Sign in to follow this  

Water proofing?

I went for a long long ride the other day and the 'Berg was flawless! That was until the jet wash a few miles from my house... Maybe I got carried away but whatever happened I could not get it going again and had to push it home! Not what you want after 100 miles of offroading! A couple of days later it starts first kick again!

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I managed to soak to stop it working and any tips for stopping it happening again? I would like it to be very waterproof, I hate the idea that some water in the wrong place will stop it working as I'm always playing in the rivers!!

Ben

Pressure washers can easily overwhelm the weather seals. Its anyones guess which component you "hosed" enough to short. I would go through and unplug each part and smear some di-electric grease in each one. They often dont, or use very little from the factory (its expensive for OEM's). It certainly wont hurt anything and can only help...

I have heard of others having problems when the spark plug wire and cap get wet. Some people even carry a spare cable. I just put a cable tie around the cap to make it snug against the wire. So far I haven't had any problems. Maybe you could also spray the cable with silicon or something.

First.... What model and year is the Berg? "It kick started days later" tells me it is not the 09'-012" models. It also tells me that usually the most simple explanation is usually the cause. From your detail, it sounds like the plug got wet.

It's an '04 FE450. The only thing that worries me is that riding through a river could cause a similar problem! I'm going to get some di-electric grease and go over every connection and the plug lead too! Hopefully it won't happen again, although it was particularly muddy hence the 'over zealous' hosing!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Ben