Sign in to follow this  

05 YZ 250 clutch help

Hi,

I have an 05 YZ 250, since I got the bike the clutch has not worked properly and i wasnt able to adjust the play out with the cable to get the clutch to work. I ordered a new motion pro cable and had the same issue as the stock cable. It seems to loose or like the cable is too long but i confirmed the p/n and both cables are the same.

I pulled apart the clutch and took off the basket and everything appears to be in order and matches the manual. The metal and fiber plates are within spec and the washers and push rod appears to be in good condition. There is minimal notching in the basket but i have seen worse that works so i dont think that is the isse. With everyhing installed there is quite a bit of play at the push lever axle where the cable hooks up. I cant pull out the push lever axle completely because I have a flywheel weight on but it seems like the push rod is engaging into it. Should there be tension on the push lever axle from the clutch side or is it only the cable that causes it to return? The way it is now with all the adjustment out on the cable the first few inches of pull dont even cause the clutch to move or have enough tension to cause it to return. When I have put on new cables in the past they are usually under tension and you have to stretch to get them in at the lever but not in this case.

The clutch perch doesnt appear to be stock but would that have an impact? Thx, any help appreciated!

i would maybe say the end of the push lever axle is probably worn, and i don't think the length of the cable will matter, but the length of cable relative to the length of the cables case/guide will, i know youve probably done this but thought id suggest it anyways, theres a secondary adjustment on the cable casing, using two wreches you can lengthen the casing, which will tighten up cable play a little bit, i don't think the perch would matter unless its adjustment is smaller, or unless the cable connects closer on the lever, not to sure though, i would put my money unfortunantly on that push lever axle, good luck

thanks, i dont think the cable is too long. I will pull out the push lever axle and check it out. I assume I have to pull the flywheel weight and flywheel?

That' right flywheel has to be removed. You can take some thicker but little tiny spacer and put it above the lead which ends the cable. The lever has to stand at 9 o'clock if standing at ten your pushlever is mostlikely done.

I dont remember for sure.. but isnt there a ball bearing between the push rod and outter clutch hub bearing? Maybe your ball bearing is missing.. Ill dig up the parts fiche..

Hmmm.. No ball bearing on these.. Its been a while since Ive dug that deep on my YZ... Heres a link.. What your problem may be is wear between parts #23 and #24 or the push rod (#23) may be broken in the middle.. Time to tear it down.. Good luck

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/YZ250_-_YZ250T1_-_2005/CLUTCH/YZ250T1_%282005_MOTORCYCLE%29/CLUTCH_%28YZ250T1_-_2005%29

thx for the info...I have the clutch torn apart and the push rod (#23) is in good condition so it must be wear in #24..I need to pull the flywheel weight and flywheel off too get to it so will work on that. Any tips w/out a flywheel puller?

thx for the info...I have the clutch torn apart and the push rod (#23) is in good condition so it must be wear in #24..I need to pull the flywheel weight and flywheel off too get to it so will work on that. Any tips w/out a flywheel puller?

I think theres a set screw that you remove and can pull the push rod #24 up and out of the case without pullin the FW.. :lol:

Thanks for the tip but I wasnt able to pull it out, it is too long and hits the flywheel on the '05. I will need to pull the flywheel weight and flywheel but dont have the right tools, will let everyone know once I get it apart. thanks all for the info.