Sign in to follow this  

Tips for selling 1998 XR250R?

I'm selling my 300cc beast California street legal 1998 XR250R so that I can buy something that doesn't want to loop out every time I touch the throttle :lol:

What things should I say in my craigslist ad to make it attractive? I want to get top dollar for it. Should I say that it has a built out engine that wants to rip your arms off or no?

California street legal
If the bike has a CA plate, then that's all you need to say and it will be snapped up very quickly.

Oh, mention 300cc also :lol:

"rare" "one of a kind" "well maintained" "unique" etc. all really neat descriptive words. However for me they mean nothing. I look for bikes that have not been modded to the moon no matter how well the work was performed. Telling someone that it wheelies all the time, etc will attract the wanna be racer type, not typically the "pay full price" type.

I would be thorough in your listing of what was done, how it was treated, and that it needs a good home and that you are reluctant to sell. Take a LOT of pics, host them elsewhere with a link and add the simple 4 that CL allows.

What Ramz said is real, if its a legit Ca plated bike it'll get top dollar if its in great shape. You WILL regret selling it. Mark my words.

I buy and sell a lot of bikes on CL. Short and sweat is the best, guys like the hunt .

98 XR250r Big bore 300---California street legal Meticulously maintained This is one clean and fast XR $ XXXXXX

Phone # always and you return a Tex

Four well thought out photos views from on your knees

Thats my MO and it works !

I buy and sell a lot of bikes on CL. Short and sweat is the best, guys like the hunt .

98 XR250r Big bore 300---California street legal Meticulously maintained This is one clean and fast XR $ XXXXXX

Phone # always and you return a Tex

Four well thought out photos views from on your knees

Thats my MO and it works !

Sweet :lol:

Well? How much you asking for it??

I don't know. How much should I ask and how much should I expect to get? I listed it as $2800 to discourage cheapos and attract people looking for a NICE bike.

Here's the best tip I can give you. Sell it to ME for 1500 bucks! :lol: It will be in a loving home with other bikes to talk with in the garage :)

That is a great bike, you should have no trouble selling it. Like others said the important thing is Ca plated and the 300 kit. Saaaaweeeet

Cool cool, thanks for all the tips :lol:

I know I'm going to regret selling it. It was the bike I dreamed of for years :) I feel another XR in the future though.

dude what are you smok/mg???? don't sell it douche

I'm selling my 300cc beast California street legal 1998 XR250R so that I can buy something that doesn't want to loop out every time I touch the throttle :)

What things should I say in my craigslist ad to make it attractive? I want to get top dollar for it. Should I say that it has a built out engine that wants to rip your arms off or no?

Too much bike, he wants something mellower.:lol:

Sweet :lol:

I don't know. How much should I ask and how much should I expect to get? I listed it as $2800 to discourage cheapos and attract people looking for a NICE bike.

Hopefully you got what you asked for it......

I geuss if you find someone that has to have a plated XR250, but I couldn't imagine spending almost $3K for a 14yo bike. Even though it is a XR and has the 300kit.

You are competing with.... (that is if your orange,ca)

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=plated&srchType=A&minAsk=2500&maxAsk=3000

OK, let me start off by saying this XR is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a dirt bike to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this Honda would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly. It was never intended to ride down a grass filled ditch in your LBZ baggy gear looking like a spode. It wasn't meant to do 3-foot long pop wheelies in front of your hillbilly friends in your cousin's back yard while everyone drinks Budweiser. No, that's what a 50 is for. If that's the kind of bike you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. This bike has been to hell and back, twice, and has the scars to prove it. So if you can't handle being seen behind the bars of this biblical, fire breathing, dragon slaying hero because it has a few purple hearts, move on.

This bike was engineered by 3rd degree ninja pirate super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous Nancy boy, contradictory decor in the form of Monster, Red Bull, Spy, Oakley, FMF, and Pro Circuit stickers plastered all over the bike.

