Sign in to follow this  

2007 450 Running Lean and Sloppy, Ideas??

...and so the sorrowful mechanical saga of the Rmz450 garage ornament continues. I need some suggestions on what could be causing this current issue because I am mentally spent with this! :)

I just got my rewound stator back from Ricky Stator (I had fried the old one by doing work on the clutch and shavings got into motor). Tested the rewound unit, seems to be putting out all the right juice. She starts, but runs like crap. Idle floats, header glows, flames spit out the exhaust, erratic all around and poor throttle response. Seems to me it's insanely lean...but...please read on...

The bike had ran perfect before I killed the stator. Then after that died I spent a long time ruling out everything thinking it was a fuel issue at first...carb was cleaned along with the rest of the fuel system. All jets were clean and float height/valve stuff was flawless. I had actually pulled the carb and gutted it twice to confirm this. Checked the valve timing - good. So now that the stator is fixed and all the ignition parts test OK, I have a bike that all looks great but runs terrible. What the fudge could it be now.

Any suggestions welcome. Why is this thing running so poorly...:lol:

Normal for the header to glow especially if you're watching it at night! The "slow jet" (pilot) is notorious for getting plugged on 4T's. If most of your problem is off idle to about a 1/4 throttle I'd recheck it again. A new stator is not going to cause a lean condition unless your timing is way off.

Thanks for the tips.

I took out the pilot jet and it was clean. Upon putting it back together she actually starts and runs decent now, save for a bad idle issue.

When you're on the gas it's fine, bike runs as it should. Idle is erratic and crazy though...sits at like 2500 rpm then if you turn down the idle adj. it just bogs and stalls. Something seems to be amiss but the jets are all clean!

I checked to see if any cables were binding and causing the issue but no luck. I did however notice when pulling in the hot start when bike is warm and idling it now bogs and dies instead of raising the rpm's as it did before....

Anyways appreciate the help!

Mine started running lean out of nowhere one day and my problem turned out to be an air leak on the rubber carb boot. it had managed to split where the clamp goes on the engine side.

Very interesting! I took a quick look at the boot (actually both boots) today but could not see any cracks. Something like this would explain a lot though, I will have to pull it apart later this week. Been busy because I will be swearing in for the Army this Weds! ...sorry I'm a little pumped up :lol: Try not to be scared that America's newest UH-60 Blackhawk mechanic can't even figure out how to run his damn bike.

Anyways thanks, like I said an air leak would explain a lot. I'll check it out more.