Sign in to follow this  

05 rm250

I can get a smokin deal on an 05. How do you like this yr? One of the best, right?

Any idea of the power with: eric gorr 300 kit, vforce v3, pc pipe and silencer and race gas?

Also, I'd revalve the suspension and add springs for my weight.

Well if you were gong with the EG300 doesn't matter what year (03+) you start with motor wise. Find the bike with the best chassis as your platform.

i have an 05 with a EG 265, Vforce, PC pipe and race gas and love it.... don't know how different the 300 is.

and suspension is ALWAYS a good idea no matter what bike it is.

i have an 05 with a EG 265, Vforce, PC pipe and race gas and love it.... don't know how different the 300 is.

and suspension is ALWAYS a good idea no matter what bike it is.

Have you always been on two strokes?

Have you always been on two strokes?

No, this is my first year on a 2stroke. There has been a bit of a learning curve there but I'm very glad I made the switch. Later this summer I rode my friends YZ450F, and after being on my RM for the whole year, I hated it. It was tall, heavy, and cornered like a shopping cart. A little while after that I got to ride a YZ250F, and that just felt SO slow. I know there are many great advantages to 4 strokes infact I still have my DRZ400 for trail use where pure off-road bikes are not allowed and it great, but nothing I've ridden is quite as fun as my 2 stroke. And I used to tease my friends who road 2 strokes. Who's laughing now? (Still me cuz I'm having so much fun on my RM)

No, this is my first year on a 2stroke. There has been a bit of a learning curve there but I'm very glad I made the switch. Later this summer I rode my friends YZ450F, and after being on my RM for the whole year, I hated it. It was tall, heavy, and cornered like a shopping cart. A little while after that I got to ride a YZ250F, and that just felt SO slow. I know there are many great advantages to 4 strokes infact I still have my DRZ400 for trail use where pure off-road bikes are not allowed and it great, but nothing I've ridden is quite as fun as my 2 stroke. And I used to tease my friends who road 2 strokes. Who's laughing now? (Still me cuz I'm having so much fun on my RM)

Yeah, I grew up on 2 strokes, but it's been a while now. They're really fun. I hate the costs that go with the 4 strokes. It's getting to be a drag. Top end on a 2stroke is a piece of cake.

I'm giving myself a headache tossing up between a 265 and a 295 kit. Crikey, why do people give us options??? I'm a b/c grade mx'er, who'd be happy with more hp to help get into the lead pack at the first corner.....so figure the 295 kit with 'all round' porting....but who knows - maybe that's shedloads more ponies than what i need and can use. so....the 265 perhaps in that case.....but then you go.....heck, why mess about if spending all that dough?

just wish all those with one or the other kit chime in and share their experience.....especially for mx.... : )

I race both MX and Harescrambles and the 265 is good for that. If I was racing strictly MX going up against 450 I would go with the 295 kit without question. That would put you on level ground where HP is concerned, or darn close.

the 03-07 engines aren't exactly alike after a EG big bore... although it probably makes little difference:

Crankcase volume is different (don't recall if its more or less)

Ignition is different

Intake tract changes a little in 06?

Porting changes drastically, but that will all be the same after a Big bore, like tribal said

this doesn't mean that an 07 is gonna be the fastest tho - my guess is an 04 or 05 will peak the most ponies

I have a 04 and an 06 and the 04 for sure has more top end scream. I'd say go for it on the 05 - that thing will be BEAST!!

Hopefully this is still on topic for jut: I'm also trying to weigh up the bang for the buck getting my 06 suspension 'seen to'. As far as I know, the modern RMs have quite decent stock suspension, particularly if the owner is average weight. Which should mean that for an average weight/skill rider, the value for getting a revalve would be minimal. But is that logic right? I'm 80kg, and think the suspension is good, though I guess I find the front forks harsh (prolly due to my less than flash speed around the track), so keen to perhaps go one softer springs. But apart from that, anyone think getting a suspension expert to revalve would be that much value for me? (perhaps if 'modern' valving technology can be retrofitted?). People talk about how much faster they go after having their suspension 'done', but isn't that more for correct spring rate and/or damping rate change for non-average riders/enduro etc? Keen for views.

the 03-07 engines aren't exactly alike after a EG big bore... although it probably makes little difference:

Ignition is different

Porting changes drastically, but that will all be the same after a Big bore, like tribal said

this doesn't mean that an 07 is gonna be the fastest tho - my guess is an 04 or 05 will peak the most ponies

I have a 04 and an 06 and the 04 for sure has more top end scream. I'd say go for it on the 05 - that thing will be BEAST!!

Great info. I want as much top end as possible.

Ignition is different

I also have a 04,, the motor completely stock,,I have My jetting, and suspension, perfect.... I let a bunch of different Riders try it,,,, They all said that it was faster than Thier bikes,,,,, Cool,,,,,those Year models are special,,,just ask Ricky C and Travis,,,that's Thier favorite bike's........ Dr.D..

My point is if you are going to get a EG 300 kit then it comes with porting as well. You also don't even know you will get your cylinder as he has cylinders in stock ready for quick turn around. His kit is for 03-08 meaning all cylinders are compatible and it doesn't matter which one you start with as a baseline.

Edit: Sorry forgot in 05 they use dowels on the head, so an 05-08 cylinder would be the same.

The 04 is special to me too... it's got a more aggressive frame than the 06 as well (steeper fork angle).

I believe that the 04 would be capable of better lap times in the hands of an aggressive and skilled rider.

Oh I forgot the crank mass got heavier in 05 as well.