Sign in to follow this  

1986 yz250 pinging question

quick question for the 2 stroke gods on here. ive got my 86 YZ250 running, it idles great and in neutral revs just fine. under load 1/2-3/4 throttle get massive pinging and loss of power. the bike does have an FMF pipe, and im unsure if the bike was jetted for this before i got it. i got it not running. does pinging come and go like that threw out the twist of the throttle? i always thought it was a constant pinging, but ive been wrong before. also plug is black and dry.

if this is a jetting issue if should be a quick MJ swap and a drop of the clip on the needle correct? i just want to run it by someone else before i start buying parts, and its already been a long day, im kinda sick and who knows how my brain is working right now. thanks guys

if this is a jetting issue if should be a quick MJ swap and a drop of the clip on the needle correct? i just want to run it by someone else before i start buying parts, and its already been a long day, im kinda sick and who knows how my brain is working right now. thanks guys

Sounds reasonable, I'd probably just try adjusting the needle first and then see how that goes before swapping brass. Also once you get your needle dialed in, to test the main jet you need to do plug chops.