Sign in to follow this  

oil change every ride?

10 hours on the hour meter....air filter when its dirty.......

:lol:

A couple points for all you guys cleaning your airfiter every ride regardless...

A slightly dirty filter filters better than a clean one

You are not going to suck dirt that is on your airfilter in the engine, it's designed to TRAP dirt

Every time you change your filter you run the risk and having really bad dirt particles falling into your intake. Miss some of these and you will have damage.

Oil varies with application, Racing, one race, change. Cruising, every 10hrs or so on a 4 stroke, longer on a 2.

I own a KTM, less than a quart of engine oil, less than a quart of transmission oil and exactly a quart of coolant. That is the bare minium for an engine the size of a 530. That fluid is going to break down sooner, so I change my oil every 100 miles. But it's worth it, KTM's are the throughbreds of dirt bikes! :lol:

:lol:

A couple points for all you guys cleaning your airfiter every ride regardless...

A slightly dirty filter filters better than a clean one

You are not going to suck dirt that is on your airfilter in the engine, it's designed to TRAP dirt

Every time you change your filter you run the risk and having really bad dirt particles falling into your intake. Miss some of these and you will have damage.

Oil varies with application, Racing, one race, change. Cruising, every 10hrs or so on a 4 stroke, longer on a 2.

I disagree.the more air you move thru your motor,the more power it makes.thats why every one does airbox mods,porting,pipes And runs a clean airfilter.I can tell right away if my airfilter is dirty,because I try to keep my jetting perfect,power falls of with a dirty filter.

If you wash your bike,and shop vac your airbox,before you pull your filter,as I do you should have no problems with dirts in your intake.A properly cleaned and oiled filter stops dirt better then dirt,other wise filters would be made out of dirt.

To each there own,just my $.02

I disagree.the more air you move thru your motor,the more power it makes.thats why every one does airbox mods,porting,pipes And runs a clean airfilter.I can tell right away if my airfilter is dirty,because I try to keep my jetting perfect,power falls of with a dirty filter.

If you wash your bike,and shop vac your airbox,before you pull your filter,as I do you should have no problems with dirts in your intake.A properly cleaned and oiled filter stops dirt better then dirt,other wise filters would be made out of dirt.

To each there own,just my $.02

I didn't talk about power :lol:

just motor longevity.

A four stroke when ridden hard will shear the oil out of grade in about 3 hours. If you do an oil analysis you will see that this is true.

Go to bob is the oil guy.com and look up motorcycle oil analysis done by a guy named "sunruh." He has done over 50 over the past few years and you will be surprised by his findings. Usually the expensive motorcycle oils fair worse than shell rotella oil.

But it is proven time and time again the oil is shot after about 3 hours of HARD use.

I add a half a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, does that count?

As far as the sellers on CL, I think they see other ads and say "that sounds like a good selling point" and copy it - these are your slightly above the far below average IQ of CL sellers.

It means nothing even if it's true. You can tell a lot more about the condition and overall treatment of the bike by looking at the hidden, but minimally invasive things like the air filter and spark plug as well as how it feels when you kick it over and finally how it runs and rides.

I also have a list of questions I like to ask CL sellers right off the bat, too many missed or bad answers means it's not even worth my time to go look at it.

I'll post that list if you want me to. And to date, not a single person has answered all the questions correctly.

I change the oil when I can't remember the last time I did it. Probably 6-8 hours. I clean the filter when it's visibly covered in a thick layer of dirt.

I'm a racer and I haven't had an internal engine failure since 1981. Knock on wood!

I sort of chuckle with threads like this….. Today’s oils are very good. They will go much longer than anyone on this tread thinks.

For about 15 years I road around with a guy who changed the bike’s oil way too often. He even changed oil between rides. I wised up and began taking a container along with us to collect his “used” oil. I then put his “used” oil in my bike. He was mortified at first, but soon passed me off as “crazy.” Great guy to ride with. I didn’t buy any oil for 15 years. Never had an engine failure. Like to find someone else like him. Oil is so expensive these days!!

For about 15 years I road around with a guy who changed the bike’s oil way too often. He even changed oil between rides. I wised up and began taking a container along with us to collect his “used” oil. I then put his “used” oil in my bike. He was mortified at first, but soon passed me off as “crazy.” Great guy to ride with. I didn’t buy any oil for 15 years. Never had an engine failure. Like to find someone else like him. Oil is so expensive these days!!

