Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seals

I discovered a small leak in my fork seals. Does this mean that i am in need of a new set of fork seals or is there a way to stop the minor leaking and not have to replace it? Thank You.

you can try popping down the dust seals and cleaning out the area. you can then try sliding something like a business card between the seal and the tube to work out any possible debris.

Get a tearoff and run it up under the seal. Works for me sometimes.

Can also try a roll of film the little squares help to pull out the dirt. And no a small leak dosent mean you have to do the seals right now but it means you should start planning on it.

My mechanic that does all the major work on my bike has told me before that even water spots on the forks can cause the seals to leak so wipe them down good after washing.

clean your fork tubes really well, then pop the dust wipers off with a flathead screwdriver and slide them down. use a tearoff, film negative, or piece of thin plastic and slide it up underneath the seals and go the whole way around several times. then wipe off all the excess oil. hold the front brake in and pump the forks up and down 3 or 4 times then wipe off the oil, and repeat this step about 10 times or until no more oil comes out. this will reseal the forks

clean your fork tubes really well, then pop the dust wipers off with a flathead screwdriver and slide them down. use a tearoff, film negative, or piece of thin plastic and slide it up underneath the seals and go the whole way around several times. then wipe off all the excess oil. hold the front brake in and pump the forks up and down 3 or 4 times then wipe off the oil, and repeat this step about 10 times or until no more oil comes out. this will reseal the forks

And then put on some seal-savers! prevention is always better than repair :lol: