Sign in to follow this  

Powder Coating Wheels

I really like black rims on dirt bikes but don’t care to dish out the big bucks for them. I was thinking of taking the wheels off my 02 xr250 to have them powder coated but for that I first need to remove all the spokes. By removing existing spokes, do I really need to replace with new?

And have any of you done this before?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I had my wheels and hubs powder coated, but I replaced my spokes. I have just over a years ride time on them and they are chipping at the edge. Love the look of black rims and red hubs.

How much per wheel? Im going to do that also as i have spare wheel sets for my yz i got cheap, im just going to have them do the whole wheel intact as i seen a guy that did it and it looked pretty good.

Here’s the scoop.

$80 to powder coat both wheels.

$110 for a new set of spokes

$220 to relace and true both wheels.

I am looking at around $410 for the complete job. That’s a lot of dough just to have “nice looking” wheels.

I'd heard that powder coat had a chipping problem on rims... Do you think that epoxy paint would hold up better ?

Also, you can reuse your old spokes (I have), and you can lace them back up yourself. Just be sure to note which length spokes go in which direction and side... take pics to help you remember.

Perc

Considering the time spent stripping the wheels down and the cost of preparing & powder coating your old rims you may as well buy a pair of aftermarket (black rims), I cant see it being much cheaper powder coating?

For example> http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOSE-RACING-RR-RIM-BLCK-2-15x18-CR-250R-CRF-250R-450R-XR-650R-/390361364298?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae359b74a

If these dont fit? Some aftermarket XR rims should be around the same price?

Powder coating will add (moving) weight which is certainly not wanted, Will also peel & chip as already mentioned but also the rim can corrode and generally go yucky underneath the powder coating without you knowing

Some nice aftermarket rims are typically lighter than stock yet stronger and have a nice anodized coating, They will also go back together nicely without powdercoating in the spoke holes too

Another note, Im sure powder coating would put the rim out of balance too as they are sprayed with the coating hanging up then baked so the coating may possibly build up more on the bottom when baking?

Edited by XR250INOZ
Editing

I fabricated my own truing stand, laced and trued my own wheels, got the powder coating for free, so I was only out the money for new spokes.

Nice!!

How is the powder coating holding on to your wheels?

What type of riding do you do? (dirt/desert or mud)

When repalcing tires - does the wheel gt scratch easily?

Thanks

I fabricated my own truing stand, laced and trued my own wheels, got the powder coating for free, so I was only out the money for new spokes.

Same exact scenario for me. My 98 cr250 is black with hints of red everywhere so I'm getting the wheels done black, chrome spokes, red nipples, red hubs, and black rear sprocket. It. will. be. dope.

For the ones saying just buy new wheels, powdercoat $ is SIGNIFICANTLY less than new black wheels. Like less than half the cost. Don't even get me started on buying red aluminum hubs :lol: soo expensive.

Yea powdercoat will add a tiny bit of weight but the truth is unless you're chad reed or james stewart, we're not good enough for it to hinder our performance.

My 98 cr250 is black with hints of red everywhere so I'm getting the wheels done black, chrome spokes, red nipples, red hubs, and black rear sprocket.

pictures, please :lol:

nice bike, ThumperTDC

I do dread the relacing my wheels

how hard is it to get them true, Perc?

now I need to decide on color scheme

no polished, chromy parts

the frame will stay white

am thinking red engine like early 80's XL

have a white and a red tank

the rest of the plastics I can paint if needed

now red hubs or not?

all white/silver except for engine hubs and number plates?

oh man, the engine is running, I do not even have a shock yet, no wheel bearings but think about looks?

pictures, please :lol:

Here you go bud. Little bits and pieces of her the first couple pics are the most current. Now just picture it with the black rear wheel, red hubs, red nipples, black sprocket, and red chain....DROOL!!

IMAG0506.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0487.jpg

Tell me what you think...Been thinking about going white plastics white a black/red graphic which we custom make and our 100x better quality than the one industries graphics. Plus it's truly custom :)

Edited by BlackCR25098

I called my local powder coating house here in AZ and they claim they can powder both wheel including spokes for $60. My concern is that one you bust a spoke the replacement will not be colored.

Tempting....the disc will need to be removed of course.

As far as the added weigh - 48oz of water in your camelback will weight more than the actual powder coat finish on your wheels.

Any of you guys want your CR looking remotely close to this, get "NEVER DULL" Just discovered this polish tonight and man is it a level above all of the others...and yes the brake lever is removed I'm currently polishing it and fitting a red anodized brake cleat on it :lol:

I polished the kickstart, pipe, frame, triple clamp, and right side case there

IMAG0510.jpg

... powder both wheel including spokes for $60. My concern is that one you bust a spoke the replacement will not be colored.

Tempting....the disc will need to be removed of course...

you mean the whole assembled wheel? hub, spokes, rim

I would worry about broken spokes less than about adjusting spokes,

the nipples are now powder-glued to your rim and to the spoke

not sure that stays pretty once you take the wrench to it

anybody with 1st hand experience on this?

Nice!!!

But please note that many of these type of polishers are actually removing any type of protective coating the metal may have. (clear anodize)

Yea I realize that but honestly I don't really need any sort of "protective coat" for my frame. As long as it looks good and is not negatively effecting the structural integrity of the metal, I'll be doing it. I have to polish it every single time I ride it gets dirty as soon as my leg hits it. Hell, even if I don't ride it will oxidize and need polishing once a week or so, but it just looks soooo darn good!

I will be having my rims on the 400 done in a couple weeks. My advice is find a powder coating place that knows you need to sand blast the rims before coating. Make sure they are not using any media that contains any metal, as your aluminum wheel will rust. Also it is pretty easy to just to coat the rim. Take your wheels, and where the spokes cross each other; put some tape around the cross very tight. You also what to make sure of any offsets between rim and hub(back wheel) make a fixture to make sure when you put the rims back on they are where they should be. With everything taped, just undo all the nipples and pull the rim off. All your spokes are where they sholud be. Paint them and slip them back on. Worst case you will have to get new nipples. Hope this helps.