Sign in to follow this  

2001 KTM 380 Clutch Replace/Maintenance

Hey all, this is my first time posting here.

I have looked around a lot, to try to find a direct answer to my question, but cannot seem to find anything.

I ride a 2001 KTM 380 MXC, which is fairly stock except for the pipe, skid plate, pipe guard, seat, tank, etc...no real engine mods.

I've had the bike for about two years now, it runs great, even after all the beatings I put it through.

Recently, the clutch has gotten 'grabbier,' where it won't disengage fully, so I decided to pull apart the clutch on it, and look at the basket/plates.

The plates themselves look great, like they were replaced fairly recently, but the outer basket is grooved to hell. The inner hub looks alright, however.

This is my first time working on a clutch at all, and I am considering taking it into the shop to get it taken care of, but money is an issue, and I prefer to do all the work on my bike myself (I enjoy working on the bike).

I want to buy an aftermarket basket (eyeing Wiseco), but it seems nothing is offered for the 2001 KTM 380 other than stock baskets, which are pricey as hell as it is. So after a bit of poking around, it seems that KTM used the same clutch for all later models of the 250, and the 300, which Wiseco does offer baskets for. My assumption that they are the same models is based on the spec sheets which show the same diagrams, and same 72T baskets, 26/25T primary gears.

Here is my bike's Clutch diagram:

http://www.apexsportsinc.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=424574&category=Motorcycles&make=KTM&year=2001&fveh=9882

And an '11 KTM 250 SX:

http://www.apexsportsinc.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1421609&category=Motorcycles&make=KTM&year=2011&fveh=39540

I am wondering if anyone knows or can verify (or point me to someone who can) whether I can order a clutch basket from Wiseco for a newer model 250/300 and expect them to be compatible with the 380 I have?

Also, I wonder what other parts for the clutch I should order while I'm at it? Should I get a new primary gear? (Do I need to match what I currently have? Should I figure out whether my bike has a 25/26T one?) Should I get a new clutch hub too, just to ensure new clutch plates will work in it? Should I get a new pressure plate also (mine looks a bit worn, and seems to have some very small micro cracks at some points on the edges)?

If I order what's labeled as a "Clutch Basket" from Wiseco, what will it come with? Does it come with the inner hub as well?

I know this is a lot of questions, and a lot of it is pretty specific, but anyone has any knowledge about clutches/clutch replacement, even if not for this bike, that I should have, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if you have any input about why I should go with another brand, like Moose, or Hinson, I would appreciate that as well. I know it's been beaten to death, and after a lot of reading, it seems Wiseco makes quality parts, which is why I have settled on them.

Thank you,

Exbuhe

The 1st thging I would do is replace the hydro fluid. Back bleed from the slave cylinder to the master cylinder. Fresh fluid, with no air in the system, can make a huge difference.

If you need instructions, let me know and I will post them up. Its simple and cheap to do, I replace mine twice a year.

Thank you for replying.

I will do that first when I get a chance to work on the bike. Do you just use mineral oil for your clutch fluid? I've bled brakes on cars before, is it a similar idea, just working backward from the slave to the master? What do you use for pumping the oil through the bleeder valve (is there a special tool for that)?

More than likely the basket is grooved.. The first thing I'd do is drain the oil and pull the cover off and have a look see.. If it isn't grooved too bad you can remove the plates and file the basket back flat again.

Yeah, I have already checked the basket, it is grooved a ton. I would prefer to replace it over filing it down, cause it's the gap that the grooves make that causes the grabbi-ness - I assumed at least. My question was more about what baskets from other bikes match that one, if anyone knows that. But after talking to reps from a local dealer, and from KTMHutt, it looks like no one makes aftermarket baskets that would fit the 380. No word on what other baskets would be the same specs though, so I still have slim hope. But if I can't get a definitive answer within a week, I'm going to order a stock basket and get it done. Going riding over xmas.

It sure seems like a 250/300 basket would fit, but I cant confirm that. I've replaced my clutch basket on my 99 380exc and stuck with oem. Mine too were heavily grooved and I filed them flat but that only lasted a short while before it became grabby again. My clutch seems to be getting louder. With the bike in neutral, when you pull in the clutch it sounds fine but when you release the clutch is gets noisy. I can see I'll need some clutch work down the road. If you find out if a 250/300 aftermarket basket works, let us know as I may go that route.

