Sign in to follow this  

Baja Champs Dakar Bound

Yeah, I know it's not Baja but it is Baja racers!

Jonah Street (yz450) and Quinn Cody (crf450x) are heading to Dakar. Both racers are looking for, and capable of, standing on the podium!

(i know, old news, you already knew that)

Both of these Baja Champs have T-shirts and more available on their websites (maybe you didn't know that?)

http://www.jonahstreetracing.com/

http://www.quinncody.com/quinn-cody-dakar-fundraiser-t-shirt/

Edited by BajaBoundMoto
there's a possibility of another American TOP contender going as well, but we wont talk about that just yet

Go go go. I will be watching. Great job last year. Show those Euro's how riding is done!

Thanks for the link to the Tshirts. Just ordered one.

Did you notice that Baja 1000 racer family Prohen is racing a Toyota in the Dakar. Was Rafael one of the BBM racers from Chile?

Great post and you have to love these guys and be nationalistic about our moto stars. $175.00 to support Jonah and you get a $199.00 trick ass KLIM jacket plus a million other goodies. http://www.jonahstreetracing.com/collections/frontpage/products/riff-raff-extreme Totally worthwhile investment in your country.

Here's Jonah ® and Quinn (L) at the start of stage nine. A loop around Copiapo, the town where the CHilean miners were stuck. It was thew famous "Mass Start". Jonah went on to win the stage.

IMG_3134.jpg

Both of these guys can get on the podium and Jonah can win the OA with a clean streak and some luck. Some would say Quinn not so much but I'd argue that his 9th OA as a debut proof enough for me (with a busted thumb on stage 5 to Iquique).

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

Here's the angle: Americans have rougher terrain at higher speeds, specifically the BAJA distances. You're talking endurance, whoops, rocks, etc...all with out the heavy nav gear...so our top US guys are able to haul ass and break time in the SAN FELIPE zone...NOTHING like on the DAKAR stages. Sure you have the gnar dunes, so famous and some rough grated roads.

IMG_1432.jpg

I believe Chaleco and the Euro boys have the edge in the grated road rally stages but our boys own the rougher stuff which there is some. I was so impressed with Cody's debut. He starts 9th and I could see him holding or moving up on first stage. He wont hold back one bit. It is going to be an awesome thing to watch on the net and VS.

Kind of funny that the level of support that Quinn gets is MEAGER compared to COMA and CYRIL. But he as much or more support that you'd ever see in BAJA.

Here's Quinn hunting down ninth place on stage 8 into Copiapo. He "bagged" this guy and and finished 9th.IMG_0874_2.jpg

This is stage 10 to Chilecito on which Jonah led the liaison across the Andes back into Argentina at 14,000'. His task: lead the field into the "special" stage which was loaded with the HELL dunes.

DSC_1610.jpg

Vapor lock and nav issues gave both our boys 28th /29th (something like that)

Did you notice that Baja 1000 racer family Prohen is racing a Toyota in the Dakar. Was Rafael one of the BBM racers from Chile?
Rafael is not one of the Chileans who raced the 1000. Jaime and Felipe are # 41 & 42 for Dakar on 450x’s now with more HP after riding a BBM Baja bike (they went home with good stuff). Not sure if Rafael is part of the same family but the team does have 2 Toyotas being built for support (builds happening in Orange County and behind schedule).
A loop around Copiapo, the town where the CHilean miners were stuck.... Americans have rougher terrain at higher speeds,,, whoops, rocks, etc... the SAN FELIPE zone...NOTHING like on the DAKAR stages.... I believe Chaleco and the Euro boys have the edge in the grated road rally stages but our boys own the rougher stuff which there is some.... Kind of funny that the level of support that Quinn gets is MEAGER compared to COMA and CYRIL.... Vapor lock and nav issues gave both our boys 28th /29th
Copiapoa – the Prohens hometown and town of the rest day for Dakar. Very cool for them.

A quote after prerunning 100 miles around San Felipe for the 1000, “No more, I am finished, that was worse than any single day of the Dakar, maybe as bad as two days”.

The brothers were in awe of the physical power and stamina the top Baja racers have.

