Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a KDX 200

Hi everyone first post on the 2T forum.

Found this bike on CL http://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/2723969328.html guys says it probably needs a new top end. Said he let his buddy borrow it and the bike stopped running. He said it sounded like it ran out of gas and now has no compression. I am trying to get it for $400 is this too much for a bike that does not run? I am fine with doing a new piston, rings, reeds and cleaning the KIPS. I do not want to get into the bottom end. I guees there is no way of telling what all is wrong with it. Is this a good year for the KDX anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks

James

95 - 2006 are all exactly the same, aside from some differences in color and graphics. $400 is a good deal, even if you have to do a complete top and bottom rebuild. There is no way to tell if you are going to need to do bottom end work unless he's going to let you pull it apart to inspect. Also check for loose swingarm, linkage, wheel, and steering head bearings. If the whole bike is ragged I might take a pass, since it sounds like you don't want to or can't do most of the work yourself. For me, I'd snatch it in a second at that price and repair whatever is worn out. It's actually pretty close to me, so let me know if you pass on it.

Yeah, for a $400 starting price, you could put a lot of parts in it and still come out with a reasonably priced bike. And one you'll know is in great condition.

The trick is to do all the work yourself. Start paying to have too much done, then the price gets out of hand in a hurry.

Thanks guys I am going to look at it Thursday. If I can't get it for $400 or it is way ragged out I am going to pass. Its not so much that I can't wont do the work myself its just real easy to sink $1000 in a bike that is worth $800. Even doing the work yourself.

If it were mine, no way i'd let it go for $400. KDX's are bringing pretty good money. Since the guy doesn't really know what's wrong though, you might get lucky.