Sign in to follow this  

power valve issue (video)

My bike was down on power last weekend and im thinking the power valve is sticking all the way open..I made a video showing the problem. It might not stick like it does in the video when the bike is running but im not sure. please help..

Thanks

Why don't you close her back up but leave the small cover off in the area where you are flipping the linkage with your fingers. Fill the oil back up and run your engine on the stand. You might get a little oil splashing around and you might have to peek around the pipe but you should be able to see the operation good enough to see whats going on.

Thats what I'm going to do this week after my clutch parts come in and i get the bike back together. Just didn't think it seemed right the way it was sticking, and wanted to see if anyone knew what was going on

Yup, what Mark6299 said. Personally I do not think that you have a problem, the gear is just getting bound up without it's support from the cover.

ok thanks.. that was another thing i was thinking that it would work fine when the cover is on it...its down on low end power bad. The previous owner said he thought it was the power valve, but everything looks fine other then the video i posted..may just need a new piston and ring?

I would try lifting the end of the gear to simulate the case being on, or temporarily set the case on to try it. It may be a bad bearing that is binding on the gear shaft. Maybe not, but I know I would make sure it worked good before I put it back together. As far as low end power, when was the last piston and ring change?

yeah i'll just hold the case on it and try it, Im not sure when the last piston and ring change was i just got the bike a couple weeks ago.

put the cover on it tonight and moved it with my hand again. It works but it still has a little bit of grab to it when the rod is pushed all the way up..so it probably is a bearing going bad somewhere. should have the bike back together and running this weekend so i'll see how it acts then.