:lol:/\You're my hero/\:)

Oil+Filter and Air Filter every 10 hours or whenever the YZ window turns black:thumbsup:

My maximum interval is what the manufacturer says, but my minimum is decided by my foot. You can feel in the shifter when the oil starts to go south. The shifts get more clunky and you can just feel more contact going on during shifts. Id never been able to quantify a mileage amount to it until I got my dual sport. Dino oil starts to feel bad fast. Usually around 1k miles or less depending on how I run it. Running an ester based oil now, going to see at what mileage it starts to feel bad. I will say though, comparing new oil to new, the dino felt velvety smooth at the start and went down hill. The ester didn't feel as smooth at the start but hasn't really been feeling like its degrading. For same weight, I would swear the ester based is thinner feeling. Maybe its all in my head.

A four stroke when ridden hard will shear the oil out of grade in about 3 hours. If you do an oil analysis you will see that this is true.

Go to bob is the oil guy.com and look up motorcycle oil analysis done by a guy named "sunruh." He has done over 50 over the past few years and you will be surprised by his findings. Usually the expensive motorcycle oils fair worse than shell rotella oil.

But it is proven time and time again the oil is shot after about 3 hours of HARD use.

You guys going longer than 5 hrs need to take note about this. A used oil analysis is far more telling than the color of the oil.

Let me make this simple: If you're running a 20/50W oil, in 5 hrs or less it's a 20W oil. It may be golden in color but it's a 20W oil. in 5 hrs or less a 10/40W is a 10W oil. Now ask yourself this, when I'm screaming at 11k rpm's, do I want a 10W or a 20W oil in my bike? I don't. I want a 50W.

You guys going longer than 5 hrs need to take note about this. A used oil analysis is far more telling than the color of the oil.

Let me make this simple: If you're running a 20/50W oil, in 5 hrs or less it's a 20W oil. It may be golden in color but it's a 20W oil. in 5 hrs or less a 10/40W is a 10W oil. Now ask yourself this, when I'm screaming at 11k rpm's, do I want a 10W or a 20W oil in my bike? I don't. I want a 50W.

i have seen a lot of used oil analysis and have never seen as drastic of a change as you are stating here. not saying you haven't, but my experience says that over time a 40w oil may eventually get to 30w and a 30w oil may break down towards a 20w but certainly not a 50w breaking down to a 20w in just a few hours of use. we would all have blown up engines if that were the case as the vast majority of yamaha users would be running 10w oil in their bikes through the summer months and trashing everything inside. this is simply not the case in all the real world bikes i have seen.

I sort of chuckle with threads like this….. Today’s oils are very good. They will go much longer than anyone on this tread thinks.

im weird, i agree with you, but change oil like your friend did anyway.

in my truck i run it forever, but on my bikes i change the oil every couple rides.

Not a 2 stroke on CL around here with more than 5 hours on the top end. And I'm shocked by the number of people who go to the trouble and expense of doing the bottom end and sell the bike after only riding it for 10 hours max. These are the same people who lie about oil changes I'm sure. People who buy my 2 strokes must be getting clapped out PsOS,because I've never even taken an engine out of a bike,much less split the cases.

Sounds like some people spend more time doing oil changes than they do actually riding :lol:

I was doing changes at 12-15hrs.

Sent a few samples out to a lab for analysis. Said i'm good for 25-30hrs.

Now I do oil changes every 25-30hrs.

Did a top end and some head work at 9049mi/359.1H. Preventative more than anything else, but everything in there looked good. New piston, run a hone through the cylinder, new crank bearings (can be problematic in KTM RFS motors with heavy sumo/dualsport use), and she's good to go.

I've got about 12,500 miles on my bike now.

Not a 2 stroke on CL around here with more than 5 hours on the top end. And I'm shocked by the number of people who go to the trouble and expense of doing the bottom end and sell the bike after only riding it for 10 hours max. These are the same people who lie about oil changes I'm sure. People who buy my 2 strokes must be getting clapped out PsOS,because I've never even taken an engine out of a bike,much less split the cases.

I hate that! Most people say brand new engine, or new top end, or like you said only 10 hours on new top end. I highly doubt someone just replaced the top end on a 4 or 2 stroke just to sell it. Ive only seen a few who say they've done the bottom.