Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 125 help??

Hello Im new to the site but having been trolling it for awhile. by far the best site for off road bike and quad related information.

I have a 05 drz 125 that i had just got the top end rebuilt by a shop locally here in Columbus Ohio i took it out for its first ride on some local trails and around the hour and half mark the bike started sputtering and seemed to sound like a little backfiring,it barely got me back to the truck.i could get it running but it cuts out and sputters a little not giving a steady idle when applied consistently enough to keep it running. i pulled the carb out and checked it out but it was clean. i could put another carb on it to check when i get off work but until then does any one have some other ideas.

Check all your wire connections .. Make they are tight fitting and corrosion free ... Also check your coil wire it fits into the spark plug cap tightly ..

Is your fuel tank petcock flowing freely ? Make sure it flows ok in both RES and ON ..

i was going to say check the pet cock as well, after cleaning the pet cock drain your gas and take a flash lite in the tank. . . i have found two bugs in my tank when i first bought my DRZ 125. also after all that put a inline filter on the gas line. so you can eliminate that problem.

maybe try a new plug also. . . let us know

so I drained the tank and check connections-all good the petcock was 70 % clogged and the spark plug was completely filled with hardened carbon, it was amazing that it ran with it in that condition. replaced plug and put new gas and let idle and run for 20 minutes with no stalling. i did the air box mod removed snorkel and could definitely hear a difference in throttle, was wondering about adding another hole next to the snorkel hole? has anyone added extra holes there with any turbulence issues? ill take her out in the alley when it warms up some. thanks again for the info fellas. anyone got a pipe for sale for cheap, was thinking about a cheap ebay protec mach 1???

My airbox looks like swiss cheese....the more the better as longs as your filter is still protected.

idk about cheep, but i got a pro circuit t4 exhaust for about 200 i think. i really like it. i would check the TT classifieds or ebay though if your looking for a good deal on an exhaust.

if you do get an aftermarket exhaust your most likely wanna re jet your carb. i have a 17.5 pilot jet and a 110 main. if you take those jets out of your carb ans take them to your local dealership and they will hook you up, only about 10 bucks at the most.