Sign in to follow this  

Dialing in my 03 yz250f

I have recently acquired this bike. I do not know the carb jetting but I would think it has been bumped up since it has a fat FMF pipe and Uni air filter. I will be checking soon to see if the o-ring mod has been done. It runs well but if there are some "have to-should do's" that you guys know about I would apprciate the info. I have seen threads about air box mods and JD jettings. I don't want to mess with a good thing but I will tinker a bit if it is worth it. I ride in the Ft.Worth area- RV and Village Creak. Thanks for your insite.

It's pretty much set up already. The JD jet kit is a very smart investment. The only thing you should do is set the sag and dial in the suspension. Keep up with your maintenance and you're good to go!!

If it does not have a Hot Cam is that something to do at the next valve adjust if it has not been done yet?

Hot Cams are a nice investment if you want to change the power a bit or add a little to either the top or bottom. I think Hot Cams are nice by themselves but should be part of a total package like a big bore kit or porting. Lukesracing.com has really good prices on Hot Cams and other parts. Instead of Hot Cams you might want to look into williamsmotorwerx's cams, Web cams or even GYTR. A lot of those other cams you'll have to change out the valve springs to use their cams. Hot Cams, some of the Web cams and Williams cams you don't need a spring change.

The bottom vent on the airbox will allow mud up from the bottom to get onto the air filter. I fixed by pop riveting a flap of inner tube over the existing vent and giving it a little wrinkle so that it will still drain water out, which is why its there. Then I switched from a single element filter to a TwinAir, then I added a Flo single element on top of that. The bike has a rep for drawing dirt past the filter and that takes out the valves. I have yet to find any dust past the system.

Guts Racing tall soft seat foam. Cycra Pro bend hand guards. Suspension tune and revalve. Aluminum skid plate. Protaper bars. Tires for the terrain, consult locals.