Sign in to follow this  

oil change every ride?

I race vmx, and change after every race. But my vintage trials bikes are about every 2 or 3 competitions. So about every hour of racing for my vmx bikes. 5-8 hours for the trials bikes.

You are going to get a wide range of answers on this. Some guys will do it every ride, some every 3 hrs. Personally i think every ride is just a waste i usually do mine every 5th ride

The best thing to do is get a hour meter and change it accordingly.

I change my oil and clean the filter (stainless steel) every ride, about every 2 to 3 hours. Also a clean air filter every ride. EVERY RIDE. Clean oil and a clean air filter are the most important things you can do for your engine.

I change oil every 3 rides. Most of my rides are 2 day trips with approximately 120 miles per ride. I change my air filter every ride. My engine thanks me with long term reliability.

CoKTM

on a 4stroke, i change before 10 hrs (1-3 rides).

On a 2-stroke, i'll go 15-30.

If your rides are only 45 mins long, 3 rides isn't much, but for normal humans 3 rides is 8-10 hours I think, and that's about as long as I'd like to run oil in a bike that shares the tranny with the rest of the motor oil.

I change my oil whenever I feel like it or have time for it. I wouldn't push it more than 6-8 ride days. Just a recreational rider. Still, racer or not, changing oil after every race seems wasteful.

On the big DR650 I change it every 5k or once a year, whatever comes first... but that motor was made for use in military tanks I think, could probably fill it with soap and it'd be happy.

well i ride all around my house and side roads. i put about 20 k a day on my bike. so not that much. but i havent changed mine since spring and its still a golden colour. i will change it in the spring probly

I change my oil when it is most convenient to me. Sometimes it is after 3 or 4 rides, sometimes a little longer.

I change my oil and clean the filter (stainless steel) every ride, about every 2 to 3 hours. Also a clean air filter every ride. EVERY RIDE. Clean oil and a clean air filter are the most important things you can do for your engine.

you are very likely, no.. you are wasting time and money.. but if it makes you feel good have at it.

I've always changed mine when it was dirty. Some days might only be 30 minutes to an hour of riding, that's throwing money away. Air filter gets cleaned every time I see dirt but the oil only when it's needed.

I change the oil on my YZ450F every 10 hours. I have a Trailtech and I set the reminder on it for 10 hours, so it makes it easy to remember. On 2 strokes you can easily go 3 times this amount since the oil only lubricated the transmission. It doesn't get carbon deposits in it like a 4 stroke does.

It depends on the ride to me.I dual sport my wr,so if Im just bombing around the hood,and playing on dirt roads,I may not change it for a month.If i change my gearing,and go hit the trails hard for a wkend,or dunes for a day,I change as soon as I get home.I dont think you can clean your air filter too often,I have two,so one is always clean.

If you change your oil after every ride you risk stripping threads,and I think it is a waste of money.

I actually have changed mine after every ride for the past year,but it's because I broke a small piece off of a spline on the center hub and it instantly disappeared into the engine,never to be seen again. I tried flushing it out but never found it. I'm sure it's long since been ground up and drained out,but for the cost of 700ml of ATF,I'll continue to do it until my mind is at ease.

I know a few local fast aggressive racers and riders who do that. Their 'ride' consists of 4 or 5 hours of full throttle off-road or track use. Done riding = oil change.