Sign in to follow this  

Tecate to Cabo- Need Tire of Choice

Hi guys

I'm a Canadian guy that can give you an idea on a good tire for sandy loam single track but when it comes to Baja I have no idea.

Doing a trail ride from Tecate to Cabo and have boiled it down to the Maxxis Des IT or the new Kenda Parker DT http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcycle/mx/parker-dt.aspx

would like to hear what you think.

I personally don't like the Maxxis. A D606 last a very long time and is decent, but not so much in the soft stuff. I just put 500 miles in baja on a Bridgestone ED78 and was real happy with it. Looks like it will last almost as long as the 606, but better traction.

Hi guys

I'm a Canadian guy that can give you an idea on a good tire for sandy loam single track but when it comes to Baja I have no idea.

Doing a trail ride from Tecate to Cabo and have boiled it down to the Maxxis Des IT or the new Kenda Parker DT http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcycle/mx/parker-dt.aspx

would like to hear what you think.

Sounds like your doing a BajaBound trip? I just did that ride this past October and started out with a new Dunlop MX-71. I gotta say it worked out great but was completely bald by La Paz.

We installed a new Maxxis IT (Not a Desert IT) for the final day's ride to Cabo, so I'm guessing I put about 150 miles on it that day and have used it three times since for a total of maybe 400 miles and it still hooks up OK with less than 1/2 tread ware.

I love the Dunlop MX-51 but it will only last you about 400 miles. I'd go with the Maxxis IT, it'll last you the whole trip.

RAK

Last year we went from San Felipe to Cabo and back on maxxis desert it. One set made it all the way. The other set made it to Cabo but the rear had to be replaced in Loretto on the way back up. This was due to improper bib mousse install. Still had decent tread left after the trip.

maxxis desert it.

+1 :lol:

On any long ride in that type of terrain, the way you ride is going to determine how long your tire is going to last. You can flog just about any tire to death in 100 miles if you are hammering it.

+1 :lol:

On any long ride in that type of terrain, the way you ride is going to determine how long your tire is going to last. You can flog just about any tire to death in 100 miles if you are hammering it.

For sure, i would be more concerned with having good tubes and flat prevention. Not much traction in baja. I accidently put on the maxxis si in the front once and loved it. Throttle control will go along way toward cabo

Combo choice #1) M12xc Michelin front with Bib & Dunlop D606 rear with Heavy duty tube inflated at 20psi

Combo choice #2) Bridgestone M403 front with Bib & Bridgestone ED78 Gritty rear with Heavy duty tube inflated at 20psi

Combo choice #3) Dunlop Geomax(31 or 51) front with Bib & Dunlop D739 rear with Heavy duty tube inflated at 20psi

We've used all these combos successfully in Baja races. Front Bib is a must, really! Yes, seriously proved that the hardway again this year! Team I raced with didn't have them, result - front flat at RM 10?! :lol:

We've also used Pirelli, and Maxxis with less success. I personally would go with Pirelli over the Maxxis, but a lot of guys run both this and seem to like them? In addition we sometimes run rear bib's, but we change the rear wheels every 200-400 miles due to melting of the rear bib. The fronts last longer, but the rears are risky...

I'm leaving from Tecate to Cabo (and back) this Friday. My choice of tire is the Dunlop D952. I absolutely love this tire, but can't yet recommend it for a ride of this distance. I'll let you know when I get back!

I'm leaving from Tecate to Cabo (and back) this Friday. My choice of tire is the Dunlop D952. I absolutely love this tire, but can't yet recommend it for a ride of this distance. I'll let you know when I get back!

I have ridden to the tip multiple times.

952 makes it all the way everytime.

I have ridden to the tip multiple times.

952 makes it all the way everytime.

The Kenda Parker DT front and Dunlop 739 AT rear is a good Baja combo too.

Just did that ride with a Desert IT.

Ran a MX51 in the front with Bridgestone extra heavy duty tubes wrapped in old standard tubes. No flats and had plenty of rubber when I rolled into Cabo.

Looking to do the Tecate to La Paz one way trip. So we are going to ship the bikes back and meet some hotties for a couple of days at La Paz (ok our wives) If known, what shipping company was used to ship the bikes back? Thanks

I can't tell you the amount of times we field calls concerning the above post (lots).

How many bikes?

There's many commercial Mex trucking outfits and likely they'd deliver them north but not across the border. But who knows first hand, like you've done it, to answer?

MSR used to do it this way but it's with enough bikes to fill a tractor trailer (likely not the case here).

Ever consider the Pirelli MT 43 trails tires? Just installed them on my WR along with the Tubliss system and I can't believe how good they work on all kinds of terrain. Run low air pressure (8 - 9 psi) and they stick better than any knobby I've tried. They also wear forever. They look funny on a dirt bike, but the DS guys are all switching to these. I love mine.

Ever consider the Pirelli MT 43 trails tires? Just installed them on my WR along with the Tubliss system and I can't believe how good they work on all kinds of terrain. Run low air pressure (8 - 9 psi) and they stick better than any knobby I've tried. They also wear forever. They look funny on a dirt bike, but the DS guys are all switching to these. I love mine.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster

Sounds like a recipe for disaster

Don't knock it till you're tried it! I'll never go back to a knobby after these tires. Only downside is that it is more difficult to break the tire loose when sliding turns - they're that sticky!!!

What's the debate? In my experience, there is no down side. Tubes are a pain in the A$$. I've not had a single flat with this setup and all I carry is a plug kit.