Sign in to follow this  

drz Frame differances to rm450

I have been in contact with Timberseld. They make snow kits for mx bikes.

http://www.timbersled.com/snowbikekits.htm

Now I had asked about a fit kit for a drz, they asked is your frame the same as a rm450.

I really have no clue but have a feeling they are not the same.

Now my question is what mx bike has the same or close to same rear end as our drz bikes. (swing arm/swing arm pin) my main concern about fit issues.

This is what needs to come off during install.

Back Tear Down:

1. Place a stand under the bike to hold it up and balance it. An adjustable stand will work best.

2. Remove seat, back side panels and back half of the exhaust system (will be reused).

3. Remove chain and upper and lower chain rollers from bike (will not be reused).

4. Remove upper shock bolt from frame (will be reused).

5. Remove suspension linkage bolt from frame (will not be reused).

6. Remove brake master cylinder and lever from frame (will not be reused).

7. Remove swing arm pin (will be reused).

8. Remove shock, tire, brake, and swing arm assembly from the bike as a complete unit (will not be reused). Pic.7

9. Remove roost guard from air box (will not be reused).

Any info would be much appreciated!!!!!:lol:

Thanks ya I looked into the explorer model, reviews say its good but not for hills and jumping. rated like 3/5

Although expensive the timbersled snow bike kit can be jumped and climb thoughdeep snow. Just hope it can fit the drz frame.

Not claiming to know much about the subject, but for that price, couldn't you just buy a snowmobile?

Not claiming to know much about the subject, but for that price, couldn't you just buy a snowmobile?

lmao, You sound like the girl friend. but no worries!

Yes 5000 can buy a good used snowmobile, but Im looking for something different and there are races here for these's kits. Nothing huge yet still a growing sport

plus everyone around here has a sled, very very few have mountain horse dirtbikes.

Tech from timberseld said they need a drz400 frame, maybe by time I have the cash saved they will have invested time and resources into a drz kit.:lol:

Edited by bin

Frames are cheap, you could send them one for a hundred bucks and hope they make the kit.

Steve

Steve what part of Ontario do you hand around, TO area? Up north.... thunderbay area?

Drz main frame is $500+. add shipping to timbersled shop location $50-100.

Money I just don't want to donate to timbersled at this point in time.

Who knows maybe they'll consider the project :lol:

No offense intended, just asking cuz that seems like a lot of money for that contraption. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, shit its your money :lol:

I've been snowmobiling for a better portion of my life, and when I ran into a guy on an aprilia 550 with the explorer kit on the trails 2 winters ago, I was considering purchasing (Probably novelty item), but the owner told me that anything under a 450 would be underpowered for the kit...You have to think about the weight it adds and the power required to push. If you would like something similar with ample power, you should look at the snowhawk, or a bigger bike imo...A two smoke 500 might be a better choice for conversion.

snowhawk800hotopgun.jpg

A snow hawk.. I Have this thing about used snowmobiles and bikes.. have a hard time buying..also WE're talkin like 13,000 for one of them basic model new... then tax here is 15%.... idnno man $$$$$$$

I best to start saving now.