I will give Barnett a call on Monday and let you guys know. If I had money to drop, I would buy it and if it doesn't work, just re-sell, maybe take a little hit money-wise. KTMHutt and the dealer I talked to seemed pretty adamant that they didn't think it would work, but if you look on KTMHutt's site, they sell the same Rekluse Z-start Clutch for their 250, 300, and 380 sales, which makes me suspicious that it would work. I would really like an aftermarket basket if I'm gonna be spending so much on a stock one anyway.

I may talk to my local shop and find out what the clutch changes were between the 00-02 and 03,04. They are pretty good shop. Also, beware of KTMHutt, they dont have a very good reputation on getting you parts on time or getting them to you at all. I personally didnt have an issue but on another site, many have had problems.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I did call Barnett, forgot to post about it here. They gave me a run-around, couldn't really get a straight answer. Seems that all the big manufacturers of aftermarket parts are too big to get ahold of anyone who would know for sure.

If you could let me know what your dealer says, that would be great. I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

I had a feeling Barnett or even Hinson wont be too helpful on solving this issue. I talked to the guy at the ktm shop. He says it should work. The 380 uses the same basket as a 250/300 and he is pretty sure there were no changes between 00-02 to an 03 or 04. Although I noticed a part no. change to the basket in 04. He said there was also a part no. change to the plates. In order to be 100% sure he wants me to bring in my clutch to compare and measure to a new Barnett basket that he has sitting on his shelf. He really likes the new Barnett baskets because they have stainless steel inserts on the basket fingers to prevent grooving.

Also, right now on ebay is a used Hinson clutch basket that says it's for a 99 380. The guy posted some good pics and one pic shows the Hinson part no. The part no. is H200. H200 is the Hinson part no. for all 03-10 250(2 stroke) and 300s. Very strange that Hinson and Barnett only list from 03 and dont list earlier models if they work.

Barnett and Moose list the same part no. for the fiber and steel clutch plates for the 250/300/380 going from the mid 90's to 2012. So the clutch plates are the same for 250/300/380.

My 2 cents worth is, it will work. I'm tempted to take my clutch apart since its not quite right and have the ktm shop compare the oem basket to a Barnett basket. It sure would be nice to get that Barnett basket with the steel inserts. If I tear into it and find out, I will post.

Edited by pjk380

Ok, sounds good. I did see that all the plates were the same, which made me believe that the basket would at least fit. The biggest concern I had was that the primary gear and the gear on the basket wouldn't fit for some reason. If you do pull your clutch apart and take it in, I would appreciate it a lot if you let me know what you find. Looks like I won't be getting the new basket before christmas riding, that's fine though. I have a KX250 which needs a new basket, which I now have one for. It will give me practice replacing it before the important one. :lol:

The gear on the oem basket is riveted on. On an aftermarket basket it gets bolted onto it. So you can use your original gear when replacing the basket. It all comes apart. If the aftermarket basket comes with the wrong gear you can swap out and use your original gear.

I think I'm gonna tear into it. I thought I'd get a few more rides with it but its time to replace it. This basket has lasted me since 03. I'm on my 3rd top end since then.

Edited by pjk380

I just noticed that you are in Colorado.. Call Roger Dowden at Elite Motors in Loveland. I assure you he can answer all your questions and may have a source for a replacement basket..

Elite

970-461-1022

Any luck matching the baskets?

Yup! It matched up. The Barnett basket lined up perfectly and measured out properly with my oem 380 clutch basket. I confirmed this with my local ktm shop, Z Racing.

The Barnett clutch basket that I picked up and used is for a 250/300, 03-2012, part no. 321-48-01005.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/off_road_clutch_baskets.aspx

I took some pics comparing the Barnett basket and my oem basket as well as installing the basket in the bike. Pics are at

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/landingPageSwitchboard.jsp?token=G271856365311:381856365311&rsvpLink=%2Fsite%2Frest%2Fv1.0%2Fgroup%2Fmetadata%2FG271856365311%3A381856365311&sourceId=179909816903&cm_mmc=Share-_-Event-_-shareCopyLink

The green, yellow stuff on the clutch and in the case is that Redline shockproof gear oil that I use, in case anyone was wondering.

I went riding over the holidays and the clutch is working great. Clutch action and disengagement works as well as it ever did, nothing magic or special with the Barnett basket. I just like the idea of the stainless steel inserts on the fingers to prevent grooving which should outlast an oem basket.

• Like 1

Alright, very cool. I'm glad that was cleared up, and hope that it helps someone else as well. My bike actually seized out in california, so that has taken priority over the clutch, but I will consider this once I've got the engine back together.

Thanks again!

That's good news for us 380 owners!

pjk380 - your picture link is closed. Can you re-post them somehow? Thanks!