Sign in to follow this  

Huzzah!

After almost a full year out of commission, I finally have my CRF in a spot where it can be rebuilt! The swingarm pivot bolt was so corroded (previous owners didn't grease it, so the aluminum pin seized onto the steal bushing collars and inner bearing races) that it swelled about 25% in the center. Took my dad and I about 18 man hours of alternating between a blow torch, a can of kroil, and a 4 lbs engineer mini-sledge (in addition to the time that I already put in before moving down here).

Gotta love it when family visits for the holidays and can be assigned to hard labor. :)

I know... Not that interesting, but super liberating for me! Ha! I will post pics this week so that everybody can see what I'm talking about - and maybe it will serve as a reminder that all people should grease their swingarms! :lol:

by the way... is there anything that I should be double checking prior to firing up the motor, since the bike was wailed on with a hammer for so long? i already plan to check all crank case cover bolts, since a few of them actually vibrated themselves out and fell on the floor! i was also thinking about double checking the valves, just in case...

anything else you can think of?

What an moron the previous owner must have been. I personally would check over the entire bike. If hes too lazy or dumb to do the swingarm theres no telling if he even did anything. Id check valves, fresh oil and filter, coolant, regrease swingarm/linkage. Steering stem, rea brake pivot bolt. Bleed the brakes. Check every single bolt on the bike. New fuel.

oh, i've had the bike for about 2 years... the last 16 or so months, it has been out of commission... i rode for a little while (should have known something was wrong when i bought the bike with leaky forks and flat tires), i took it apart to replace all the bearings, got stuck beating on the swingarm pivot bolt, then went through about 8 months worth of moving from state to state and buying a house... just now got the garage set up and started working on the bike again... :lol:

Use antiseize on the bolt. Grease works good, but I've never had an issue with antiseize. The axel adjustment bolts that threads into the swingarm are also know to freeze up like the swingarm bolt. Antiseize them too.

Once you get fresh oil in the engine, slowly kick it over to get the oil distributed through out the engine. Your clutches are probably stuck together too. Common after the bike sits a while.