Sign in to follow this  

modded exhaust. anyone tried it?

I don't want to spend the $ right now on a mrd exhaust. I want to try something with the stock exhaust and didn't know if anyone else has tried it. I want to cut the mufflers end cap mount off, then cut about 8 inches out of the muffler, and weld the mount back on. It will look like a factory part when I'm done with it. I found a pic of a yoshi with 8 inches cut out of it and really like it. Just not sure if it would hurt performance or be to loud. Surly it wouldn't be as loud as a racing exhaust but?? I mainly want to do it for looks and a little more sound. But I don't want it to sound like crap.

Blue line is where I'll cut and weld the end back on.

forum052.jpg

There are a number of internal baffles to deal with but sure it can be done and will sound OK. In 12 years of production, there is nothing that has not been tried with the stock exhaust. Before you cut it there you might think about cutting it forward where there is a weld joint, then relocate the mount.

That's almost exactly what I'm looking to do. I searched for it but must not have used the correct key words. Thanks I'll prob get started on it this weekend.

Not looking to gain power. Just doing it for looks to clean up the back end and a little louder exhaust. I'll prob make an insert so I can put some muffler packing in there.

Not looking to gain power. Just doing it for looks to clean up the back end and a little louder exhaust. I'll prob make an insert so I can put some muffler packing in there.

Well you will achieve your aim...and good luck with tuning it.....:lol:

I got my pipe finished up. Took 8.5 inches out of it. Only one of the baffles was removed. It has a little more grumble and its exactly what I was looking for in the looks department.

I got my pipe finished up. Took 8.5 inches out of it. Only one of the baffles was removed. It has a little more grumble and its exactly what I was looking for in the looks department.

Picture please!

Here ya go. The last picture shows I even had a spark arrestor to keep certain people happy in my area. :lol:

forum053.jpg

forum054.jpg

forum055.jpg

forum056.jpg

forum057.jpg

Looks pretty good! :lol: Ive been thinking of going back to my stocker. I have a Two Bros. slip on thats just a noise maker.

EDIT: Nice License plate!

I herd that. I want a mrd or yoshi system but it will be to loud where I ride. So I'll probably stick with what I have now. I know how loud they get with a full exhaust because I have a full Yoshi on my ltz400 quad and wow. I never really knew how loud it was till my buddy took it for a rip. I swear I could almost hear him a mile away.

Thanks. I took her for a short ride and everything felt as it did before the nip and tuck. Just a little louder. Its been raining here so haven't had it out much.