2012 GasGas

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Rumor is that new airbox is not working as they needed and thats the delay.

Talked to my GG dealer yesterday and they said they are going with the old air-box and retro fitting models. Interesting that posters (either here or on GG forum) mentioned the design of the air-box looking like it would allow dirt to fall towards the intake when removing the cartridge just from looking at the picture of the bike. Yet, the paid engineers didn't count/figure on this??

Still, hope the rest of the bike is as good as it looks.

.Yet, the paid engineers didn't count/figure on this??

They changed the cartridge design because they weren't seeing performance improvements with the new air box and the new cylinder, so they reverted to the old style airbox which did yield better performance. Something about the new airbox not flowing efficiently under heavy load (high rpm). I figure it was too narrow and couldn't flow enough.

And there is a problem with the rear brake pedal. Others have pointed this out on this forum. It is so high that constant riding is a real problem so bad that the US distributor had his TOTALLY removed. Apparently it cannot be adjusted to a usable height. He resorted to a bar mounted assembly of some sort. Another engineering flaw hard to understand. Not a ringing endorsement of the GG testing procedures. This can be seen in the current issue of Dirt Rider.

And there is a problem with the rear brake pedal. Others have pointed this out on this forum. It is so high that constant riding is a real problem so bad that the US distributor had his TOTALLY removed. Apparently it cannot be adjusted to a usable height. He resorted to a bar mounted assembly of some sort. Another engineering flaw hard to understand. Not a ringing endorsement of the GG testing procedures. This can be seen in the current issue of Dirt Rider.

On the 11 or 12?

A little inaccurate on why the bike importer removing the brake pedal. Clay has run a handlebar mounted brake lever for the last 10 years on his KTM's, Husabergs, and now GasGas's. It suites his Tennessee riding style (whatever that is) and this way no one wants to borrow his bike.:bonk:

The GasGas rear pedal is changing in design for 2012, but the previous design didn't allow for larger footed, bigger american's and our riding style to ride the pedal very well. You have to remove the caliper and hacksaw off the stem to allow for a much, much lower ride height than they prefer in Europe. The only other issue was it was mounted using a bolt, bushing sleeve that after extensive use would wear out and get sloppy, needing to be replaced once every year or so. A $20 maintainence issue at most. In 2012 the bike will have a studded mount to the frame for the pedal to ride on. I will get some pictures for everyone next week in Spain.

I hope i cleared it up a little for everyone?

Mark,

GoFasters

Yes Clay has the 11. Without sawing off a small piece on my 10 I had a tendency to drag the rear brake a little while standing; coldndn't get enough out of the adjuster. LOL I think I would crash without a rear foot brake. Small problem for some on an awesome bike. Mark I can't wait to see your pics of the 12's!!!

Edited by john01

A little inaccurate on why the bike importer removing the brake pedal. Clay has run a handlebar mounted brake lever for the last 10 years on his KTM's, Husabergs, and now GasGas's. It suites his Tennessee riding style (whatever that is) and this way no one wants to borrow his bike.?

The GasGas rear pedal is changing in design for 2012, but the previous design didn't allow for larger footed, bigger american's and our riding style to ride the pedal very well. You have to remove the caliper and hacksaw off the stem to allow for a much, much lower ride height than they prefer in Europe. The only other issue was it was mounted using a bolt, bushing sleeve that after extensive use would wear out and get sloppy, needing to be replaced once every year or so. A $20 maintainence issue at most. In 2012 the bike will have a studded mount to the frame for the pedal to ride on. I will get some pictures for everyone next week in Spain.

I hope i cleared it up a little for everyone?

Mark,

GoFasters

Thanks. I stand corrected. :bonk:

Not sure about the US or EU but in Canada (BC) the pricing is the same for either the E-start or kicker. Found that interesting as well. Pricing for the CC 300 is looking like around $9300 CND and I think $8800 or so for the 250. Those aren't the exact numbers but around what I heard they would be listed for. So about $200 more than comparable KTM's or Husaberg TE's.

Not sure about the US or EU but in Canada (BC) the pricing is the same for either the E-start or kicker. Found that interesting as well. Pricing for the CC 300 is looking like around $9300 CND and I think $8800 or so for the 250. Those aren't the exact numbers but around what I heard they would be listed for. So about $200 more than comparable KTM's or Husaberg TE's.

I was quoted 9300 OTD for a 300. It was cheaper then my 2012 KTM 250xc. That was regular joe pricing, I get the KTM family discount though!

The GasGas rear pedal is changing in design for 2012, but the previous design didn't allow for larger footed, bigger american's and our riding style to ride the pedal very well. You have to remove the caliper and hacksaw off the stem to allow for a much, much lower ride height than they prefer in Europe.

I did the brake rod mod on every 2010 and 2011 I sold because the standard Nissin rod is too long for where the master cylinder is mounted on the frame.

If your dealer didn't do a complete prep, you can simply remove the rear brake pedal and clevis, then spin the jam nut up toward the master cylinder. Zip off 5mm with a Dremel or hacksaw, clean up the threads, spin the clevis back on and you now have room to adjust pedal height.

No word on if this will also be necessary on the 2012s, but its nice to see the brake pedal tucked behind the frame rail to prevent inadvertent applications caused by squeezing the bike with your feet.