Sign in to follow this  

New stator install ?

Looks like its mounted in the outside left cover, so no need to pull the flywheel. Just pull the bolts and have at it. There should be some phillips screws holding it onto the cover, so use an impact wrench to remove them. The gasket may tear, but if you use a blade and score around it, or get one side started and get a blade under it, you may be able to save it. Just use some gasket sealer to seal it back up.

Yamabond is a sealer of choice, very good. Then Gaskacinch, then Permatex. RTV is only used as a last resort, and I use my finger and spread it really thin, as in micro thin. The problem with RTV is that it will swell, break off, and go thru the oil system and wreck havock. Yes, a new gasket is prefered, but if the shop is 60 miles away, or you're riding tomorrow and can't get the part, then you can still make it work. You can also buy sheet gasket material at a parts store and cut your own gaskets.... I've done it more than once with success. Good luck.

Yamabond is a sealer of choice, very good. Then Gaskacinch, then Permatex. RTV is only used as a last resort, and I use my finger and spread it really thin, as in micro thin. The problem with RTV is that it will swell, break off, and go thru the oil system and wreck havock. Yes, a new gasket is prefered, but if the shop is 60 miles away, or you're riding tomorrow and can't get the part, then you can still make it work. You can also buy sheet gasket material at a parts store and cut your own gaskets.... I've done it more than once with success. Good luck.

Good info. Thanks. Finished it today