Sign in to follow this  

gatosbros XR600/650L scramblers

Nice work! You ganna use fibreglass in the end? & what type of resin? Whats the goal? A great looking tank with more volume?

Yeah, probably a mix of fiberglass, kevlar, and carbon-fiber. Would have to ask my brother about resins, he's knows a lot more about these materials than I do. Yeah, a little more volume, better ergonomics, better weight distribution, better styling, etc.

Still working on this tank. Just posted in another thread, asking about FCR carbs and tank clearance. Want to run FCR's on these bikes, the newer-style FCR (not the slant-body), but what size? What's the consensus? Two of the bikes are pretty much stock, and one of them is fully-built (cam, big-bore kit, ported big-fin head, full exhaust, etc.). Used a Noss adapter when I put an FCR on my 650R and was really happy with it. So figured I'd order a few more for these bikes. They do make them for this application, right?

Question: if we were to have these custom tanks that we've designed for the XR600/650L roto-molded, would anybody want one? We're thinking that we might make kits available (would include things like the custom subframe, carbon/kevlar rear fenders, airboxes, custom seats, etc.). But that stuff is no big deal, because we're making these parts for ourselves anyway and they don't require much of an up-front investment in tooling. The tanks on the other hand, are going to be expensive to have roto-molded, so we'd love to know if there's any interest before we decide how to proceed. They would be available as part of a complete kit, as mentioned above, or could be purchased separately if anyone wanted to do their own thing with the rest of the bike (making their own subframe, seatpan, etc.). Capacity is going to be somewhere around 3.5-4 gallons. Not looking for any commitments, and we won't be taking any money before we have parts ready to ship. Just trying to gage interest, so please post-up in this thread.

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_34.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_33.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_rear_fender_03.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_rear_fender_04.jpg

A subframe that allow modern plastics that mate up to a tank that is larger than the A-Loop tank would sell. There have been a few examples of CRF subframes grafted onto XRLs, but the lower rear tank junction is not right once it's all said and done.

I'm sure you're right, but I just don't really see the point of trying to make these old Hondas look like modern motocross bikes. They're not water-cooled, so the idea of putting something like one of those A-Loop tanks with shrouds on there seems kinda screwy to me. But like I said, am sure a lot more people would buy something like that than what we're working on right now.

I agree with you on the shrouds. I would like to see something that would address the tank and the rear end of the bike.

Fit-up the new 41mm FCR carb and confirmed that there's plenty of clearance. Now that I know where the carb is I can add volume to the underside of the tank without worrying about interference. Also removed the intake boot from the airbox to see how it lined-up and what length adapter I should order from Noss. He makes them in .5 & 1.25" versions, and I think that I can get away with the shorter one. May or may not end up re-using the stock intake boot and air filter assembly. Would be just about perfect, except that the new subframe is a little bit narrower than the stock one, so with width of the air filter retaining thingy might be an issue.

gatosbros_xrambler_fcr_carb_01.jpg

gatosbros_xrambler_fcr_carb_02.jpg

gatosbros_xrambler_fcr_carb_03.jpg

gatosbros_xrambler_fcr_carb_04.jpg

I love what you're doing! I'd kill to make a good n' proper Scrambler out of my bike. Lower, a corner-drifting monster, still decent travel and still plenty of seat for a passenger, very cool. I dig the fenders too! Plastic--pffft. I'm sick of plastic. Too bad the tank couldn't be one of those shiny ones like the old Elsinore tanks complete with the old-school Honda wings. I kept looking at the street trackers and thinking, "mmmmm, close, but not quite right."

You're nailing it.

I love what you're doing! I'd kill to make a good n' proper Scrambler out of my bike. Lower, a corner-drifting monster, still decent travel and still plenty of seat for a passenger, very cool. I dig the fenders too! Plastic--pffft. I'm sick of plastic. Too bad the tank couldn't be one of those shiny ones like the old Elsinore tanks complete with the old-school Honda wings. I kept looking at the street trackers and thinking, "mmmmm, close, but not quite right."

You're nailing it.

Sumthin like this?

http://nx650elsinore.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=2

Finished making the jig to locate the steering stabilizer mount, and a mock-up steering stabilizer mount for the extra frame. Will probably refine the design a little bit, but wanted to get a stabilizer mounted in the right location so I can make sure there's enough clearance under the tank. Had to tweak the coil mount slightly and mount the coil on the other side of the frame, but everything fits. Barely. Need to design the linkage, but that's easy. Going to focus on the tank. We're almost certainly going to have them roto-molded, and am anxious to get that process started.

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_08.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_09.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_10.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_11.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_12.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_13.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_14.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_15.jpg

gatosbros_XRambler_stabilizer_mount_16.jpg

Edited by jesusgatos

Started adding volume to the underside of the tank. Still a long way to go before it's done.

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_45.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_46.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_47.jpg

Reshaping the bottom of the tank, cutting it up a little higher.

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_48.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_49.jpg

Found out that the manual decompression lever on the XR600's is something that I need to make clearance for. The mounts are different too, and haven't decided whether or not to incorporate both mounts into this tank.

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_50.jpg

Stock XR600 tank, gatosbros tank, clarke tank

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_51.jpg

Cut the bottom of the tank up a little higher and tacked the new lower/inner steel templates into place. Still have to cut the outside of the tank back further, so I can round-out the corners. Think it'll help get rid of that droopy dog look.

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_52.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_53.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_54.jpg

gatosbros_XR650L_tank_55.jpg

Wow, nice work!

Don't "love" the roundness of the tank. Some contour just looks sleeker. Love the CR tank shown in the link of a message above.

How's it look with the seat in place? I assume you aren't planning on running number plates on it? Looks good!

Have to finish the subframe before I can design/build the seat, but have got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to tackle that and what I want it to look like.

Where can I get more info on the bike with the 18" wheel set? About the wheels themselves specifically. Sounds like a cheap way to re use a rear rim and spokes!