Sign in to follow this  

2005 WR450R or 2004 KLX400R

I am looking to buy my first bike and would like to ask for some opinions on the two bikes I'm looking at. First is a 2005 WR450R, the other is a 2005 KLX400R. I plan to ride in the desert (hard pack, very little soft sand) and do a few enduro rides (around 400 miles). I rode a DRZ 350 and was completely comfortable with the power of that bike, so I'm not too worried about the 400 or 450 size. I am 6' tall and 190lb. The KLX is set for street use already, where the WR is not. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would go with the WR. IMO, they are better bikes than the KLXs. Ive owned a 2001 WR426 for a while...its a hard running, reliable bike. If you have the cash, you might consider KTM 400/450 EXC.

The KLX is a DRZ gone green. 2 completely different bikes really. What do you want to do and how much maintenance do you feel you need to do?

The KLX is an older style bike that has a good reputation for being a rock solid and reliable after a few fixes. Will go all day, where ever you want to take it and only needs basic maintenance to keep it going for tens of thousands of Km. The WR can be a beast, truly faster, lighter, more nimble and above all capable of running with anyone in an enduro. An unrestricted bike will go like the clappers and with some RM parts you can have a track bike.

Now it's up to you. The KLX can be suped up to go well and there are endless ways you can make it seem newer, but for cross country open ground it is the type of bike you can ride every weekend, clean the filter and then ride to work all week, change the oil now and again and just ride. The WR while being reliable for what it is, will need a lot more work over a year of hard use, but is a lot faster. Read the DRZ forum, it is full of guys spending heaps to make their bikes go and handle like a WR or similar, is that you? If you are a go-fast or go-home competitive type walk (better still run) away from the KLX, it's not you. If you want to have fun and want to get there and back, every time and not spend time wrenching when you could be riding, go Green (or Yellow).

Anyway take it all with a pinch of salt, I still ride an XR4.

I'm not a big go faster guy. I just like to ride and have fun doing it. the long distance rides are what I'm most interested in and the less maintainance always sounds better. I do like that the WR is lighter though. Sounds as thought the KLX my be more my speed.

I have a WR 450. The best thing I can say about it is that it is utterly reliable and tough as heck. I have taken some spills hard enough to break entire skeletal systems and the bike got ridden out. I never touch the motor, valves, etc. I just change the oil and clean the air filter. The bike is fast enough and it actually rides pretty well on the trails. I don't think you could go wrong with the WR

I have a WR 450. The best thing I can say about it is that it is utterly reliable and tough as heck. I have taken some spills hard enough to break entire skeletal systems and the bike got ridden out. I never touch the motor, valves, etc. I just change the oil and clean the air filter. The bike is fast enough and it actually rides pretty well on the trails. I don't think you could go wrong with the WR

+1...and it will only go as fast as you want it to go.

i have an 05wr450 and it's all the bike i need for trails and xc racing. also have an 09 drz dualsport and love it for what i use it for. if you're only going to ride off road then take the wr. if the kwack has a plate though it will let you go places a dirt only bike can't. i'd probably take the klx if plated.

Well, the WR got sold before I could get to it and I haven't heard back from the guy on the KLX yet, left three messages. I'm guessing it's sold too. So, now I have come across a 2002 KTM 520 EXC and 2005 Husqvarna TE510, both plated and registered for California. More bike then the previous two, but only a couple hundred dollars more. A friend has a 2005 KTM 450EXC and he loves it. Don't know anything at all about the Husqvarna. Thoughts on these two?

I would go with the KTM. The 2007 and prior KTMs had the "RFS" engine design which is a perfect combination of performance and low maintenance reliability. The KTM is a little dated, but if its clean, I would much rather have it than a Husqvarna. They are nice looking bikes, but I dont think the quality is in the same league as KTM, Honda, or Yamaha.

I would look for a newer 450 EXC. I know a couple of guys that ride KTM 450 EXCs with 350+ hours on the original top ends. A KTM mechanic once told me that the RFS engines will normally run about 400 hours if they are maintained properly and not ridden like a MX bike.

One thing to consider is dealerships near you,or lack of.If you do your own work,and dont mind getting parts stricktly on line,it's not a big deal.I keep hearing the ktms are the shit,but I couldn't tell you where to find a dealer near me.I know of a dozen yammi,kaw,zuk dealers with in an hr drive of my house.something I will research before I try a ktm,is who the hell sells them around here.

Three KTM dealers in my area. I will be looking at the KTM tonight and the Husqvarna tomorrow. They are asking $2900 for the KTM and $2600 for the TE510. Seems like a decend price.

Well, turns out the TE510 is a 2005 and NOT street certified. And the KTM was in good shape, just not sure teh $2900 was a good price for a 2002. So back to square one. Thanks everybody

2900 sure seems a little steep for an 02, I only paid like 2800 for my 05 450exc which btw is a great bike, those ktms sure are pretty sweet bikes :lol:

Well, bought the '02 KTM 520EXC last night and took it out today. AWESOME!!!! The bike ran great. The guy came down in the price and threw in some free gear. I'm a happy guy right now!!

Well, bought the '02 KTM 520EXC last night and took it out today. AWESOME!!!! The bike ran great. The guy came down in the price and threw in some free gear. I'm a happy guy right now!!

Awesome! :lol: those are great bikes, just take good care of it ( regular maint. Oil and air filter changes ect.) And it'll take care of you and last you a long time.