Sign in to follow this  

Rid of Husky

The husky is gone, sold it. I know better than buying one again. :lol:

• Like 2

The husky is gone, sold it. I know better than buying one again. :)

Once you lose faith in a bike there is no more enjoyment. Good for you bimota! :lol:

Why is that? I'm curious, I'm looking at one right now...

Don't change the oil or clean the air filter.... and you'll find out. Take care of it and bimoto will look silly on his soapbox and you too won't know his pain.

Too bad things worked out the way they did bimoto- go get a honda 230 or klx 250 and it will suit your needs better. :):lol:

When I first read bimota's post I thought he must have gotten a lemon. But then I looked through his post history and read that he only changed the oil every 700 miles and he rode primarily off-road. Frankly I'm amazed he got 2200 miles out of his engine before it blew up with shoddy maintenance like that.

Sorry that happened to you but don't blame husky when you're at fault.

When I first read bimota's post I thought he must have gotten a lemon. But then I looked through his post history and read that he only changed the oil every 700 miles and he rode primarily off-road. Frankly I'm amazed he got 2200 miles out of his engine before it blew up with shoddy maintenance like that.

Sorry that happened to you but don't blame husky when you're at fault.

700 miles should not be the reason for any failures.

How will they be able to race the BAJA 1000?

Or do any multi day adventure rides?

Bimota seems like a good guy. I'll not trash him for his decision. For him a high performance machine like a husky is probably the wrong fit. Nothing wrong with that. And although 700 miles is further than I would go I'm not sure it should destroy an engine ether. Husky has had some crank bearing failures and such that should not have happened. All bikes have issues. Comething like a XR400 type bike would be better suited for his use.

Good luck with your new bike if you get one. :lol:

Could happen on any bike though. I'm waiting to see what KTM does for my friend who picked up an 11 450 EXC and now has a blown engine with a bike less than a month old and under 300 miles. He's scratching his head since he still has an 05 KTM 450 with 18000 miles on original piston/rings.

these are just machines designed, built and serviced by humans, any one can be a lemon, any one can have bad service, anyone can be assembled wrong or faulty. Sometimes the suit just doesnt fit right for the desires or shape of the rider. Hope Bimota keeps on riding offroad with whatever bike he finds that fits his idea of perfection. A Honda sounds like a good choice. or now that BiMoTa is joining the offroad world with their Jotagas motor based machine??

700 miles should not be the reason for any failures.

How will they be able to race the BAJA 1000?

Or do any multi day adventure rides?

I don't mean to kick the guy when he's down but when I saw his maintenance routine it made me wince as these are high performance engines and not detuned yet bulletproof air cooled 4 strokes.

BTW his failure occurred at 2200 miles and not 700 miles. That's a lot of offroad dusty riding with minimal maintenance. And yes I'm aware the baja bikes go 1000 miles but those engines are torn down after the race and rebuilt/scrapped. Now I'm not the best historian of the Baja but I'm pretty sure there have been a few bikes that have had complete engine failures before the finish line.

Anyway bimota best of luck with your new bike! Let us know what you get!

I had a TXC250 with a couple thousand in aftermarket goodies, and had a bigbore kit with the hi-comp. race piston and learned that anything can have problems when you have to many hands in the motor. I now ride a WR300 with all kinds of goodies but a stock motor! By far the best bike I have ever owned! There is nothing wrong with the brand just some models need more maintance more often than others.

Sounds like he bought a dirt bike when he should have bought a street bike.

I change the oil every 1000 miles on my 510sm and its been going strong since 2006. Almost have 10 times the miles on mine compared to what he had when it blew.

Maybe it a ran low on oil or sucked in a ton of dirt?

Truly, there is no comparison between the maintenance needs of a competition machine and a street bike.

Recommendation for the Husky MX bike (TC449) is replacement of piston, and possibly the crank every 25 hours.

Sounds awful, till you read the manufacturer's recommendation on any other MX 4 stroke bike - replace oil every race, valve adjustment every other race, piston every 5th.

everyone i know that does baja run a aux oil res and cooler. depending what part of the corse you are on. parts of the baja are straight up wide open on and off for miles. i have my oil changed when i come and pit. only oil not the filter. most of the time i can get more life out of it, but why take a chance. baja 1000 i have my oil change out 3 times, cant count how many air filters.

Truly, there is no comparison between the maintenance needs of a competition machine and a street bike.

Very true, not really a fair comparing a SM thats used on the street with a offroad bike.:lol:

Hope he finds a bike more suited towards his riding