2012 heavier fly wheel

Got a chance to make 2 laps on my new 2012 crf450r before the bottom fell out Saturday morning.

I could tell right away it was going to need a heavier fly wheel.

after reading several test and reviews other noticed the same.

ordered a stealy +17 this morning.

will be posting results in the next few days.

would like to hear from other owners who have done the same

• 2 weeks later...

It increases the inertia of the engine. (what the hell does that mean)? It made my 08 feel like it has more bottom end (it doesn't), feels smoother and hooks up better on slippery tracks when you wack the throttle, and its harder to stall. I only went +9oz and ride only MX, hardpack to loam. The difference was subtle, but noticable. Corner speed increased. If you ride sand or loamy tracks I dont think the benefit would be much. BTW I would go heavier than +9 for MX and way heavier for slimy trails. like +17. Good luck. Beat my by a milisecond Shawn. The wonders of the internets.

It manages the power output to the ground. It doesnt reduce power, it simply slows the way it slams into the rear wheel.
It increases the inertia of the engine. (what the hell does that mean)? It made my 08 feel like it has more bottom end (it doesn't), feels smoother and hooks up better on slippery tracks when you wack the throttle, and its harder to stall. I only went +9oz and ride only MX, hardpack to loam. The difference was subtle, but noticable. Corner speed increased. If you ride sand or loamy tracks I dont think the benefit would be much. BTW I would go heavier than +9 for MX and way heavier for slimy trails. like +17. Good luck. Beat my by a milisecond Shawn. The wonders of the internets.

Thanks guys. It seems after lurking for a few days, it takes some cash to get these things turned into a good trail bike. I was thinking of buying one brand new too. I have finally got my 450 x to not stall as much, just lug the crap out of it, but from what im hearing about the R you cant just throw it in second and climb. Am I right or wrong? PPl recomend the auto clutch, but that seems like it would take the fun out of riding. I dunno, and buying a bike that you might not like is a big risk.

Just get the +17oz fww and remap it if necassary? Then if you dont like it I will buy it from you at a discount!! LOL. Its not going to lug like your x no matter what and second gear is going to be taller, or at least first gear is for sure!! So just ride faster!! LOL Or put diff sprockets on it, but you will loose some topend for fire roads etc. Not sure what type of riding you do but I love my mx for the woods. And I ride some fairly tight slick stuff etc.

Thanks guys. It seems after lurking for a few days, it takes some cash to get these things turned into a good trail bike. I was thinking of buying one brand new too. I have finally got my 450 x to not stall as much, just lug the crap out of it, but from what im hearing about the R you cant just throw it in second and climb. Am I right or wrong? PPl recomend the auto clutch, but that seems like it would take the fun out of riding. I dunno, and buying a bike that you might not like is a big risk.

I rode 2 strokes for 20 years and while they are more "fun" I cant go faster, and as long, as I can on a thumper. On the other hand the Rekluse clutch will not take the fun out of riding. I find a great deal of fun in getting better starts in MX and not getting arm pump from clutch use. I go faster with less effort = FUN. They take some mechanical ability to set up properly, but the website and install manual will help. I think an R would require more setup than its worth for tight trails. Just stick with an X.

SO i got the fly wheel on, first time to ever ride was at a race this weekend.

only close to stalling once on some breaking bumps coming into on off camber turn. dumped the clutch and restarted on the roll.

due to rain did not get a chance to try it on the track before fly wheel change, just around the house.

after 4 moto's there was only that one near stall, id say the fly wheel helped alot. may change back after I get use to riding it but for now im going to stick with it.

I first put a FWW on my 09 R, and truthfully I think it helped, but it was such a small difference I could hardly tell.

I started doing some more technical hare scrambles and ended up stalling sometimes on the really slow technical stuff wasting a lot of energy. Got a rekluse, and ride like normal without the random stalls in the slow stuff. Really made a tractor out of my R. Sometimes I can even ride stuff a gear high now and be a bit smoother. Also helps out with arm pump a little since the R is a lot of clutch in the techy stuff.

I do miss my compression breaking on downhills though.