Sign in to follow this  

How long will it last?

If you have a modern day 250F and you do mostly trail riding and the occasional trip to the motocross track where you never really scream it how long could you get away with the basics air filter and oil and coolant ect. Without

haveing to have engine work done valve adjustments and whatnot. I was just wondering because my dad wants a 250F and seeing as i know much more than him i will be the one dealing with it when it comes time to maintain. Im a two stroke rider so dont know about the maintnance of fourstrokes besides the obvious oil air fliter and all. Thanks in advance any input is appreciated

With that kinda question, the answer is not long enough. One part of owning a 4t is valve checks and adjustments. If your going to try to get away from checking them regularly, it wont last. Its going to vary from person to person and bike to bike but for a valve check on a 250f I would safely say every 20-30hrs maximum.

I have a 2007 crf250r with 130 hours on it and I ride/race mx in C class. I had the piston replaced at 87 hours but mechanic said it did not need to be replaced untill a 100. I had my valves checked 4 times and only 2 valves have slightly moved. I am crazy on mainance though. I change the oils/oil filter every 5 hours and air filter every ride. I love this bike and it has been great for me but I did baby it at the track for the first 40 hours because I was still somewhat new to riding.

I've watched some valve check/adjust how to vids on YouTube and it looks like a simple enough procedure that it shouldn't be something to fear doing. It does look like some brands are easier than others IMO. Looks simple is an easy thing to say from the seat of a smoker though. Lol

If you stay away from the limiter,change oil often, clean air filter every ride, warm it up properly, it will easily outlast a 2 stroke in terms of hours before rebuild, but it is brand specific, some brands just dont last as long as others

If you stay away from the limiter,change oil often, clean air filter every ride, warm it up properly, it will easily outlast a 2 stroke in terms of hours before rebuild, but it is brand specific, some brands just dont last as long as others

The "outlast a two stroke" only applies to old school 4 strokes. Modern 4 strokes with slipper pistons (tiny little skirts) need to be replaced as often as 2 stroke pistons, as the revs are much higher, and the short piston rocks in the bore causing faster wear.

Why don't you have your dad consider some of the new smokers from Europe. They cost less to buy, cost less to maintain, and some even have electric start. If I were looking for a "no fuss" bike with solid (even race ready) performance, that is where I would start.

Ok then i will be a bit more specific it will be lugged all the time. It will seldom ever hit the rev limiter in its life unless i ride it and that wont be very often as i will be beating down my KTM150SX by this time. Since it seems to be brand specific based on your guys experience which seems to last a bit longer than others im not trying to get out of maintnance i am just a little bit shaky on four stroke engines is a valve check and replacing the piston something a rather mechanically inclined person can do. Its pretty easy to take care of a two stroke i do all my own work on my two strokes from oil changes to internal engine work botton end top end everything. Ive never cracked into a four stroke engine i am just worried about valve adjustments the cam chain top end rebuilds. I dont want to have to spend a riduculous amount of money getting it all done at my local shop if i could do it.

Its pretty easy to check valves, and change timing chain, thats all i did myself on my Wr 250f and Yz 250f, the rest I had a bike mechanic do, Wr was raced for 90 hours before i replaced the piston, Yz was 70 hours, mainly harescramble,

My yz 250 2t had to have a piston done at 50 hours, and bottom end at 90

assuming your going to go new (that is you know that everything in the motor is good to go) the bike will EASILY outlast a 2 stroke at a C level, does that mean you save money? No. because in my experience a 4 strokes motor lasts twice as long between rebuilds, but cost twice as much to rebuild. in my earlier days of riding in C class the 4-stroke bikes could go a long way without needing much attention. but if your doing a bit of trail with the odd track, i would also stick with a 2 stroke.

Its pretty easy to check valves, and change timing chain, thats all i did myself on my Wr 250f and Yz 250f, the rest I had a bike mechanic do, Wr was raced for 90 hours before i replaced the piston, Yz was 70 hours, mainly harescramble,

How did your bottom end have to be done at 90 hours my kx had like 40 hours on it when i got it i put like 50 more on it and then rebuilt the topend i then put at least 25 hours on and it was still shifting perfectly smooth i am religious with the oil though

By bottom end I mean main bearings and big end, gearbox was still fine

Based on your question you need to look to the older Huskvarana TXC/TC/TE250 2008-2009 (red head). These motors are great trail bikes and the valves don’t move. 15 minutes to check or shim the valves, most of this is to take the tank off. I have 200 hrs. on my 2008 and one exhaust valve moved .001” out of spec. I check them twice a year about 20 hrs. By far the easiest motor for maintenance. These bikes are not the top HP runners but are not slow in anyway. This is a trait of european bikes so you might want to start there. With any bike checking the valves is a must and more rev limiter hits the more checking you will need!

By bottom end I mean main bearings and big end, gearbox was still fine

I havent had to do anyting in the bottom at all perfectly fine was just curious

It did not break the bottom end, but it was making a noise and whem we tore it down we found play on the big end

Its difficult to compare but having raced both the four strokes were cheaper!

With that kinda question, the answer is not long enough.

+1

part 2 of the answer is "about 1/4 as long as a 250 2-stroke".

:lol:

wow, what a piece of crap! we have 2stroke bikes that have won national level events with over 500 hours on the original bottom end.

lololololol.

i love the internet.