Sign in to follow this  

2012 ktm xc

Im a long time 2 stroke believer. I have been waiting for years for KTM to get the right bike together for me to jump in and throw down the $$$ for some modern 2 stroke.

Little back log... Im an intermediate mx racer/ Expert off road racer and have been riding RM 250s since 08, before that I had a fleet of CRs including a service honda 500.

I walked into NCY in so cal and received awesome service and a good deal on the shiny new orange bike. I was excited to upgrade and had been waiting for the right bike to make me jump. The KTM seemed to be the choice and NCY made it easy for me to make it happen.

I was literally driving past NCY on friday en route to Day in the Dirt and thought I would stop in and see what they could do. an hour later I was back en route to the race track with a new bike.

1)After a few laps; I was struggling to get the feel for the new bike and I was lucky enough to be parked right next to the TBT racing box van. Travis re-valved the fork and messed with the rear shock and all of a sudden the bike came alive. It was a totally different ride. happy as could be; I headed out on the track for DITD.

2)The more I rode it the more I started to think there was something wrong. I felt like it would bog or hesitate under hard landings or harsh conditions. I didn't say anything and during a team race a buddy hopped on it and mentioned the same thing? ANy ideas where to go with this? Ill be calling some one for help tomorrow.

3)Being new to the KTM I also noticed a very Mid range motor. its easily the smoothest 2stroke I have ever ridden, but Im not sure thats what I want from this bike. Any ideas what I can do to make this thing as Angry as my RMs?

4) I accidentally hit neutral about 5x... :lol:

Aside from these small issues this bike is pretty sweet! It corners almost as good as my RMs and handles the high speed much better than they did. which is exactly what I was hoping for.

ANy ideas for solving any of these would be awesome.

At the end of the day this thing helped me bring home 2 DITD trophy's (1st 25+ INT, and a Ironman finnisher)

Im a long time 2 stroke believer. I have been waiting for years for KTM to get the right bike together for me to jump in and throw down the $$$ for some modern 2 stroke.

Little back log... Im an intermediate mx racer/ Expert off road racer and have been riding RM 250s since 08, before that I had a fleet of CRs including a service honda 500.

I walked into NCY in so cal and received awesome service and a good deal on the shiny new orange bike. I was excited to upgrade and had been waiting for the right bike to make me jump. The KTM seemed to be the choice and NCY made it easy for me to make it happen.

I was literally driving past NCY on friday en route to Day in the Dirt and thought I would stop in and see what they could do. an hour later I was back en route to the race track with a new bike.

1)After a few laps; I was struggling to get the feel for the new bike and I was lucky enough to be parked right next to the TBT racing box van. Travis re-valved the fork and messed with the rear shock and all of a sudden the bike came alive. It was a totally different ride. happy as could be; I headed out on the track for DITD.

If funds are available, add a steering stabilizer. It will really make the bike feel planted. I also removed the steering stop nuts and just used the bolts.

2)The more I rode it the more I started to think there was something wrong. I felt like it would bog or hesitate under hard landings or harsh conditions. I didn't say anything and during a team race a buddy hopped on it and mentioned the same thing? ANy ideas where to go with this? Ill be calling some one for help tomorrow.

I havent had it happen to me yet but there is the idea that the bottom of the carb hits the engine cases on hard landings causing a slight starvation for fuel. A rubber pad under the carb could help with this but I personally have never tried.

3)Being new to the KTM I also noticed a very Mid range motor. its easily the smoothest 2stroke I have ever ridden, but Im not sure thats what I want from this bike. Any ideas what I can do to make this thing as Angry as my RMs?

The cheap solution is a different color powervalve spring (red). It makes a more pronounced hit. The more expensive solution is a SX head and ignition, it wakes the bike up quite a bit. It will never be a RM though, the XC just wasnt designed to be. This is my love/hate relationship with mine, the smooth motor is really nice, but its so boring to ride.

4) I accidentally hit neutral about 5x... :lol:

Thats all you.....I havent hit one yet!

Aside from these small issues this bike is pretty sweet! It corners almost as good as my RMs and handles the high speed much better than they did. which is exactly what I was hoping for.

ANy ideas for solving any of these would be awesome.

At the end of the day this thing helped me bring home 2 DITD trophy's (1st 25+ INT, and a Ironman finnisher)

Have fun, they are sweet bikes!

I have used steering stabilizers... Im not sold on them. I have found that suspension setup will eliminate most need for one. Travis does such a killer setup on my bikes that I actually have a stabilizer sitting in a box that I haven't used.

the bog thing Is the real problem right now. I think I could deal with the rest of it if i could fix that.

Ill be getting this red spring tmro... if need be... ill order the SX parts.

I have used steering stabilizers... Im not sold on them. I have found that suspension setup will eliminate most need for one. Travis does such a killer setup on my bikes that I actually have a stabilizer sitting in a box that I haven't used.

the bog thing Is the real problem right now. I think I could deal with the rest of it if i could fix that.

Ill be getting this red spring tmro... if need be... ill order the SX parts.

