Sign in to follow this  

running in circles finding a new bike!!

Hey all, I've been looking at a new bike for a while now and can't find something to suit my needs .

The criteria I have is ;

Relatively low weight or low weight feel when riding.

6 speed wide ratio for transport fire trails general trail riding 60-80kmh and hwy 100-110kmh

Low cost compared to new but 2009 onwards

Reliable

Good suspension and handling

The main contenders are 2010 400exc or 2010 te450 2011te310

These meet my budget but weary of ktm pds kick and wandering front end and husky is close ratio, wiring issues and heavy fuel consumption.

I could spend more but would rather buy and modify to my needs.

I've read heaps of posts and everyone who has either is happy but not pther people who ride them , kinda that love for ur ugly child thing :lol:

I'm coming off a yz125 that ill keep for shits n giggles but want a reliable trail bike for weekend fun.

I'm open to two stroke enduros but could only find the ktm as a 6speed wide ratio post 2010?!

Husaberg 390/450/570! I borrowed a 450 for a couple days, if I wasnt racing I would buy the 570 in a heart beat. Stone reliable, easy to use power, good quality and you can find used ones cheap because they are not the most popular.

Just had a look at the bergs again couple around bit out of budget but worth it, couple things tho are the Fe390/Fe450 2009/2010 models highway friendly(100kmh) and if u have to change sprockets sizes will the torque of the 390 be too low off the botttom end ?! Are there larger tanks avaiable( apparently a complex tank design) reliability of efi n electronics start ?!

Having a look at a husaberg fe450-2009 this week and possibly a ktm400exc -2010 both with about 3500kms and both around $8000 aud. any problems with these bar the berg hot start issues ?!

Just had a look at the bergs again couple around bit out of budget but worth it, couple things tho are the Fe390/Fe450 2009/2010 models highway friendly(100kmh) and if u have to change sprockets sizes will the torque of the 390 be too low off the botttom end ?! Are there larger tanks avaiable( apparently a complex tank design) reliability of efi n electronics start ?!

Highway friendly? You can get the on-road version or make a dirt version legal for the street(im not sure about the rules in aussie land for street legalizing bikes). The bikes will do great on the road as any other bike. The FI is nice on the husaberg for elevation changes and it does come with the 6 speed so 100km plus shouldnt be a problem. The 390s power is very close to the KTM 400, so its a wash. Yes, there are larger tanks, either a subframe tank or the safari tank. Here is a link to someone who travels on a 570, it might give you some ideas.....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/motorcycles/70-other/321-so-you-want-a-lightweight-adventure-travel-bike.html

Cheers pumpkin 450 yeah Fe450 is road legal and that's a very intetesting write up, gave me some good ideas for adventure riding. Found out the berg doesn't seem to have the pds kick is light on the front but still holds well after u get used to it. Looks like the berg Fe450 will be my new toy as,ling as it all checks out tomorrow