Sign in to follow this  

Install a grease zerk in the head stay??

What would be the down side of drilling and tapping a hole in the steering head stay tube and installing a grease zerk. I know the extra grease would add some weight but I'm not worried about that. Seems like it would work.

What am I missing??

Were cud u put it without drIlling in the race? U cudnt drill the race it would ruin it

I was thinking in the main tube. In the middle somewhere. By filling the whole tube with grease wouldn't you be able to "force" grease into the bearing like you do on a car? Just enough to start coming out the seal on top and bottom? A couple squirts now and then?

ive never seen the point of zerk fittings on dirtbikes, they are easy enough to work on that you can just take them apart and clean the old grease off and put new grease on. I dont see the point of just pushing old grease into the bearings

Well, it wouldn't be old grease. That's kinda the point. It would be new grease pushing out the water/dirt/grit that gets in there. I am down to three bikes now but would like to spend more time riding and less on greasing/replacing. If it would still lubricate it correctly, I would zerk everything. My buddy has an RMX with all the fittings for the swing arm. Sure makes it easy. His rear suspension and swing arm are tight as can be. It's a 96! Anyway, thanks for the push back. That's what I'm looking for. There must be a reason no one does it.

Not sure. That would be a problem. Looks like I will tear it apart and see if it makes sense to do it. I know most are a separate tube welded to the back bone and down tubes. Not sure on this bike.

i like the idea...i dont think there are any orifices for it to escape out before reaching the bearings...would probably take quite a bit the first time to fill the void....

I think you are making too much of nothing. I have been doing this since 1975 and have yet to take apart a headstay and see any issue. No dirt, no rust, nothing.

Maybe it's because I am in there often enough to prevent it? Have you ever had an issue?

When I first got into riding I had an -88 and a -90 KX 250. All bearings were shot. I put grease zerks on all the pivots just because I was so tired of changing them. I even made bronze bushings in a lathe and pressed them in to save money. It worked, and the excess grease didn´t bother me. Now I would never do it.

Heck I even put one on the brake pedal and kick starter now that my memory starts working!

D-K, why wouldn't you do it now? Now that I think of it I did the brass bushing thing on my 1972 Honda CT-70. My dad made them at the factory he worked at!

Just pushing grease in and make a mess is something I personally don´t like.

I like a squeeky clean bike and to be on top of the maintenance game. I also like knowing what condition the parts are in.

But there is no question about if it will shorten the maintenance time, it will.

As far as weakening the parts by drilling a hole in some random spot, I highly doubt any part will develop a crack and fail. Then again, stuff can happen.

Just pushing grease in and make a mess is something I personally don´t like.

I like a squeeky clean bike and to be on top of the maintenance game. I also like knowing what condition the parts are in.

But there is no question about if it will shorten the maintenance time, it will.

As far as weakening the parts by drilling a hole in some random spot, I highly doubt any part will develop a crack and fail. Then again, stuff can happen.

i think everybody should take a few days outa there time only once a year to re-grease everything, install new zip ties, fix any small issues like loose rivets or something. i hate that my brake pedal gets loose on the tip after a year or two of use. then i take some scotch brite to EVERYTHING. specially hoses to get em brand new looking. polish everything up for that nice show room polish (excluding bottom tubes of frame, subframe, and swingarm) cause it looks like ass after one ride. steer tube and top frame tube only. get all that baked on crap off the exhaust

I say you probably should not do this.. Not only would it add roughly more then a 1lb of weight to the front of the bike.. It probably wont get into the bearings worth a damn.. Easier and safer to just remove the clamps atleast once a year and grease it your self..

MotorX s2000 is the best stuff I have ever used..

I say you probably should not do this.. Not only would it add roughly more then a 1lb of weight to the front of the bike.. It probably wont get into the bearings worth a damn.. Easier and safer to just remove the clamps atleast once a year and grease it your self..

MotorX s2000 is the best stuff I have ever used..

how much does that stuff run? thats what we put on the team riders bikes at zip ty. its pretty good