Sign in to follow this  

wire broke and dont know what to do?? pic inside

i was going over my bike this week just doing routine maintenance and found this. IMG_0892.jpg

:lol:

this is the plug that goes into the airbox. im new to the efi so i do not know what this does and havnt ordered a shop manual yet. The bike does run or did the other day befor i tore it down and i know this just didnt happen. so im wondering what it is and what it does? do i need to buy a entire new wiring harness now because of this?

any input would be greatly appreciated and this is a 2008 rmz450.

By the way I just found out that it is the air temp sensor.

thanks a lot

nick

Edited by nickkx_f
Found new info

you shoud be able to pop the terminal out of the plug and crimp a new bit of wiire in then crimp join that to the broken bit. i say use crimp joins because soldering can effectcircuit resistances.probaly not to crucial on a air temp sensor tho

Solder it! Get rosin core solder at an elctronic store. They have a liquid elctrical tape that will recoat the wire if exposed at all. Use dielctric grease and fasten cables securely. If cables are near the frame-get rubber tabe or shrink tubing for cable at that area.

solder it! first remove the rubber plug on top, push thw wire through, strip the wire. Get a small solder iron and rosin core solder at a craft store, hobby store. solder the wire to the cut piece, get some liquid electrical tape but i would use heat shrink, its much better. slid the plug back down and pull the black cover over the wires again and its good as new. or.... you can simply buy the wire fom a OEM parts store and just unplug the old and plug in the new