Sign in to follow this  

2000 Tacoma for $4000, need opinons

Hey guys, I need some opinions. The story goes like this. I bought a brand new 2000 Toyota Tacoma Reg Cab pickup back in 2000. I've had it since I bought new but I recently paid off my wife's Rav 4 so I bought me a 4dr truck (2005 Nissan Frontier) to replace my 2dr Tacoma (family of 4). So its time to sell the Tacoma. No problem right?

Now for the problem, my nephew who's in the air force was visiting us back a few months ago and I was telling him I was soon going to buy a new truck. He mentioned that he'd be interested in buying my truck and asked me how much I'd sell it for. I just kind of reeled off $4000 off the top of my head since I had not did any research on the value of vehicles. Now that I've did some research on the value of used Tacomas Im really starting to regret offering the truck to him at that price. Judging from craigslist I could probably get upwards of $6000 or possibly even more for the truck. But I've talked to my nephew about it and he's pretty set on getting it. I tried to "indirectly" talk him out of buying it because he just had a baby and told him a reg cab wouldn't be a good idea but he didn't go for it. If it was a difference of only $500-1000 I could live with the loss, but there are zero used Tacomas on craigslist for less than $7000 in near the condition and age mine is in. Would I be a jerk if I tried to sale the car before I sold to my nephew? Maybe I should directly tell him I want to sell it? I still have the truck and he won't be able to buy it for another month (he lives in Maryland and I in NC).

Am I being crazy thinking I can could even get $6000 or more for my truck?

2000 Tacoma Reg Cab SR5 2WD

2.4L 4-cyl

81k Miles

Mechanically and functionally solid, everything works and works well

Base model truck, power steering and brakes, but manual windows and locks, no cruise control

Alloy Wheels

Auto Trans

Exterior is decent to good, clear coat fading(parked outside for nearly 10yrs), could use a buffing and waxing, scratches of course but no major dents or damage or rust

Interior is in excellent shape, non-smoker, no tears or stains in the seats or carpet, dash in very good shape, could use new floor mats

KBB value puts it about $5600ish but Tacomas tend to sell higher than normal.

Thoughts? Opinions?

tell him the truth. tell him you did some research recently now that you are thinking of actually selling it and see that the kbb is around 6k. if he doesn't want it then sell it, if he does still want it, give him a deal on it.

Yep, the answer is pretty obvious. I think I posted just to get it off my chest more than anything.

At first I wasn't concerned about the extra money until I found a nice used DRZ 400 to buy with it then I turned into a crybaby :):lol:

Hey guys, I need some opinions. The story goes like this. I bought a brand new 2000 Toyota Tacoma Reg Cab pickup back in 2000. I've had it since I bought new but I recently paid off my wife's Rav 4 so I bought me a 4dr truck (2005 Nissan Frontier) to replace my 2dr Tacoma (family of 4). So its time to sell the Tacoma. No problem right?

Now for the problem, my nephew who's in the air force was visiting us back a few months ago and I was telling him I was soon going to buy a new truck. He mentioned that he'd be interested in buying my truck and asked me how much I'd sell it for. I just kind of reeled off $4000 off the top of my head since I had not did any research on the value of vehicles. Now that I've did some research on the value of used Tacomas Im really starting to regret offering the truck to him at that price. Judging from craigslist I could probably get upwards of $6000 or possibly even more for the truck. But I've talked to my nephew about it and he's pretty set on getting it. I tried to "indirectly" talk him out of buying it because he just had a baby and told him a reg cab wouldn't be a good idea but he didn't go for it. If it was a difference of only $500-1000 I could live with the loss, but there are zero used Tacomas on craigslist for less than $7000 in near the condition and age mine is in. Would I be a jerk if I tried to sale the car before I sold to my nephew? Maybe I should directly tell him I want to sell it? I still have the truck and he won't be able to buy it for another month (he lives in Maryland and I in NC).

Am I being crazy thinking I can could even get $6000 or more for my truck?

2000 Tacoma Reg Cab SR5 2WD

2.4L 4-cyl

81k Miles

Mechanically and functionally solid, everything works and works well

Base model truck, power steering and brakes, but manual windows and locks, no cruise control

Alloy Wheels

Auto Trans

Exterior is decent to good, clear coat fading(parked outside for nearly 10yrs), could use a buffing and waxing, scratches of course but no major dents or damage or rust

Interior is in excellent shape, non-smoker, no tears or stains in the seats or carpet, dash in very good shape, could use new floor mats

KBB value puts it about $5600ish but Tacomas tend to sell higher than normal.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Tacomas here go for $4-5K over blue book. I just sold my 98 TRD Tacoma, 60K original miles, one owner, V6 5 spd extra cab for $13,500!!!!

Std cab isnt as desirable, but you are still low.

those trucks do bring good money,but for a reg cab with no optoins not much more. just give him a good deal,you never know he might take care of you next

Yep, Im going to see if he'll go for $5000-5500 for the truck. That's still under KBB value and a pretty good deal for a truck that still in good condition. I'd feel much better about that price range.

