Sign in to follow this  

Switch from Tubeliss with Trials tires?

Ok - I converted to tubeliss and trials tires on the rear tire several years ago and love it. I spoke with Jeff who created the Tubeliss system and he says riders who love trials tires are switching to a Dunlop 739AT and running it as low as 1.5 psi and like it more that trials tires.

Jeff also said that the Dunlop 908 works great on the front at low pressues (4-8psi).

I ride rocky desert/mtn single track.

I'd like to hear from any of you who have tried this.

I may try this, but the 739at has a bad rep out here on the east coast, I think it's because of the clay in the mountains

I've often thought of trying the Tubeliss with a Metzler Unicross (or MT16). I regularly run the Unicross as low as 5psi with an ultra heavy duty tube, and I have often wondered what it would do at 2-3psi. The tire has an extremely tall sidewall which really allows the tire to wrap around objects at lower pressures without damaging the rim.

I may try this, but the 739at has a bad rep out here on the east coast, I think it's because of the clay in the mountains

I love my TuBliss System, but, the 739...Arghhh!! I'm with you MegaDeth!!

I suspect that any knobby at any pressure is only going to work well as long as the knobs are good and sharp. To me, one of the best things about a trials tire is consistent grip, even when the knobs are worn way down.

I've run Tubliss for 2 yrs. With the MT 43 on the back. It's a great combo. It isn't as sticky as a true trials tire even though it is. The knobbies stay on the tire at 50 mph down the road. I usually run between 4 an 6 psi cold. I know that other brand trials tires will loose knobbies, I have seen that.

What is a good front tire with Tublisss? I'm looking for a stronger sidewall. I tried a Pirelli Scorpion Extra but after one lap at the boneyard, the knob tore and went flat. I just rode it flat for the rest of the day, no biggie.

The Dunlop 908RR is near bullet proof & works AWESOME at low pressures, lasts a LONG tire & VERY hard to beat in most all conditions!!

I've run Tubliss for 2 yrs. With the MT 43 on the back. It's a great combo. It isn't as sticky as a true trials tire even though it is. The knobbies stay on the tire at 50 mph down the road. I usually run between 4 an 6 psi cold. I know that other brand trials tires will loose knobbies, I have seen that.

What is a good front tire with Tublisss? I'm looking for a stronger sidewall. I tried a Pirelli Scorpion Extra but after one lap at the boneyard, the knob tore and went flat. I just rode it flat for the rest of the day, no biggie.

I run the D952 on the front and it holds up Very Well. I tried a D742FA and had problems with it working w/TuBliss.

dont mean to hijack the thread, but i dont know to much about these trials tire... anyone wana fill me in? what is so good about it? ive heard of tubliss before, but not a trials tire... is it a tire like the ones on trials bikes? how does it make riding easier?

thanks for any info i am really interested in hearing about these.

dont mean to hijack the thread, but i dont know to much about these trials tire... anyone wana fill me in? what is so good about it? ive heard of tubliss before, but not a trials tire... is it a tire like the ones on trials bikes? how does it make riding easier?

thanks for any info i am really interested in hearing about these.

For lots of discussion on the benefits of trials tires do a ThumperTalk Search on Trials Tires and go back for several years.