This bike looks legit because it is. This brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has 300cc to fly down the trail or to outrun the cops and has a 6-speed transmission so you know grandma won't be taking off with it when you're not looking. It's saved my bacon more than once. It's got special blood/gore resistant grippy seat cover. It even has a first-aid kit in the back. You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself. (NOTE: I cut myself fighting a streetbiker who looked at me funny and used the first aid kit, a replacement kit is available for an additional $100 and comes with Gentleman's Jack.)

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $2800 but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $500 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's many a mile on this hellcat from Planet Kickass since purchased in 98'. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo. Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then reply to this ad. I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my lady, but leave a message and I'll get back to you. And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of

Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash.

• Like 1

OK, let me start off by saying this XR is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a dirt bike to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this Honda would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly. It was never intended to ride down a grass filled ditch in your LBZ baggy gear looking like a spode. It wasn't meant to do 3-foot long pop wheelies in front of your hillbilly friends in your cousin's back yard while everyone drinks Budweiser. No, that's what a 50 is for. If that's the kind of bike you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. This bike has been to hell and back, twice, and has the scars to prove it. So if you can't handle being seen behind the bars of this biblical, fire breathing, dragon slaying hero because it has a few purple hearts, move on.

This bike was engineered by 3rd degree ninja pirate super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous Nancy boy, contradictory decor in the form of Monster, Red Bull, Spy, Oakley, FMF, and Pro Circuit stickers plastered all over the bike.

This bike looks legit because it is. This brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has 300cc to fly down the trail or to outrun the cops and has a 6-speed transmission so you know grandma won't be taking off with it when you're not looking. It's saved my bacon more than once. It's got special blood/gore resistant grippy seat cover. It even has a first-aid kit in the back. You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself. (NOTE: I cut myself fighting a streetbiker who looked at me funny and used the first aid kit, a replacement kit is available for an additional $100 and comes with Gentleman's Jack.)

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $2800 but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $500 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's many a mile on this hellcat from Planet Kickass since purchased in 98'. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo. Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then reply to this ad. I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my lady, but leave a message and I'll get back to you. And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of

Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash.

DAMN!!!! Now that's a proper sales add. :) My testosterone level went up just reading it. :lol:

I don't always ride a motorcycle, but when I do, I prefer an XR250

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrU0hbli__9OFMYnAH4LAu9PgrwkulFv_wOyG5nfyYOZIuudnx

• Like 1

One thing I always do when I sell a bike, is to meticulously clean/shine every square inch of it. Yes, doing this on a dirt bike is a very time consuming, labor intensive process, but in the end it is usually worth it. When I sold a 98 XR250 several years ago, I spent some serious time doing just what I have described. I had it out in front of my garage when the guy pulled up to look at it. I could see it in his eyes that the bike was sold, before he even got out of the car. A quick test ride down the street, minimal chit chat, SOLD, all in the space of about 10 minutes! Bottom line is, go to Harbor Freight, get yourself an assortment of various sized pipe cleaners/brushes, take all the plastic off the bike, the skid plate too, then clean clean clean! I'm talking 0000 steel wool to each individual filthy spoke, every nook and cranny kind of clean! To breath a little shine into the old plastic, a product called "Trim Restorer" by Eagle One, actually does a pretty decent job. Only multiple applications of "Soft Scrub With Bleach" was able to get the yellow off the white tank though. Of course the abrasive qualities of that product didn't do much as far as the shine is concerned, but I'll take dull bright white as opposed to yellowed white any day. Anyway, like I said, it is very time consuming, but just think about how all those pristine, new bikes make you feel when you are at the dealership buying oil filters for your 13 year old XR......Makes you want to take one home every time, huh?

I'm selling my 300cc beast California street legal 1998 XR250R so that I can buy something that doesn't want to loop out every time I touch the throttle :lol:

Make it look good and take good pictures