Sign in to follow this  

Bikes in an un-heated garage.

Hey! I have a couple of street bikes and several motocross bikes. This winter I dont have a heated garage to store them in. They will be under roof, just not heated. Last year it got down to 10 below around here Fahrenheit. I have checked the radiator fluid. It is good to about 20 below. Any other concerns about the bikes getting this cold? Anyone else store their bikes in an un -heated garage?

I don't have the luxury of a heated garage either, but I don't think it has ever gotten below freezing in it. When I had my 'Busa I just prepped it for storage (coolant/oil/chain/gas/etc..) lifted her up on stands to get tires up, and hooked it up to a battery tender. If you have critters, you may stuff some steel wool in end caps and airbox inlets so they don't get any ideas about nesting.

I use to keep my bikes in an unheated pole barn with no issues .. It'd only be in there usually a month or so before it'd get tore apart in the heated garage for a complete go thru and torn apart

As long as the bike is out of the elements and it doesn't freeze below the capacity of your anti-freeze, it'll be fine.

my bike stays out in the unheated shed all winter no problem. if theres no snow and ice on the ground its going to get a ride to warm it up.

Just check the air filter before you ride in the spring. I thought i plugged all the holes and still had a mouse nest in the airbox. Granted, the mouse was dead in there too, but an anxious spring kick start cost me a full carb and reed cleaning of grass and filter bits. Other than that....

mine gets riden even if theres snow and ice :)

If you don't ride in the snow and ice around here, you only ride a couple of months a year! :lol:

We built a garage and insulated it, but to keep the cold and damp out we got an electric fired oil heater, and put it on a timer.

For a few hours a day it turns on to circulate some heat around the garage, the main reason is my dad keeps vintage bikes and its to stop the cold from flaking the chrome. It works wonders and is pennies an hour to run