Sign in to follow this  

Submerged my 2003 yz250f in water

Hi,

I need some guidance I am new to the dirt bike world and bought a 2003 yz250f two years ago. I did a complete top end rebuild last summer on the bike before i went away to Hatfield Mccoy trails for a week. While I was there i submerged my entire bike in a puddle miles in the woods. I kicked started the hell out of it till i finally got it running after 1 hour, then tried riding it back to the cabin it was smoking really bad out of the exhaust which it had never done before.. so i am assuming i burned the rings and water was getting into the motor through my piston. Thats not the bad thing though.. before i got back i burned through all my oil and the bike shut off and started making a clicking noise and now all it does is click when you go to kick it, however there still is a good deal of compression.

I am going to want to rid it all apart and replace the rings/ possibly the piston, drain the oil and change the filter a bunch and make sure there is no more water. Does anyone know what that clicking noise is?

I am not sure about the noise but I have submerged my bike twice. 1st time wasnt bad but it wouldnt start. 2nd time I felel in like 3 feet of water on the trails. I did not try to start the bike at all. I took it home and took it all apart. Ordered a new top end with a new cam chain as well. Bike ended up being ok.

Sometimes u can hydrolock them and it can be bad news...play it safe!

good luck!

Could he of actually kicked it hard enough to bend the rod? To me that just doesn't seem plausible. Did the 03's have a compression release?

jloria: what do you mean when you say hydrolock... does that mean the kicker will get stuck and feel like it is locked? If that is the case and then the kicker eventually gives in does that mean that water had it locked and I pushed water through my rings into my motor?

thanks

After i submerged the bike the kicker was completly locked up and it eventually gave in and allowed me to try to kick start the bike.

The worst thing you could possibly do is try to start it after you submerged it. You may have bent the rod.
and the axle.

So i tore my top end apart and found that i seized my piston in the sleeve and kicked it to break it free i shattered my piston and scrapped the hell out of my sleeve. so now I am in the market for a top end rebuild kit. Anywhere know where the best price for this is going to be?

Well since I am sure you know how the piston rotation works, you know it has to make it to the top before it can go back down. Now imagine having force on the rod pushing the piston up with water sitting in the cylinder, any amount greater then the volume of the cylinder when the piston is at the top. That is going to keep the piston from completing its upward travel abruptly because the piston HAS to get to the top for the crank to roll over and go back down....which it now cant. This is where the damage happens...depending on force on the upward stroke the worse things could get. When the piston completely stops and the motor feels locked up, its hydrolocked. An emergency only fix for this may be to lay the bike on its side to help the water run out the deep plug hole, take the plug out and try to allow the water somewhere to gently run out...do not assume this means you kick the crap out of it, slowly purge it, and hope severe damage wasnt already done during the original lock up.

And no this advice isnt coming from an expert, lol...just seen it done and seen the above mentioned thing help get the vehicle back to civilization where it was oil changed and checked out.

For future advice, always ride with basic tools to be able to maintenance a little. By just having a socket wrench, a few sockets and other small tools you can roll with a small book bag or camel back and be able to remedy lots of trail issues. When you sink if you HAVE TO try and ride it, pull the seat off and the air filter and shake all the water out. Pull the subframe off and tip the bike back with the throttle open a little to try and let water escape the carb and the intake. Take your exhaust system off let the water come out of the pipes. Don't kick it at all before you at least do those things. Even then, you'll be having water in your oil so its not a good idea to run the bike anyways.

I would really check your head, crank, crank case and rod very carefully.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a big bore kit to me!

As mentioned, have your crank and rod inspected, or just have it rebuilt to be safe. Mr Crankshaft did one for my YZ250 for $170 and it spent more time in transit than it did at his shop! He built it up with a Vesrah (Japanese made) kit and it looked great when I got it back.

I've heard lots of people who use diesel to flush out the water from the cases also. There's some debate as to whether or not the effects seals. Just because of that, when i sank my bike i decided to just get some cheap 5 quarts of some cheap 10w40. When flushing start the bike with fresh oil/ filter. Only let run for a quick minute. Drain oil. Refiill. repeat as many times you need until the oil comes out looking like oil and not milky. When done change your filter again.

I have a 06 wr 250f I submerged in a water whole. What I did to get the water out was drained it then bought a jug or to of cheap motor oil and pored the oil in the engine threw the vent hose on top of the cylinder head untill it would not take any more oil. Then I let it set over night. The next mourning I cracked the drain plug and from where water is heavier then oil nothing but straight water came out the drain plug when I took it out when the water turned to oil I put the plug back in and topped the enging off again with oil. I let it set over night again and repeated process tell no water came out. Then changed oil filter and put right oil in it and correct oil level. I have since rebuilt the top end and you can not tell there was ever any water in it.

Could u just pop the plug out with the gas off. Lay the bike on its side, slightly downhill....and slowly turn it over to push most of the water out through the plug hole? I am more asking in case this was to ever happen, lol.

Could u just pop the plug out with the gas off. Lay the bike on its side, slightly downhill....and slowly turn it over to push most of the water out through the plug hole? I am more asking in case this was to ever happen, lol.

U could do that if you are in a situation where you put ur bike down in a water whole and ur miles from a road. If that's not the case you should never try to start ur bike after getting water in it.