Sign in to follow this  

What to look for on a used four stroke?

Going to go check out and test ride a husky 450 tomorrow... I've heard of all the usual tricks, steering head play, bottom part of the frame/skid plate inspection, dirt where grime builds up, that kind of thing. Just curious what to listen for and note on a four stroke engine? I've heard of things like "rod knock" and "piston slap" but don't really understand.

Could one of you helpful individuals give me a rundown of potential problems and their symptoms? It's a buddy I'm buying from, so he's not going to INTENTIONALLY screw me, but he may not know what is going on.

How do I know if the valves need adjustment? etc.

also, fyi, The kid has 3 other KTMs. He bought the husky, rode it twice, and doesn't like it. Freakin' motocrossers :lol:

Here is what I do. First a good once over looking for obvious leaks, fork seals, rear shock, are there any dings on the fork tubes? I will actually bounce up and down on the bike to work the forks and shock, pump the brakes and look for leaks. engine, radiator, get down and look underneath, around the drain bolt(s), front sprocket. Also look for cracks around the engine mounting brackets, frame, swing arm. Any strange noises when the suspension is worked? Binding or stiction? Spin the wheel. Do they turn freely? Any strange noises? How about the head bearings? Do the handlebars turn freely? Check the air filter. Is it clean or covered with months worth of crud? An air filter can tell you lots about how the bike has been maintained. I will pull the air filter and check the intake boot. Is it clean or does it have dust or dirt in it? Feel the spokes. Any feel obviously loose or bent? Run your finger around the rims. Any cracks or bends? Next is to start it up, let it idle and warm up. Does it start easily, does it idle smoothly? I get right down next to the engine listening for strange noises, cam chain, rattles, knocks. Look at the bolts on the engine, have they been turned or never touched? If a guy tells me he just did a new top end but the bolts are factory fresh, then we have a problem. How about the chain? Is it properly adjusted? I would rather have a chain that is to loose as opposed to being to tight. Has the chain been maintained or is it dry and rusty? Now is time for a test ride, you dont have to bounce it off the rev limiter to get an idea of how well it runs. Go through the gears, up and down. Does it shift smoothly or does it shift rough or hard? How does the clutch feel? Smooth and free or notchy? Does it grab or slip? How about the throttle? Does it roll on smoothly, snap back crisply? Front and rear brakes. Do they work? How do the rotors look? After the test ride, shut it off, then start it right back up. Does it still start easily? Hard starting when the engine is warm is a good sign the valves need adjusting. If at this point I am satisfied with the bike I will ask to see the oil filter. If he really wants to sell the bike it shouldnt be a big deal. Pull the oil filter and look for bits of metal or chunks of clutch. How does the filter look? Is it in good shape or has it been in the bike for a while? How does the oil look? Clean or black as tar? Yes I know you cant tell a LOT by just looking at the oil but you can see any obvious negligence. Check the oil drain bolt. Does it look as if it has some use to it or has it been in the bike from the factory? Same for the oil filter cover bolts. How about any mis-matched bolts or nuts?Sometimes bolts can tell you a lot.

Thats about all I can think of... Hope this helps.

First thing to look for when buying a used 4 stroke is..... A 2 stroke! :lol: other post is a pretty good lead as to what to look/listen for

First thing to look for when buying a used 4 stroke is..... A 2 stroke! :) other post is a pretty good lead as to what to look/listen for

My 250 2t has nothing on 450s when it comes to what I ride! Then again its old and tired :lol: