Sign in to follow this  

Hello! New to motards!

Hi, my name is hunter and im looking to get a motard sometime soon.

this will be my first bike and i have never ridden before. I am interested because i saw they are good beginner bikes and they look awesome!

i am looking to spend around $4000 so i can only get used. im not really sure whats out there or what would be good for me but ill only use it as a commuter bike, riding some trails possibly, and maybe.... do a track day.

Im 5' 8", 16 yrs old, and around 135 lbs.

Thanks!

My best advice is do some research. Two good bike to start the research with are the Suzuki DRZ400SM and the Yammie WR250X.

Check out these threads and also spend some time on SupermotoJunkie.com

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?52362-WR250x-amp-DRZ400SM-my-comparison

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?41875-What-makes-the-best-street-tard-Revised-edition

For 4k you can find a good supermoto. Might want to take a look at the classifieds section over there as well. There is a guy selling a DRZ with a bunch of mods and low miles for like 4200 right now.

Hope this helps! Once you make a choice and start to learn to ride you won't think about anything else!

PS - If this is your first street bike please do yourself a favor and take the MSF course. It is well worth the money.

Is there anything in particular to look out for when looking at buying a used sumo? Specifically a drz400sm? Essential tune ups, common problems? I only have a ninja 250, so I'm not even sure what the sumo should sound like in person :-p

the drz platform is pretty durable. Unfortunately they sound like an industrial sewing machine stock. Once they have an aftermarket pipe, opened up airbox and some mods they sound a bit better. There really isnt much special to look for. If you go to the DRZ forum on here and look through the "sticky" section at the top there are lists of common problems and fixes. Things like the front sprocket nut needs red loctite. There is an rtv-water pump fix and so on. If you read through those and make notes you will have the right questions to ask.

• Like 1

Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, even experienced riders find something to learn. Wear your protective gear, All Gear All The Time (AGATT). A big empty parking lot is your friend. Ride within your limits. Assume every cager can't see you, and some just want you dead.

Buying a supermoto is a great choice and the DRZ400 or WR250 would be good bikes to consider.

Be sure to have some money set aside for buying proper boots, gloves, helmet, jacket, etc. Buy good quality safety items, not cheap stuff. Like 38super mentioned, take the Motorcycle Safety Class. If you do this right, you can enjoy riding for many years to come. (Done in a careless manner, it can be a very life changing or even life ending experience...)

Be smart and patient as you learn...