Sign in to follow this  

2011 Dr650se temp reaching over 380*F on the highway?

I have the trail tech vapor with a temp sensor that replaces the crush ring for my spark plug, when I take my bike (all stock gearing) on the highway around 75 mph at 5500 rpms (give or take) it goes straight to 380*F and above. Is this something I should be worried about?

My real question is how accurate is the vapor on these temps? I mean there is no way my entire engine is reaching 380 degrees...

I got up that high also while running the interstate at around 75 mph for a good period. You have to keep in mind that your temp sensor is taking its reading from the head and not a liquid cooled section of the motor like you are most likely use to. That reading is a bit high for sure but not in a danger zone by any means.

Relax and enjoy.

I got up that high also while running the interstate at around 75 mph for a good period. You have to keep in mind that your temp sensor is taking its reading from the head and not a liquid cooled section of the motor like you are most likely use to. That reading is a bit high for sure but not in a danger zone by any means.

Relax and enjoy.

That's what I figured considering my engine is not seized up lol. Does trail tech make an oil temp sensor specifically for the dr 650? I checked their site and saw a few but was not sure if they'd fit on my bike.

Yes, an oil temp gauge and even an exhaust-gas temp gauge would be what you really want for accuracy. Lots of auto-related stuff out ther for relatively low dollars. That spark plug thing could still be good for reference tho if you can confirm it's accuracy and how those temps relate to "normal" or "safe".

That's what I figured considering my engine is not seized up lol. Does trail tech make an oil temp sensor specifically for the dr 650? I checked their site and saw a few but was not sure if they'd fit on my bike.

The spark plug sensor fits on the upper/rear oil banjo.

Oil temps on the DR650 are going to be extremely subjective as there is no thermostatic control of oil flow to the cooler. The numbers are going to vary quite a bit between hot summer riding and cold winter riding. Ya, I know, you have to do something with the bling meter provided on the Vapor right? :lol:

Oil temps on the DR650 are going to be extremely subjective as there is no thermostatic control of oil flow to the cooler. The numbers are going to vary quite a bit between hot summer riding and cold winter riding. Ya, I know, you have to do something with the bling meter provided on the Vapor right? :lol:

Well it's more accurate than the air temp on the Vapor...

Do you have a picture of that?

Not as such.

I'm running an Acewell on the DR and the Vapor is on the TT350 but it's got an oil banjo in the same place.

Not as such.

I'm running an Acewell on the DR and the Vapor is on the TT350 but it's got an oil banjo in the same place.

Nordie how do you like the Acewell? I have the Vapor on my KTM.. while it's OK I've always eyed the Acewell for use on my DR...

Does trail tech make an oil temp sensor specifically for the dr 650? I checked their site and saw a few but was not sure if they'd fit on my bike.

They don't make a DR650-specific sensor, but you can use what they already make. Check out this short thread for a link to the parts: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828221&highlight=oil+temp+sensor

(In one of my posts I provided the link to the parts at Trail Tech)

Nordie how do you like the Acewell? I have the Vapor on my KTM.. while it's OK I've always eyed the Acewell for use on my DR...

I've got the 3100.

Physically bigger than the Vapor.

Graphically it's better.

The rev counter is better.

Twin trip meters.

If I could have got one cheap with a temp gauge, I wouldn't have the Vapor.

I really like the Vector though. I've got an Endurance on the Nordwest and like having lots of info right there...

I've got the 3100.

Physically bigger than the Vapor.

Graphically it's better.

The rev counter is better.

Twin trip meters.

If I could have got one cheap with a temp gauge, I wouldn't have the Vapor.

I really like the Vector though. I've got an Endurance on the Nordwest and like having lots of info right there...

The reason I bought the Vapor for the KTM was the thin height profile and the temp gauge. I have a 300EXC which are known for temp issues in the slow going woods riding. I've pretty much given up on getting the RPM meter to work properly... less wraps, more wraps, direct to the coil wire, it still is erratic at best.... useless info on a dirt bike anyway. Since my Katoom is street legal I need the speedo. I wish it had dual trip meters like the Acwell though.

KTM_Dash800x600.JPG

The reason I bought the Vapor for the KTM was the thin height profile and the temp gauge. I have a 300EXC which are known for temp issues in the slow going woods riding. I've pretty much given up on getting the RPM meter to work properly... less wraps, more wraps, direct to the coil wire, it still is erratic at best.... useless info on a dirt bike anyway. Since my Katoom is street legal I need the speedo. I wish it had dual trip meters like the Acwell though.

The tach worked fine on the TT once I powered the Vapor by DC rather than AC.

I have the trail tech vapor with a temp sensor that replaces the crush ring for my spark plug, when I take my bike (all stock gearing) on the highway around 75 mph at 5500 rpms (give or take) it goes straight to 380*F and above. Is this something I should be worried about?

I have a vapor too and I recently post on this site somewhere how mine has reached a high temp of 157° C (314°F) That was recently in 40°C (104°F) outside air temps and not moving but idling for quite a while in the middle of no-where.

It normally sits at about 80 to 90°C normal riding and highway but gets high when not moving.

My engine temp progressively builds up from cold and tend to settle with only minor fluctuation due to amount of air going through the oil cooler.

I don't know that it is any different but mine work that way because I filed out my sensor that is supposed to go on the plug, and fitted it to my upper oil banjo on the head. In my opinion it's much more accurate, and easier to understand why the engine may be getting hot at times.

Those temps you're getting do sound a bit high in comparison.

By the way, if any one is wondering how to make the degrees (°) sign, press and hold ALT and type 0176. when you release the ALT button the ° will miraculously appear

Edited by kezzajohnson
add something