Chaleco is coming off a bad injury, he might not be quite up to speed. He is the top rated moto guy in Chile (Felipe is #2).

The Bros have a 4 rider team and they say watch out for Daniel Gouet, a young kid on the team who could press into the top 10.

The brothers look at Quinn and figure there are companies throwing $$$ at him to race Dakar, when in fact there are no major sponsors, no money, and the Bros just don’t understand. They also don’t understand why Jonah & Quinn don’t do other rallies (no $). Sad.

This year Jonahs on an FI YZ, his bike is much improved in all aspects over ’11 and his mechanic Niles has been helping with the build unlike last year when he had zero wrench time pre-race. Should be good. The bike is almost done.

Quinns bike will be same motor but will handle much better and he’s supposed to have Eric as his mechanic. The bike isn’t even close to being done. As of last week it was a plain stock 450x waiting on parts. We’ll see…

Another American, Ned Suesse, will also be attempting Dakar.http://neduro.com/

Not a "Baja Champion", but has done a few races and ridden a few miles in Baja

I was going to mention Ned today. Didn’t yesterday because of the “champs” in the title. Neds ktm450 is really well thought out and built. His bike shipped South a couple weeks ago. Ned has been practicing a lot on navigation, he’s got his head screwed on right, and I think he’s going to do really well. I really wish Ned the best luck and fingers crossed his bike never hits the ground and is trouble free.

While we're waving the flag, don't forget Bill Conger (1st Dakar), James Embro (3rd Dakar), and Mike Stanfield (2nd Dakar) on bikes. And in the cars we have Mark McMillin/Gary Arnolld, Darren Skilton/Skyler Gambrell, Robb Rill/Benjamin Slocum and of course Robby Gordon/Kellon Walch. Pretty big American turnout this year.

Great post and you have to love these guys and be nationalistic about our moto stars. $175.00 to support Jonah and you get a $199.00 trick ass KLIM jacket plus a million other goodies. http://www.jonahstreetracing.com/collections/frontpage/products/riff-raff-extreme Totally worthwhile investment in your country.

Dang Teem,

That is good deal, especially if you are planning on buying a new skid plate, head light, or Flex bars.

Insanely fresh rumor that 2011 DAKAR champ Nasir Al Attiyah with join Robby Gordan's SPEED Energy team's 2nd Hummer.

I know its not Bikes but its important. If its true, and we have a call in to Robby now, it means that the 2011 DAKAR champ will defend his title on an AMerican Team.

The magnitude of this possibility is immeasurable in terms of the overall awareness of the DAKAR in the US, just what everyone needs. The spill over into the bike area is imminent.

Robby is kind of due for a win, because the field is way down in terms of front runners from last year: VW out, Sainz, Miller, etc. But if Al Attiyah jumps on SPEED, odds increase quick...more to follow on RDC

Not sure of the exact details but I have heard that in the past Robbie's vehicles have been limited on HP. Running two wheel drive those trucks would normally hit speeds well over 100mph and can make up time on the 4wd vehicles in the faster sections. The 2 wd don't have the top speed.

I think Robbies goal is to prove to all that a 2 WD truck can compete in that race. But I think thus far there has been limitations to what he can do.

Again, just something I thought I heard.

All of the vehicles in Dakar have limitations and the formulas are somewhat similar to sailing, very complex. Give a little here, take a little there.

The advantage seen for the 2-Wheel drive is that they can have automatically adjustable air pressure. 4x4 cant.

So Robby needs to use varying air pressure capabilities to get through sand dunes etc.

He seems really well liked down there and the drink "SPEED" was in many of the stores.

Still waiting to see if the news about Nasir is true./

Gordons speed trailer at contigency row in ensenada must have sold more tshirts and stuff than anyone. That area was packed tight all day

Now if they can just build a hummer that can handle the punishment that RG and Al- Attiyah will give it. If they can do that...they CAN win.

Typically they race in teams with one driver in support of the other. I know last year when Robbie's truck broke and his other truck passed him without stopping to give him parts. He was unable to finish the stage. At that point, even though they still had a truck in the race, he packed everything up and went home.

I wonder who will be driving the heavier rig with supplies in it? It's hard to believe Robbie would ever take a back seat. Should be interesting.