Sign in to follow this  

What did I do to my poor bike?

So... I bought this bike brand new this February. Immediately noticed that the jetting is finnicky and the bike is unusually hard to start (to fire up, not kick over). No big deal.

Usually ride in Hungry Valley, CA. Constantly having to mess with the idle because it either idles way too high or will barely keep alive.

I change the oil/filter and clean the air filter before every ride.

Went to Ballinger over the long weekend and the jetting issue got way more noticeable. Though idling super high in neutral, the bike just did not want to stay on when in gear. Really bogging down.

We did this trail ride in the morning called "Clutches Path", which was really tight, steep and long. Everyone was overheating badly only half-way up the trail. When we got back to camp, my coolant was really low so I topped it off. We went back to the same trail later that day, and at the very last hill climb almost at the top, my bike was again really over-heated and suddenly I was just losing all of my momentum until I finally had to stop and back my bike up against a tree to let it rest. I started it up again, and now it sounds like a tea kettle whistling and we could hear stuff literally bubbling in my tank. My friends told me to try to get in gear and start again. It clicked into second, but as soon as I let the clutch out it was just SCREAMING and would not move an inch. Tried third, fourth. Then back to first. Nothing. Turned the bike off and tried coasting it back down the trail. Once out of the hill climb section I had to get off and start pushing, which worked for a while until the compression started coming back and then even pulling in my clutch lever wouldn't help me roll forward. Had to be towed 5 miles to where a truck could get me, struggling the whole time with the rear wheel locking up. Somebody PLEASE tell me what is going on? Clutch? Carbeurator? Freaking out. Thanks!

First off stock jetting is too lean and needs to be changed. This is one reason you overheated. Since it was new, did you or know if the coolant was purged correctly? In some cases new bikes have a bubble in the water pump and needs to be bled. Most of the time this will fix itself. Jetting, you should have at least a 42 pilot, AP mod and needle in the mid position. Leak jet 42-48 with 1.75 turns out on air screw. Main jet will work but many have went up one size but really is not needed unless you heavily load the motor. Because the motor got hot and assuming your clutch was worked on the hill, most likely the clutch needs replaced. These clutches are known for limited oil flow resulting in heat and dry plates. DO NOT hold the clutch in at idle as this reduces oil flow thru the pack. There are several things to help oil flow, cheap and expensive. Aftermarket baskets and covers have extra holes for oil flow and better tolerances (expensive). These work well and have other advantages. However if you copy the hole patterns on the aftermarket to your OEM basket/cover this will give you a lot better cooling. Caution when drilling, make sure you don’t crack or unbalance the basket (uniform pattern). What year is this bike?? Assuming the cam was replaced if it is a 2007??

Is your motor toast?? Hard to say just how bad the internals are. Do a compression test and a leak down to see just how bad the motor was damage. Replace all the oil, check the clutch, check valves and change the jetting. Run the bike and listen for weird sounds. With correct jetting, valves in spec this bike starts easily and idles.

• Like 1

It's actually a 2009, so there was no cam recall for me to worry about, right?

Thanks for the information regarding the jetting. I'm just going to have a mechanic look at it. I really have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to mess it up any more than I already did. I'm really hoping that the biggest issue is my clutch :/

I wish I bought a 250... I ride this bike too hard...

At 21 you better learn to do the work yourself or have a good career! If you can look over the shoulder of the mechanic the do so. Learning the basic on a bike is priceless. With a 250 you can have the same probems, learning is never cheap.

Desarc did you ever get the jetting figured out?? I have a 2008 150rb with a Full system FMF pipe and have the same problem. I live in Santa Clarita so my jetting should be the same as yours

Edited by mark seitz