I dont like stabilizers on my 4 strokes but other then my YZ 250 2t, I feel they are a must on my KTMs. Both my 09 KTMs needed them as I feel my 2012 also. Its a lot to do with personal preference though. Before and after my revalve, I had 5+ hrs on my KTM and I just didnt feel confident without it.

its going to take more than a few laps to get used to a completely different brand / type bike!

if you are wanting a snappy motor then the sx would have been a better choice. but, red powervalve, flush with adjuster, fmf shorty pipe, 13/48 gearing should get you alot closer to a more aggressive hit.

Speaking of snapy power, on my XC 300 the stock head started leaking at the water spout so I had to get another head could only get the sx head all the xc heads were on back order, that sx head made this thing a snappy beast, I had to unplug the ignition mapping to tame it down, so the sx head or a head mod may help you achieve that snappy power, also

hey Whorehay CONGRATS!! Nice that you got to race the bike right after picking it up!! Good way to get a feel for it. On another thread, the poster that mentioned raising the float height slightly to eliminate your bog is probably SPOT ON, as the guy really knows his stuff. Try it and report back. I have a 12'250SX and have not noticed any bog yet, but have not ridden in any REALLY rough/gnarly conditions with it yet.

hey Whorehay CONGRATS!! Nice that you got to race the bike right after picking it up!! Good way to get a feel for it. On another thread, the poster that mentioned raising the float height slightly to eliminate your bog is probably SPOT ON, as the guy really knows his stuff. Try it and report back. I have a 12'250SX and have not noticed any bog yet, but have not ridden in any REALLY rough/gnarly conditions with it yet.

THanks amigo.

the bog is weird... I almost have to concentrate to feel it. but I noticed it most on this one part of the track where I was jumping into a face to avoid landing in the square edges. it would bog and i would struggle to keep the nose up through the rest of the rollers...

I ended up putting about 2.5 hours on it over the weekend and figured out how to ride it okay. She corners really well if you are aggressive and on the front of the seat and like I mentioned before.. she is much more stable at speed than the ol RM's...

happy so far... I have never had a bike that didn't work better after some fine tuning.

might be a little disappointed about the Head/ ignition... I guess I didn't research it enough. prob gunna throw down the bucks for the parts before the BIg 6 series starts.

Do you know if your tuner removed the bleed shim on the rebound stack of the forks??? My 2012 xc doesn't turn worth a darn (single track woods) unless i'm on top of my gas cap. I did go up two spring rates on the rear, one in the front and played with the rear sag. 98mm was about the best for me and it did improve the turning a little. However i believe that the bleed shim on the rebound stack in the forks are a problem for the riding that i'm doing. I will move the bleed shim and see if that helps.

Dave

sorry Dave.. I don't really know what he does to my bikes... It works and I don't complain. :lol:

I feel like the bike has much more compression while keeping the same spring rate. My biggest problem before the revalve was how bad the front wheel would push out from under me in a corner. I think It was just so squishy and soft that it would not "knife" into the dirt at all... It felt like it had no progression through the stroke of the fork. Now I feel confident and can really load the front wheel.

If you are a taller guy... you may try and move the bars foreword into a different position on the clamp. makes it easier for me to get into the "sweet spot in the seat". Im 6' and I have a really long reach so I actually had to get different bar mounts made for the RMs but these on the KTM are much more adjustable. I think Im in the 3rd pos away from the seat.

as I am new to the KTM thing... what the hell is goin on with the goofy cable/ brake line routing?

We had the exact same issue as many other 2012 XC owners. Some won't admit to it because they don't know any better! LOL Honestly i've never been a KTM lover and this is my first KTM in over 40 years of racing (AA, A). That kind of gives away my age. Anyway, The bike does have some very good attributes but the stock spring rates seem to be out of balance front to rear which is holding it back. I've been able to make some adjustments in the right direction but anticipate revalving soon. I have a hunch that the bleed shim on the rebound stack is the main culprit and will find out soon.

Dave

Do you know if your tuner removed the bleed shim on the rebound stack of the forks??? My 2012 xc doesn't turn worth a darn (single track woods) unless i'm on top of my gas cap. I did go up two spring rates on the rear, one in the front and played with the rear sag. 98mm was about the best for me and it did improve the turning a little. However i believe that the bleed shim on the rebound stack in the forks are a problem for the riding that i'm doing. I will move the bleed shim and see if that helps.

Dave

We had the exact same issue as many other 2012 XC owners. Some won't admit to it because they don't know any better! LOL Honestly i've never been a KTM lover and this is my first KTM in over 40 years of racing (AA, A). That kind of gives away my age. Anyway, The bike does have some very good attributes but the stock spring rates seem to be out of balance front to rear which is holding it back. I've been able to make some adjustments in the right direction but anticipate revalving soon. I have a hunch that the bleed shim on the rebound stack is the main culprit and will find out soon.

Dave

Tuning suspension is complicated as there are so many variables. First, we have to establish correct spring rates for your weight, height, ability, stock tank or oversize, sit down or stand up rider and desired suspension compliance. Then we try to address any issues you have with the suspension. Too stiff, too soft, bottoming, deflection etc. Then we tune the rebound, compression and midvalve valving and or pistons to achieve the desired ride quality. Good suspension for one rider doesn't mean it's good for another. You can't just narrow it down to a single shim. As an added note, my 2012 250xc turns great!

