Sign in to follow this  

Direct Lighting Fault

Hi,

My '84 XR appears to conform to the 250L wiring diagram kindly provided by Catuk in response to my previous post, or partially at least in that it has no battery or fuses. This throws me in terms of the lighting and other components such as voltage regulator & regulator. Basically all's well until there's a fault and then I'm lost?

May I first ask if this `direct` battery-less method has any particular drawbacks other than the one's I'm already aware of, ie; horn & indicators (now removed) don't function well at all? In particular, can it cause damage to the alternator, regulator &/or rectifier?

I ask because I now have an annoying fault that's got me totally baffled & it goes like this........Start it up, lights off or on.....I have a good, bright stop light at tick over but give it a decent rev and the lamp dims. Switch the lights on and at tick over there's no dipped/main or tail light. Give it a rev and dipped, or main, plus tail suddenly come on. Keep the revs up and they flicker between bright and dim. Returning to tick over sometimes results in the lights remaining on for a short while & then going out, sometimes they just go out immediately.

This perhaps suggests a loose connection/faulty switch but I've checked and double checked all connections and swapped the light switch to no avail?

Could this be symptomatic of a faulty alternator, regulator or rectifier, in light of the odd stop light behaviour as well as the fact that prior to this the lights always had the flickering problem between bright and dim but they never went out at tick over, only the usual dimming?

I've now come to a full stop and would really appreciate any suggestions as to where I might start?

Thanks/Steve

Isn't this bike a DC/battery system from the factory?

The Regulator caps the voltage to the system from the alternator/stator to around 13-14 volts AC. The Rectifier changes that voltage to DC for the lighting system.

Not sure what you mean by "tick over". Is that "at idle"?

The dimming with revs is backwards from the usual problem. It's usually the other way around. Since you're sure the wiring and connections are good, Cheapest thing to do firstly is to replace the regulator and rectifier to eliminate those as the problem.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/600xrn.jpg/

Your wiring is probably set up more like that,,That's an XR600 diagram with indis/horn/lights but no battery., American XRs and the like never came wired like the ones we get in the UK and NZ,,Although that's a 600 you should be able to use it to look over your system adjusting for the odd different coloured wire to match,,Copy it,,Save it to your computer and reopen the file with your browser, ,ie,,Firefox or IExplorer and left click the picture for the zoom view,,You can zoom it more by holding the left alt button on the keyboard down and rolling the mouse wheel,,

Dunno if your bike has a Capacitor in replacement to the battery,,having the lights run on after you swithch it off sort of sounds as though it may do,,Personally I don't know a lot about Capacitors except that they are used in some cases to replace a battery,,27U is the normal size used,,sort of look like a flasher unit and are generally blue in colour,,.

Thank you for the info.

As you might appreciate from my small avatar, this bike is far from standard, a bitza, built from several others.

I do indeed mean `at idle`

I shall take your advice and investigate the reg/rectifier's first off

Thanks also for the wiring diagram.

Not sure re the...having the lights run on after you switch it off?

Perhaps I haven't expressed the situation too well....but there are no lights, no anything, when the engine is dead, with no battery of course and all lights go out immediately when the lighting switch is switched to off, as per any normal switch?

With that switch on, then all lights only come on when the engine is revved, quite hard....they go out, without touching the on switch, as soon as the revs die back to idle.