Sign in to follow this  

2011/12 Clutch

anyone else notice the clutch doesnt last too long? i got a 12 and the clutch was just about smoked at 15 hours... im usually very good about clutch usage and play in the lever, but never had a clutch go this fast. MXA recommends stiffer springs and they even talk about how fast they wear out. any input or info on clutch kits, springs, etc. to make them last longer let me know..( also a local pro told me to put in 2mm spacers on top of the clutch springs, heard of that at all? )

im about to order another set of stock plates and some Pro Circuit Springs

I have an 11 and was told to put PC springs in it.

Going to put them in my 12 if all goes to plan

I had to put PC springs in mine and Im willing to bet Im easier on the clutch then anyone else here. Coming off the yamaha this is one of the biggest downfalls I have with my kawi. Great bike but the clutch and fit and finish are lacking.

If you're putting anything less than a quart of oil, like the factory manual suggests, than that might be the problem. In 09' the manual suggested putting something like 690ml. In 10' they changed it to something like 800. I put in a quart every time.

If you're putting anything less than a quart of oil, like the factory manual suggests, than that might be the problem. In 09' the manual suggested putting something like 690ml. In 10' they changed it to something like 800. I put in a quart every time.

i put in 800ml everytime, thats what the manual suggests and even the sight glass says its within spec. ( i never go off that regardless). everything ive heard or read is all about PC springs. has anyone ever tried spacers on top of the springs. a local pro is using stock plates and spring with .060 spacers on top of the springs, he says they make the clutch last longer with less fade as the clutch gets hot, any info?

I had to put PC springs in mine and Im willing to bet Im easier on the clutch then anyone else here. Coming off the yamaha this is one of the biggest downfalls I have with my kawi. Great bike but the clutch and fit and finish are lacking.

i just came off 6 years of yamahas, 2 yz125s and a yz250. never had problems with clutches on thoses bikes whatsoever

Yes running less the 1000ccs of oil will increase the likely hood of burning up clutches.. How ever I run 1l and Im on clutch #4 or 5 in 50hrs the stock oem clutch lasted 23-25hrs.. How ever keep in mind I burnt one clutch up due to an oil leak. and the oem clutch I got at LLs has probably 10-15 hard hrs on it and still strong..

I don´t get what is up with the clutches lately. I´m no clutch abuser, but I don´t baby it by any means. My stock clutch has 110 hours on it. I took it out last winter and everything was in spec. I just put it back in and rode another 40 hours.

Maybe the 09 had different/better materials? As far as I know, the spring rate is the same.

I have always put in 1 liter from the beginning.

*edit* Just checked, all part numbers are the same and the spring rate is 10.7 N/mm. Strange deal.

just as another data point, I am doing good with my stock clutch pack, '11 KX250F, ~33 hrs. I did put in a hinson basket, pressure plate, and hub at about 20 hrs, but I have not changed the stock frictions or steels. I am using barnett clutch springs. They are pretty nice and are only $18 for a set. I will probably get a set of hinson frictions when I do need them.

At work we just got a service letter from Kawasaki stating that the 2011/2012 clutch cable is shorter than the 2010. If you are running the factory perch this will not be a problem but if you have an aftermarket you will need to run a cable off a 2010. They say this will stop the slippage issues.

A side note they also have an alternate chain guide for the front of the swing arm (09-12) that is made of a stiffer rubber so it wont wear down so fast.

new number is 12053-0192

At work we just got a service letter from Kawasaki stating that the 2011/2012 clutch cable is shorter than the 2010. If you are running the factory perch this will not be a problem but if you have an aftermarket you will need to run a cable off a 2010. They say this will stop the slippage issues.

A side note they also have an alternate chain guide for the front of the swing arm (09-12) that is made of a stiffer rubber so it wont wear down so fast.

new number is 12053-0192

I know the throttle cables were shorter but the clutch cable I believe was is the same length.. nothing has changed to warrent a diffrent clutch cable from 2010 to 2011/12 the routing is exactly the same the engine position did not change nor did the position of the clutch arm.. regardless I'm using the stock clutch perch [i am using an aftermarket lever] so duno..

well did a part number look up and they are different.. regardless my issue wasn't because of that because I am using the stock perch..