Sign in to follow this  

Seized brake pins

So go figure one pin on each caliper is siezed and stripped, leaving me unable to change 20 year old brake pads. What methods of extraction are ok for calipers? Before i drill and re-tap, i didnt know if heat/cool or vibration would work or be safe for a brake caliper. Thanks ahead of time.

So go figure one pin on each caliper is siezed and stripped, leaving me unable to change 20 year old brake pads. What methods of extraction are ok for calipers? Before i drill and re-tap, i didnt know if heat/cool or vibration would work or be safe for a brake caliper. Thanks ahead of time.

You should be able to drill out the pin w/o destroying the threads. Another method would be to weld an allen wrench into the stripped hole then turn it out. You can also probably get in there with a zawzall and cut the pin out, so that you can at least get the brake pads out of the way before attacking the threaded part.

JayC

20YO calipers need a rebuild or replacement. No way are the piston seals any good anymore.

If you are not comfortable extracing the siezed pins, let a machine shop remove them and the piston.

Then get new pins and a rebuild kit. Do the master too and replace the line.

If the seals are shot would it leak fluid? It doesnt leak a drop and i can still get a firm brake, albeit with extra lever travel. Its a weekend warrior bike, more for leisure than hard riding.

can you grab he pin where the break pads are with a pair of miniature needle nose vice grips.....and back the pin out?

You may need to clan the piston good before compressing so it does not rip the seal when you push it in. On old street bikes that were sitting for years and the caliper was sticking..... I have had good success in just taking the caliper piston out and cleaning the corrosion build up between the housing and the piston seal.

Not always. They can loose flexibility.

It is your bike. If brakes are not important, no problem. Just be sure to let those around you know as well as your insurance company.

Nope, i guess brakes arent important. Ill remember to just say 'wow thats exactly what ill do!" instead of daring to ask another question. And for a moderator of all people... Anyways, im not against rebuilding, however not everyone has unlimited resources

Sorry you feel that way. That sort of mindset is the one where in six months a person posts how they crashed and does not know why. Or when they go to sell a bike and no one will pay book on it. Or when they crash and do not replace a helmet, then crash a second time and get seriously hurt.

My responsibility as a moderator is simply to ensure the forums are managed. TT in no way backs my opinions.

My knowledge of bikes and how to do things are my own, from having worked as a FSM for Yamaha and being involved in the sport for fourty years. Just as yours are based on your knowledge.

You commented that if the piston seals do not leak, they are fine. I told you otherwise. The seals being past their useful life is the same reason the pins are siezed. Lack of maintenance. Did you know, brake fluid is supposed to be changed at least every other year, that lines and seals replaced every five? Yours are twenty.

You asked for advice and were given it. I am sorry it was not what you wanted to hear.

Had you said that instead of saying call my insurance it would have been taken differently. So with that said, then yes i will def rebuild as i now know the importance. However this thread was about what is safe in removing a stripped pin, not about how good my insurance is. Thanks for your clarification, but re-read this thread and see from my pov if it sounded like another ******* remark that are so prominant on this site.

Nope, i guess brakes arent important. Ill remember to just say 'wow thats exactly what ill do!" instead of daring to ask another question. And for a moderator of all people... Anyways, im not against rebuilding, however not everyone has unlimited resources

Once you get the pads out, you'll be able to see if the piston seals are looking bad and/or cracking. If not, stuff them back together. In the meantime, any progress on getting the pins out?

My Tundra has a similar brake system with dual-pistons and pins like a bike, except they don't screw in. They were seized in place when I did my first pad change - had to drill them out through 1" of caliper. Took all weekend.

You can drill out the pins going in through the stripped allen-head hole. Use a bit that is the diameter of the pin itself - it will self-center via the stripped hole. Once you get through the face of the caliper, the pin will be free and you can get everything apart. You may have to re-drill the threaded hole, depending on how oversized the threaded part is relative to the pin. When your drill hole is the same size as the inside of the threads, you'll be able to pick out the stuck threads and be good to go.

JayC

No progress. Im out of town right now. I was fact finding before i get back next week. The bike was given to me after sitting for ten years, so theres a lot to be done. Well see how it goes