I don't disagree with anything you said! I've made fairly good progress with proper springs and set up thus far.

yeah I agree as well... thats why im not a fan of discrediting one suspension shop over another or or claiming that it works fine and doesn't need to be changed.

Im fortunate enough to have a suspension guy a trust that knows my ride style and how I like my bikes to work. I hand it over and he does his thing, and Im riding away confidently.

Im More and more bummed about my lack of research on this XC. Thinking it may not have been the best choice for me over the SX. Now all I can do is open my wallet and try and make it what I want. My mistake. Off to research motor mods....

yeah I agree as well... thats why im not a fan of discrediting one suspension shop over another or or claiming that it works fine and doesn't need to be changed.

Im fortunate enough to have a suspension guy a trust that knows my ride style and how I like my bikes to work. I hand it over and he does his thing, and Im riding away confidently.

Im More and more bummed about my lack of research on this XC. Thinking it may not have been the best choice for me over the SX. Now all I can do is open my wallet and try and make it what I want. My mistake. Off to research motor mods....

I think the XC is a better choice in your situation over a SX. The XC comes with the 6 speed, electric start and oversized tank. To some, thats not a big deal, you can add the oversized tank and electric start but just having the 6 speed alone is a huge advantage. A head and ignition will be around 3-400 new and that will put you in the same league as a SX. You cannot put a 6 speed in a SX for that much. Also, your bike is new! Im just over 10hrs on my XC and now it just starting to break in. Its as every bit as powerful as the SX but it just delivered in a smoother manner. Give it some time to break in, try the red spring, adjust the preload for the powervalve and I bet you will be pretty happy with the outcome.

I think the XC is a better choice in your situation over a SX. The XC comes with the 6 speed, electric start and oversized tank. To some, thats not a big deal, you can add the oversized tank and electric start but just having the 6 speed alone is a huge advantage. A head and ignition will be around 3-400 new and that will put you in the same league as a SX. You cannot put a 6 speed in a SX for that much. Also, your bike is new! Im just over 10hrs on my XC and now it just starting to break in. Its as every bit as powerful as the SX but it just delivered in a smoother manner. Give it some time to break in, try the red spring, adjust the preload for the powervalve and I bet you will be pretty happy with the outcome.

I have been looking at the Xc for a couple year. the large tank that rides like a stock bike is a awesome deal. When I heard the XC had a 6 spd in it.. that solidified my decision. Im happy with the bike I just don't like blowing more cash on it right away. I figure I will hold out a little while and see if I can learn to ride it without the explosive power. Was I supposed to get this "red" spring in the bag of tricks with the new bike?

Im most concerned with this strange Harsh landing Bog... I felt it before I heard others were having the same issue. I don't like to mess with things right out of the box. Im hoping I can work it out without messing with too much.

As far as this head ignition mod... has anyone done it? what kind of tuning needs to be done? does changing the ignition eliminate the E start? or charging system?

Is the loose plugs behind the front number plate for a headlight?

ANyhow... I have been lingering around thinking about buying a new KTM for years... I always had an excuse. "Ill wait for linkage, Ill wait for xc to get the sx fork..." Now Im just excited to be riding something new!!!

I have been looking at the Xc for a couple year. the large tank that rides like a stock bike is a awesome deal. When I heard the XC had a 6 spd in it.. that solidified my decision. Im happy with the bike I just don't like blowing more cash on it right away. I figure I will hold out a little while and see if I can learn to ride it without the explosive power. Was I supposed to get this "red" spring in the bag of tricks with the new bike?

I never got a red spring either, I had a left over one from my 300. Even though the bike has no hit, its meant to be a race bike, a engine that wont wear you out over time. Again, once it breaks in it will be a whole different bike. Note: A aftermarket silencer does wonders for these bikes.

Im most concerned with this strange Harsh landing Bog... I felt it before I heard others were having the same issue. I don't like to mess with things right out of the box. Im hoping I can work it out without messing with too much.

As far as this head ignition mod... has anyone done it? what kind of tuning needs to be done? does changing the ignition eliminate the E start? or charging system?

No, the ignition is a simple plug in. It comes stock from KTM, its not aftermarket. You just unplug your old one and plug in the new one. It doesnt mess with you e-start or anything along those lines.

Is the loose plugs behind the front number plate for a headlight?

Loose plugs are for a headlight and odometer that comes on the XCW standard.

ANyhow... I have been lingering around thinking about buying a new KTM for years... I always had an excuse. "Ill wait for linkage, Ill wait for xc to get the sx fork..." Now Im just excited to be riding something new!!!

Have fun!

If it bogging on landings, I'm wondering if your float is set a little too low. I'm thinking it too low allowing the fuel to slosh around and not being available for a moment... just a thought.

By the way yes I'm jealous, I want a new ride, but the wifey needs/wants a new car... How could I say no after she green lighted the purchased of a new Yamaha Vstar 1100... It will be paid off next month, and she is already car shopping.