JMO, you told him $4,000, he gets first chance at that price. When he asked you what you wanted for it you should have said "let me see what it's worth".

Turns out I talked to my nephew and he was totally ok with me trying to sell the truck locally. Even said that if I didn't sell it by the time he came down to visit he may still be interested in it and we could discuss price then.

JMO, you told him $4,000, he gets first chance at that price. When he asked you what you wanted for it you should have said "let me see what it's worth".

You are correct, but he's never really posed it as a serious offer. In fact, the whole process of me buying a new truck has been a bit of a pain because every friend or relative I've told "hey, Im buying a new truck" their first response is "well how much do you want for your old one?". They didn't seem interested in my getting a new one (and that's cool) but until I had my new truck I hadn't given much thought to selling my old truck or a "real" price. If you're not interested in my new truck story, at least be considerate and don't change the subject :lol:

In all honesty I'd prefer NOT to sell a vehicle to a friend or relative because:

1) It could turn out bad

2) They always expect you to give them a good deal, even when you could really use the extra money of a fair sale

My answer depends on the relationship you have with your nephew.

I only have one nephew, - my brother's son - we are still a few years away from talking about vehicles, but thus far , Uncle DMC has provided a vintage Z50, a KLX 110 , plus his first 2 bicycles as i figured his parents would cheap out, so i got him a new SE Quadangle.

I did tell his dad that when he outgrows the 110, the next one is on him though. I have a few vintage trucks in need of tlc --- when he is around 14 or 14.5, i plan to hit him up with ----"hey, lets fix this old truck up " - if he doesn't go for that, he is on his own

Anyway - you said 4k initially , then you started looking around on Craigslist - Is the extra 1500 bucks really worth it? You could give the young man a stipulation that he not sell it for at least a year - or reinforce the fact that you are giving him a good deal, so if he needs something different in 6 months , to sell it back to you for 3500

Acting squirrelly makes you look like a back- pedaller of the highest order

However, if the neph is on your wife's side of the family and you are not that close to him, who cares , i guess

Yep, situation is everything :)

I've known this nephew since he was 8yrs old. He's now 27yrs old and married and just had a new baby. He very financially stable (employed by USAF and his wife just received a large inheritance). He doesn't currently have a US drivers license (coming back from overseas deployment). He is really just looking for a 2nd vehicle to drive back and forth to work. The fact its a truck probably didn't factor in. $4000 for any decent used vehicle now days is a good deal :banghead:

He's recently had a baby, a 2 door truck probably isn't ideal for him. Maryland winters are probably a lot rougher than NC and my truck is basically unusable in snow and ice(lightweight and RWD). In the long run the truck is probably not the right thing for him to be getting.

That being said, I had no intentions of letting money come between my nephew and I, but it was something I needed to be honest about. My nephew was surprisingly unaffected by my decision and was actually encouraging me to sell it locally for as much as I can. He's a great guy.

And for the record, he told me he thought the price WAS $5000. Thats how "loose" the original offer and conversation was :lol:

Yep, situation is everything :banghead:

---

That being said, I had no intentions of letting money come between my nephew and I, but it was something I needed to be honest about.

he thought the price WAS $5000. Thats how "loose" the original offer and conversation was :lol:

Thats cool -

-- I recently spent a winter in MAryland -- it was 2010 and they had a blizzard (im an insurance adjuster by day) -- i have a 2wd truck and i gotta say, getting around was not bad at all.

For the first few days after the blizzard, it was a problem, but the infrastructure there is prett good and they had the streets cleared in no time -- with big huge snow berms in ditches for weeks though.

When i was there, most of the residents kept commenting about how weird it was and that the region never got snowfall like that.

As far as being a 2 door truck, -- i'm sure they have a larger family vehicle for longer outings, if its a back n forth commuter, the issue of having to haul 3-4 people in it may never come up

Reminds me of growing up in the 70's and early 80's. My dad drove a single cab pickup , mom drove a Bonneville. We would frequently go with dad on the weekends to "do stuff" - haul hay, ride dirt bikes, etc. and mom would stay home where she belonged :), but if it was time to pack everybody up for a trip or something, we'd go in the car

Nowadays, we think our trucks have to be all things to all people, but i dont think i've had passengers in the back of my crew cab more than 5 times in 5 years (keeping my gear bags out of the rain is nice though)

Personally I don't think I'd ever go back on my word, especially to family. This summer I bought a new dirt bike and my brother showed some interest in my old one when we were out at a bar and asked for a price. I told him $1000 for my 96 XR250r, with less than a year on the top end and 283cc kit. Plus it's street legal and I only have 1 ride on the new tires. I also have a box with brand new brake pads and wheel bearings ready to go in. I think the alcohol had some affect on telling him that price, and I regretted it when I looked around on CL the next day and realized I probably could have easily sold it for more than $1500. But hey, it's family and now I've got one more person to go riding with.