Sign in to follow this  

2000 200EXC powervalve help please

2 things going on. It looks like the powervalve gear is a tooth off? In the picture in the manual it shows the mark and tooth straight up, mine is one tooth rotated right and hence I cannot get the marks to look like the book. I can get everything lined up one tooth right.

The other issue, maybe related, is when I rotate the big knob to adjust the powervalve up to the Langston setting (mark up high) the cover cap will not fit, it likes the rotating knob is turned several turns out too far. Not sure if this is related to the above issue with the gear.

Thanks for the help.

Follow my PV pictorial thread, pull the jug, disassemble the pv and line everything up. I will be adding a pictorial for the lower asembly soon and you may want to pull the inner clutch cover and check the timer.

gmoss, in your pictorial as in the manual, the mark is straight up. Mine will not go straight up. It is one tooth to the right. It cannot go a tooth to the left as the valve is all the way down hard. If I take the gear out and look at it, the mark is even off from the alignment boss. I think perhaps the gear rotated on the shaft?

I am not sure i am following, can you not pull the gears out and set all the alignment marks back up?

You must have it apart if you are referencing the marks?

Can you post a pic?

I don't know how to post a pic. On the center gear (the one that moves the flapper up and down) with the flapper all the way down, the punch mark should be pointing at 12:00, mine is at 1:00. It cannot rotate CCW as it is engaged into the flapper pull rod and the flapper cannot move down any farther.

I don't know how to post a pic. On the center gear (the one that moves the flapper up and down) with the flapper all the way down, the punch mark should be pointing at 12:00, mine is at 1:00. It cannot rotate CCW as it is engaged into the flapper pull rod and the flapper cannot move down any farther.

If I understand correctly, you need to remove the actuating U shaped arm and rotate the center gear to line up all the marks on the gears.

or, are you saying it is binding with the vertical rod that engages the flapper, installing from the top of the cylinder?

If I pull the center gear out, it only goes back in two ways, 0 and 180 degrees. I cannot get the mark to line up in the 12 o'clock position. If you look at your picture, my mark is on the next tooth to the right of the one yours is. I can get the other gears lined up but everything is shifted one tooth right. I haven't removed the center rod, the one you put the screw in and rotate, I can't get it to rotate to remove it.

If I pull the center gear out, it only goes back in two ways, 0 and 180 degrees. I cannot get the mark to line up in the 12 o'clock position. If you look at your picture, my mark is on the next tooth to the right of the one yours is. I can get the other gears lined up but everything is shifted one tooth right. I haven't removed the center rod, the one you put the screw in and rotate, I can't get it to rotate to remove it.

can't you rotate the actuating arm slightly to get the center gear mark lined up, keeping the other marks lined up??

The flapper should move up and down allowing you to insall the center gear in whatever position is necessary to line everything up.

Is the flapper stuck?

The flapper is all the way closed and so the slot in the rod wont go down any farther allowing the gear to rotate to the right. I really think either the part is defective or the gear rotated a bit on the shaft. Since it seems the job of that punch mark is to give a reference on the rack gear when the flapper is fully closed, I'm going to set the rack gear mark in the 12:00 position, and align the side gears to the punch marks. That should make everything timed correctly.

does the flapper move freely when you rotate the arm?

there really isn't anything that can go wrong as it is all hard parts. If it were mine, I would completely disassemble the PV assembly, removing all the parts, cleaning them, lubing them up, and reinstalling them correctly.

I have everything out and clean except the flapper. I can't seem to get it out but I will. It does move freely up and down. As I said, it just appears that the gear has rotated on the shaft. I will let you know how it goes. Then I may need some advice on the lower adjuster :-)

Huh, I see what you are saying now, that the center gear may be two piece. I don't see how that assembly could ever come under enough force to do that, but who knows.

well I have it cleaned except some carbon on the flapper that I have to take off on the wire wheel tomorrow. It still appears that the gear has rotated one tooth.

That is a cool thread I don't know how I missed it. Again though, my center gear won't line up like that.

Well I really feel like a dumb ass. I didn't realize how much carbon had built up on the flapper. After a full wire wheel, everything lines up right. Thanks for the help!!!!