riding type shorts? MSR and others sell them, and the shorts will do wonders to save on the back side.

I am afraid that a "tall" seat will be too tall. I looked up SDG seats and Tucker Rocky does show one for the WR250/450. Perhaps they didn't have it or hadn't cross-referenced it last you looked. http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2010/default.asp?p=215&s=2

Are these 2 tone blue/black seats made of the same material (gripper type), or smooth? how about the black?

As for egg crate foam, I really don't want to pull the cover off a seat. I'm not an upholstery guy and would likely mess it up. I'd rather just buy another seat and not have to worry with it coming off later, or looking like crap.

The issue of the soft seat not allowing you to slide is interesting. My KLX and this WR both have "gripper" type seats and I really don't like them. I'd rather not have something that feels so sticky... but my main concern is still that the seat is so hard. About 2hrs of riding and my butt is sore. I do think that next time I ride, I will wear some sort of underarmor underwear so that my jeans don't rub me raw.

THanks for the answers and comments.

That appears to be just the seat cover. The listing at the top of that page is the whole seat, and the WR is only made for 03-04

Get up off the seat and into the attack position and attack those trail from a standing position. This will cure all monkey butt problems.

Get up off the seat and into the attack position and attack those trail from a standing position. This will cure all monkey butt problems.

If that was a fix, motorcycles wouldn't have seats. :lol:

i think there right, i had the same problem as you on my cr85 with a gripper seat cover and the foam was soft too, a little broken down, when i moved up to my yz125 with stock seat which is harder the problem seemed to go away, give it some time the seat will get softer, and actually i like the seat harder, you also said you were riding in jeans, i would invest in some riding pants before buying a seat or cover, id buy pants and motoshorts, i bet that will fix your problem right there

i think there right, i had the same problem as you on my cr85 with a gripper seat cover and the foam was soft too, a little broken down, when i moved up to my yz125 with stock seat which is harder the problem seemed to go away, give it some time the seat will get softer, and actually i like the seat harder, you also said you were riding in jeans, i would invest in some riding pants before buying a seat or cover, id buy pants and motoshorts, i bet that will fix your problem right there

It will take care of the rubbing, yes. I did just buy some "long johns" that are like under armor. I plan to wear them tomorrow. I'd bet it will solve the rubbing problem, but not the sore butt problem. I really like a soft seat..always have, even on a street bike. That's one reason I don't like honda sportbikes. The seats are always hard as a board.

trust me, it will get softer, my friend complained about the same thing on his yz250f and after putting some hours on it its way softer than mine and he actually didint like it at first and now he loves it.... if that does not work then i would probably drill holes, idk but i do know with time they get softer, and if you have not riding in a long time you have a sore but for the first couple rides..... like when i come back from the winter season and go to the track for the first time after that im usually a little sore.... but i play ice hockey in the winter and spring so im in shape too

trust me, it will get softer, my friend complained about the same thing on his yz250f and after putting some hours on it its way softer than mine and he actually didint like it at first and now he loves it.... if that does not work then i would probably drill holes, idk but i do know with time they get softer, and if you have not riding in a long time you have a sore but for the first couple rides..... like when i come back from the winter season and go to the track for the first time after that im usually a little sore.... but i play ice hockey in the winter and spring so im in shape too

I will give it some time and see how it goes. I hope it softens up fast.

Ask around for a local trusted upholstery business that also specializes in bike seats. Many around here use http://fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html

I've seen their stuff on Baja-bound bikes and local pro mx and off-road racers.

I always give my new seat/bike/long layoff a few rides to "mesh". And it gives me time to remind myself to stand up more! But sometimes a seat and rider don't get along (me and the WR250R must've been bitter exes in a past life).