Sign in to follow this  

Spot emergency use in Baja

Has anyone had to use the spot 911 in Baja yet?

Hopefully not.

Just curious as to who comes out to get your broken azz.

Is it one of those minivan ambulances?

That's a good question. I have one but have never needed the 911 button. I think I know some people who got stuck in a snow storm a couple of years ago in Baja.....lets see, PE, FMF, La Po.. maybe they could tell us.

That's a good question. I have one but have never needed the 911 button. I think I know some people who got stuck in a snow storm a couple of years ago in Baja.....lets see, PE, FMF, La Po.. maybe they could tell us.

I heard that one, and i think they got some kind of help

I emailed spot with this quest recently. They were 100% no help in answering what happens in baja if you hit the button. Id love to hear from other's experience.

I emailed spot with this quest recently. They were 100% no help in answering what happens in baja if you hit the button. Id love to hear from other's experience.

Wow, not the response I would hope to hear from the people that sell the product.

Edited by OUTERLIMITS

SPOT DON"T KNOW JACK(ATTACK)

I called GEOS, the company SPOT contracts with. If you buy a SPOT, but don't pay for the GEOS part, 911 button. won't work.

http://www.geosalliance.com/contactus.html

Toll free (888) 460 4554 (US only)

(281) 271 8588 (Houston)

I pressed 1 for this is an "EMERGENCY" and told the guy it wasn't an emergency and could he talk to the press. He had some time and we talked

"Mexican Military Either Way."

Ground based unit (Mexican Army)

Maritime unit (Mexican Navy)

These units can also contact the local authorities in surrounding areas (Lets hope those guys can use GPS) and the Mexican Federal police.

I got this from David Neet in the GEOS dispatch center. He also told me the guy who handles all of this is Kevin and he'll be in tomorrow. He is the head person.

I carry the SPOT every time and in my 911 message, it states for them to arrange immediate air evacuation and prompts dispatch to ref. our different insurance policies. GEOS and AERO MEDIVAC.

Heck, I'd really like to find out exactly how it would go down and if they can do that because in the event we had a real bad situation happen at the end of the day in northern baja, I can't see a US based air rescue taking place until at least day break. In that case I would want the soldiers to coordinate a rescue by any means possible.

I really hope that someone with some air evac experience in BAJA can comment here on this...I'll call head person Kevin tomorrow and try to get some quotes from him.

-Scotty Rivera

If I remember correctly, our own JAT tried to follow up on this very subject

but couldn't get any thing nailed down. maybe he can chime in and update us

(if there is anything to update on)!

From GEOS-

Kevin (?) “our responses based on longitude and latitude… In Baja we have a # of contacts for situation…anywhere from 5-20 rescues have been carried out in Baja all related to SPOT. A # have been involved with the race itself. We can utilize a number of different SAR groups, not just the local military”

It's unlikely that a US based air SAR (search and rescue) can happen without prior embassey approval.

But if you call GEOS directly with sat phone they will immediately conference you into the emergency unit coordinator for the region you are calling from.

:lol:

If I remember correctly, our own JAT tried to follow up on this very subject

but couldn't get any thing nailed down. maybe he can chime in and update us

(if there is anything to update on)!

Your very correct. All posted here (latest update, about a year ago);

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712515

... remember, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Use several options to "get help". AND, remember, it's only SPOT's responsibility to send the original signal and keep your position updated. NOT to come get you. That's GEOS ALLIANCE, they stay with the contacted authorities until your found. SPOT has nothing to do with Search-and-Rescue services.

I was on a ride in 2009 where a rider crashed at San Antonio del Mar. We hit 911 on a Spot and within an hour the local Policia from Camalu showed up followed shortly by an ambulance. The rider was transpoted to a free hospital in Vincent Guerrero were he was taken care of... I was pretty skeptical about it working, but it did.